Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:04:54 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Within 10 years we will all own more than 21 Million Bitcoins each  (Read 1424 times)
Bitcoinpro (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:08:21 PM

thats how exchanges work

all commodities including oil

everything is leveraged out

X 100,000

of what actually exists

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:15:33 PM

What are you talking about  Huh
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:17:14 PM

I don't understand, this guy sometimes talks really weird shit.

OP, no, no one can own more than 21 million BTC, that is the hard coded limit, it's immutable (unless massive consensus was reached to change it, which will never happen since it would insta crash the price).
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2016, 06:17:32 PM

Im lost here as well. Bitcoin cap is 21 million. we wont all hold 21 million bitcoins each. by the time supply is exhausted some people will own 100s or 1000s while the majority have 1 or less.

Bitcoinpro (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:30:21 PM

I don't understand, this guy sometimes talks really weird shit.

OP, no, no one can own more than 21 million BTC, that is the hard coded limit, it's immutable (unless massive consensus was reached to change it, which will never happen since it would insta crash the price).

Exchanges only hold a fraction of the Bitcoin traded on them

Fiat is the most leveradged of all assets

The combined Fiat of all the Rich people could by all

the assets of the world over 100 times

and they already own all the assets

Thats why never ending inflation

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:32:36 PM

though the OP is sometimes rambling..
this time he is not talking about the real bitcoins on private keys.. but all of the "account" balances on exchanges represented in mySql databases.

EG many people still think they can get back the 800,000btc that were on mtgox, then the few hundred thousand here and few thousand there from other exchanges.
then adding all the coins currently on coinbase, btcc, bitfinex and you will see that the total "presumption" of coins held on "accounts" is actually far more then the real amount of coins attached to private keys.

another thing is not only are their coins on exchange accounts databases that dont tally to private keys.. but the number of orders on the buy and sell order lists of every exchange does not always tally against funds held in accounts. the exchanges themselves add on a few orders (some call it ghosting) where it fills in the gaps and helps to try keeping the price within a certain range.

in short. if you added up all the orders on exchanges, and then done a balance check of exchange customers. and then tallied that against funds held on private keys.. the numbers wont match..

so althought you cannot fractional reserve a private key, you can fractional reserve the mysql database of an exchange.. both mtgox and cryptsy got in trouble for that. letting people play with funds with no real bitcoin private key backing the funds on the "accounts"

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Bitcoinpro (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:39:41 PM

The 1 Trillion  TARP bailout in the United States in 2009 Cool

was because of over leveraged mortgate backed securities

in other words more mortgage bonds where issued than

mortgages that existed not to mention house prices also

fell so people stopped paying those mortgages. If it

was just the case of 1:1 leverage of MBS their wouldnt

have been enough defaults to crash 100's of Banks.

The levarage multiplied the housing downturn by

a factor of 100 on the books of the banks.

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 8263

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:42:10 PM

thats how exchanges work

everything is leveraged out

X 100,000

of what actually exists

Absolute nonsense.

If your analogy were to hold true, then (given that gold has existed as a commodity for thousands of years) we'd all already hold hundreds of tons of gold each by now.

We might have a lot of gold except that in 1933, gold coins, bullion and certificates were taken from us at gunpoint by the federal gov't under Executive Order #6102, placed into Fort Knox and then in 1934 assigned a value of $35 per ounce.  This was in force until the 1970's and the US dollar was redeemable for gold.

markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:44:13 PM

I think the OP is correct (but the numbers exaggerated)

What he is trying to describe is a comex type situation where real gold is leveraged and sold currently at 542:1

i.e for every real 1 oz of gold it is sold as paper promises to 542 people.

I open a Bitcomex,

I hold 100 bitcoin - people buy in to that holding as an investment and I sell them leveraged at 100:1 (equivalent to 10,000 bitcoin)

Most people only ever settle their investment in cash and never request the real bitcoin so I can continue the leverage game.
daniobg

Activity: 232
Merit: 105

Solarcoin.org

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2016, 06:44:20 PM

And Bitcoin is not fiat, so the fact that fiat is leveraged has nothing to do with this conversation at all.

You seem to have strayed significantly from the topic of this thread.

Regardless, following your logic of "everything is leveraged out" resulting in "we all will own more than 21 Million Bitcoins each" within 10 years, then shouldn't "the most leveraged of all assets" result in us ALL owning more than 21 million U.S. dollars each?  Clearly you are just saying things that entertain you and failing to back any of it up with even an attempt at facts or logic.

Well I think he may be kind of right - if you consider that the actual "paper money" that is printed is only like 10% of all the money that is in people's bank accounts, the same scenario may appear with the bitcoin. So even if the number of bitcoins can't go over 21 million, the wealth of some people may be showed in Bitcoins, even tho they don't have them sitting in their wallets. But there is a flaw, because in the fiat world it's easy to print money - here it's not possible. I think that some kind of method will be implemented - like the use of another altcoins to support the system. So the OP is not so full of crap this time Cheesy

SolarCoin – A Global Rewards Program For Solar Electricity Generation       ElectriCChain – The Solar Energy Blockchain Project Site For Climate Change
Solcrypto – A Future Powered By Solar Energy                  

Feel free to tip me!  BTC: 1EGsKEd9gxGVnNKg6hkXREHqGVbirqAUYr   SLR: 8GnTPXj9fAH5xe1247c4MaQxMiQEP5MD7d
Bitcoinpro (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:52:31 PM

I had quite a few coins on gox which i withdrew

u can understand why it crashed, withdrawals

where building because of the price run up

and he didnt have that many. Not everyone

wanted Fiat, funny too i withdrew to Cryptsy

before i moved them on again.

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:56:55 PM

Unlike gold, stocks and whatever other instruments there are being exploited right now, you can move, store and take control of your coins anywhere there's a connection and some modest hardware.

You'll instantly know it's the real deal and it's a piece of piss to secure and just as easy to sell should the need arise. That's kind of the entire point of the whole thing.

Nothing else offers that so I don't think the current examples are applicable. Why would I put up with a fictional certificate when there's zero need for it?
Cryptonitex

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:58:26 PM

I thought there was only 21 million BitCoins in circulation. You can't create a BitCoin.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 07:04:56 PM

this time he is not talking about the real bitcoins on private keys.. but all of the "account" balances on exchanges represented in mySql databases.

EG many people still think they can get back the 800,000btc that were on mtgox, then the few hundred thousand here and few thousand there from other exchanges.
then adding all the coins currently on coinbase, btcc, bitfinex and you will see that the total "presumption" of coins held on "accounts" is actually far more then the real amount of coins attached to private keys.

another thing is not only are their coins on exchange accounts databases that dont tally to private keys.. but the number of orders on the buy and sell order lists of every exchange does not always tally against funds held in accounts. the exchanges themselves add on a few orders (some call it ghosting) where it fills in the gaps and helps to try keeping the price within a certain range.

in short. if you added up all the orders on exchanges, and then done a balance check of exchange customers. and then tallied that against funds held on private keys.. the numbers wont match..

so althought you cannot fractional reserve a private key, you can fractional reserve the mysql database of an exchange.. both mtgox and cryptsy got in trouble for that. letting people play with funds with no real bitcoin private key backing the funds on the "accounts"

Well that's makes sense.
But can't we just demand from the exchanges how much coins they really hold, for instance in their cold storage?
MingLee

Activity: 490
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 07:11:50 PM

Well that's makes sense.
But can't we just demand from the exchanges how much coins they really hold, for instance in their cold storage?
You could, technically speaking, but to my knowledge there is nothing that prevents companies from lying to you in the report or giving you falsified data alongside whatever else they want you to know.

But what OP says is somewhat true, there will be technically more than 21 million Bitcoins on paper, but hopefully speaking people rely less on online wallets and more on keeping their Bitcoin in their own wallets.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 07:13:32 PM

You could, technically speaking, but to my knowledge there is nothing that prevents companies from lying to you in the report or giving you falsified data alongside whatever else they want you to know.

Then they'll keep on failing and imploding until there are companies which can deliver the goods. That shoddiness can only limp on for so long.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 07:17:40 PM

The commodities u r talking about does not have a public ledger. It is true that some exchanges are involved into fractional reserve trading. But, if volume goes up on their exchange and their calculation does not work as expected, they'll soon turn into a Gox or Cryptsy. People will lose coins, but as bailout is not possible in bitcoin, virtual supply wont dramatically increase.

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 07:18:45 PM

Unlike gold, stocks and whatever other instruments there are being exploited right now, you can move, store and take control of your coins anywhere there's a connection and some modest hardware.

You'll instantly know it's the real deal and it's a piece of piss to secure and just as easy to sell should the need arise. That's kind of the entire point of the whole thing.

Nothing else offers that so I don't think the current examples are applicable. Why would I put up with a fictional certificate when there's zero need for it?

We are like 100 000 000 000 000 000 000x more technical literate than most people.  People will store it on an exchange because they are stupid and ignore peoples warnings.

OP has a point, perhaps worded a bit oddly but there is a chance Bitcoin becomes leveraged out like gold, the odds are a lot lower as it is a lot easier to send and hold bitcoin.

It is something we should pay attention to, this is the easiest way to keep the price suppressed much like gold.

I have a feeling though we will see an awakening to that gold situation.
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 07:19:33 PM

The commodities u r talking about does not have a public ledger. It is true that some exchanges are involved into fractional reserve trading. But, if volume goes up on their exchange and their calculation does not work as expected, they'll soon turn into a Gox or Cryptsy. People will lose coins, but as bailout is not possible in bitcoin, virtual supply wont dramatically increase.

You guys need to understand the average person is amazingly stupid when it comes to money and monetary items.  Like levels of stupid you did not think were possible.
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 07:22:10 PM

Then they'll keep on failing and imploding until there are companies which can deliver the goods. That shoddiness can only limp on for so long.

The gov might make it Illegal to withdraw your coins :S.. it has been done MANY times in the past with fiat.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: