Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:15:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think SatoshiDice is blockchain spam? Drop their TX's - Solution inside  (Read 12858 times)
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:32:10 PM

Just because SDice makes money by spamming the network with pointless transactions dose not mean its not an attack on the network.

If the CIA found a way to attack the Bitcoin network and make money doing it It's still an attack!

We can filter the millions of pointless transactions or Do nothing and let the system deal with it as it was designed to. Its not a bad thing that the hard/soft  limit has been reached. We just let the free market push SDice out of profitability with higher fees. But for this to happen we "the mining community" must stop the mining pools from rising the block header size. (this lowers fees and weakens the network opening it up to more spam.) 

It is the responsibility of the mining community to shame the large mining pools for their abhorrent actions over the past week. It is not their right to pull numbers out of there ass and set transaction fees for the whole network. It is the responsibility of every one who has a voice on this forum to voice there discontent towards any company intentionally or unintentionally harming the network. 

Have you read the news lately? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=152030.0

Actually block size can't be raised at all due to software limitations, BDB libraries to be more precise.

Yes I have read the news and the Fork was caused by the mining pools bending over backwards to serve the needs of one company SDice. The hubris of these individuals is amazing but it is possible to raise the block header size its only a matter of time before they try again. When more people are on 0.8 client they will surely go back and try again. We must not let this happen! 

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 09:56:31 PM

Patch has been applied and "Advanced" tab created in GUI on bitcoin-qt 0.8, 3 commits to be more precise, and gives the ability to anyone select whatever transactions the want to relay. Please note your wallet will still accept those transactions in blocks mined by the network.

Check it out http://www.rugatu.com/questions/9887/how-much-do-you-know-programming-c

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 10:30:37 PM

Patch has been applied and "Advanced" tab created in GUI on bitcoin-qt 0.8, 3 commits to be more precise, and gives the ability to anyone select whatever transactions the want to relay. Please note your wallet will still accept those transactions in blocks mined by the network.

Check it out http://www.rugatu.com/questions/9887/how-much-do-you-know-programming-c
Won't this open the door to just setting your client to "relay nothing"? So what happens if a large enough group basically sets the client to run in "leech" mode?

"When everyone is looking for gold, it's a good time to be in the pick and shovel business." -Mark Twain

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 10:35:57 PM

Won't this open the door to just setting your client to "relay nothing"? So what happens if a large enough group basically sets the client to run in "leech" mode?

"When everyone is looking for gold, it's a good time to be in the pick and shovel business." -Mark Twain

Have your read this whole thread... ?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 11:01:36 PM

Yes I have. Have you?  Grin

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 11:16:34 PM

Yes I have. Have you?  Grin

Yes sir, what have I missed?

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 12:37:28 AM

Submitted as pull request, please vote.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=154682.0

Raoul Duke (OP)
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:25:05 AM

I fully support this patch, but where can I download modified Bitcoin-Qt? Just don't tell me I need to compile it myself.  Tongue

You will have to compile it yourself, ofcourse.
I don't want to force anyone to have such an option on their GUI, as it may get them offended for having the choice.
You know it's always a mess when people need to use their brains and choose. They're used to have others who decide what's best for them.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 01:12:10 AM

I fully support this patch, but where can I download modified Bitcoin-Qt? Just don't tell me I need to compile it myself.  Tongue

I don't want to force anyone to have such an option on their GUI, as it may get them offended for having the choice.
You know it's always a mess when people need to use their brains and choose. They're used to have others who decide what's best for them.

Lol psy, accurate as always.

I compiled my wallet a few days ago with the "Advanced" tab in the options.

SD addresses, hope I didn't miss any of them:

Code:
1dice1Qf4Br5EYjj9rnHWqgMVYnQWehYG
1dice1e6pdhLzzWQq7yMidf6j8eAg7pkY
1dice2WmRTLf1dEk4HH3Xs8LDuXzaHEQU
1dice2pxmRZrtqBVzixvWnxsMa7wN2GCK
1dice2vQoUkQwDMbfDACM1xz6svEXdhYb
1dice2xkjAAiphomEJA5NoowpuJ18HT1s
1dice2zdoxQHpGRNaAWiqbK82FQhr4fb5
1dice37EemX64oHssTreXEFT3DXtZxVXK
1dice3jkpTvevsohA4Np1yP4uKzG1SRLv
1dice4J1mFEvVuFqD14HzdViHFGi9h4Pp
1dice5wwEZT2u6ESAdUGG6MHgCpbQqZiy
1dice61SNWEKWdA8LN6G44ewsiQfuCvge
1dice6DPtUMBpWgv8i4pG8HMjXv9qDJWN
1dice6GV5Rz2iaifPvX7RMjfhaNPC8SXH
1dice6YgEVBf88erBFra9BHf6ZMoyvG88
1dice6gJgPDYz8PLQyJb8cgPBnmWqCSuF
1dice6wBxymYi3t94heUAG6MpG5eceLG1
1dice7EYzJag7SxkdKXLr8Jn14WUb3Cf1
1dice7W2AicHosf5EL3GFDUVga7TgtPFn
1dice7fUkz5h4z2wPc1wLMPWgB5mDwKDx
1dice8EMZmqKvrGE4Qc9bUFf9PX3xaYDp
1dice97ECuByXAvqXpaYzSaQuPVvrtmz6
1dice9wVtrKZTBbAZqz1XiTmboYyvpD3t
1dice9wcMu5hLF4g81u8nioL5mmSHTApw
1diceDCd27Cc22HV3qPNZKwGnZ8QwhLTc
1dicec9k7KpmQaA8Uc8aCCxfWnwEWzpXE
1dicegEArYHgbwQZhvr5G9Ah2s7SFuW1y

This is free market guys. They're bloating UTXO set at an increased pace and forcing everyone to keep up, so I'm ignoring their transactions exactly the same way we handle trolls on bitcointalk, pressing the "Ignore" button. If enough people do it they will be forced to reconsider, and work with the community not against it.

K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 08:15:43 AM

signed for usual humans Tongue

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
MarlboroMan

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:59:15 PM

SD is spam for Blockchain, not only that its spam for the whole Bitcoin network. Im not sure the percentage of transactions that are SD related but im sure its over 60%
Raoul Duke (OP)
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 11:12:08 PM

I fully support this patch, but where can I download modified Bitcoin-Qt? Just don't tell me I need to compile it myself.  Tongue

For ones who don't know and don't want to know about compiling, there is no choice here whatsoever, just empty speech.

Win32 install, .zip archive or patch didn't happened.

Don't use windows. Can't compile it myself.
SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 03:31:01 AM

I am not sure why no one has mentioned it here.  But starting today, Satoshi dice already changed its method of sending out 1 satoshi for confirming losing bet.  Instead, they are now sending out 0.5% of bet amount back for losing bets, regardless of bet size.  Given that minimum bet is 0.01 BTC, now all Satoshi Dice losing bet tx starts at 5000 satoshi and up.  I presume that SD changed its policy due to the introduction of this patch here.

They copied us Cheesy how flattering: http://satoshiroulette.com/reverse-dice.php?mode=BTC It does make sense to avoid dust if you can. Copying the copiers, very meta Cheesy .
Now if they could fully come to the party with a 2nd game that optionally sends losing payouts ie: http://satoshiroulette.com/jackpot-dice.php?mode=BTC and encourage bots to use an API we might just see a drastic reduction in tx spam and at the same time reduced cost of betting for the gamblers Smiley

HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:36:03 AM

SD is not a problem itself, but I think for the good of the community, SD better to find some better way to notify the gambler that they have lost the bet. For example, send every 500 notice or payout in a single transaction.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 03:43:32 AM

SD is not a problem itself, but I think for the good of the community, SD better to find some better way to notify the gambler that they have lost the bet. For example, send every 500 notice or payout in a single transaction.

Due to their method of reusing the bet inputs in the payouts to avoid double spends they cannot do this.
If they did a multi payout and one of the inputs was doublespent all payments in the multi payout would be invalidated.

phathash

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 07:55:08 AM

We need to keep an open mind people. She has a sustainability plan.

Stock Photo - Open minded woman with green energy symbol
http://www.canstockphoto.com/open-minded-woman-with-green-energy-6743883.html

Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:48:20 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2013, 09:02:35 PM by Luckybit

Why would it cost 0.0000047? Who says the cost has to be that high? Do you have any real numbers showing how much it actually costs to do a transaction?
And why not have 10 million people doing that? Don't you want bitcoin to grow? The idea that we should limit its growth seems absurd to me.

You always want to limit the growth of an uneconomic activity. Even a loss leading item has to be economic when considered part of total inventory.

1 satoshi is ridiculously small. It is 0.5 millionths of a US$. If you had a music service where 10 million people bought single-tracks for 1 satoshi a time then you would earn $5 per day.

This is 10 million transactions processed for $5 (ignoring costs and scope for profit).

In four years Bitcoin has just processed 14 million transactions:
https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions-total

Could it have done that for $7 ?? Consider all the disk space across thousands of nodes, the hashing power used, electricity, IT work, bandwidth!
Then your music "service" wants Bitcoin to process 10 million more transactions, every single day, for $5, customers are always good to have, right?

Draw your own conclusions about what micro-transactions are realistic.

What it costs in USD isn't what it costs everywhere in the world. It also isn't factoring in Moore's law and cheaper energy costs going into the future.

You're thinking in $ when talking about what Bitcoin should become in the future and that might be the flaw. It's really a problem of physics and energy costs. Also you're putting the profits of miners above the function of the currency. If Bitcoin has to cater to miners this much then Proof of Stake is going to be the ultimate answer.
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:18:59 AM

But I believe no one should have the power to control how one utilizes his or her resources.

Wait, what?  A person should not have the power to control their own resources?  Who should?  If I want to run a copy of the bitcoin client that doesn't relay 1dice transactions, I should be able to.  Perhaps I'll run a copy of the client that doesn't relay your transactions.  But as long as a majority of clients do relay these transactions (or the big pools clients don't bother to include them in blocks), this doesn't really do much good other than to make the transactions slightly slower AFAIK.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:44:20 AM

What it costs in USD isn't what it costs everywhere in the world. It also isn't factoring in Moore's law and cheaper energy costs going into the future.

You're thinking in $ when talking about what Bitcoin should become in the future and that might be the flaw. It's really a problem of physics and energy costs. Also you're putting the profits of miners above the function of the currency. If Bitcoin has to cater to miners this much then Proof of Stake is going to be the ultimate answer.

Indeed. In the future, a few decades out, there might be lots of capacity for transactions which are sub-cent in real terms. However, this is certainly not the case today.
Miners are everything to Bitcoin. They have to make a profit from the block reward plus fees to secure the blockchain and everyone's holdings. Yes, there is the alternative of ppcoin, and anyone who thinks this is the ultimate coin should check it out. For me, I am just happy that Bitcoin has a great future as it is currently designed, allowing for some software optimizations.

allbiznessman

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

SudoSuRootDev... AKA... AllBiznessMan

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 06:41:09 PM

I understand the issue at hand, but I believe this is the wrong solution. I have seen it from the side of being a Satoshi Dice user lately. I have had many transactions not accepted, and sent back, because I have been using the Blockchain.info Satoshi Dice send link, and even though I have my Blockchain.info wallet settings set on generous, they are still being rejected or taking forever. The problem is that the fees are too low for the size of the transactions being sent. I decided today, because I have one which isn't confirming, that I will start using the regular send link in the online wallet or sendtoaddress from bitcoind, and then set the fee higher rather than use the blockchain.info Satoshi Dice send link.

This is something that Blockchain.info needs to be informed of because I am sure they are the largest cause of this issue with that Auto Satoshi Dice send link because, as I have said about 80% of my bets have been getting rejected lately and that is with my settings on Generous Fee.
I also think that there should be a set BTC fee/kb sent minimum if there is not, where you  cannot even try to send a transaction with less than that amount of BTC fee for the size of transaction that you are sending. Obviously you can send more if you want to reward the miners, but there needs to be a minimum fee/kb especially with the BlockChain.info wallets. They have one set but it needs to be raised because it is BS when 80% of my transactions are being rejected when I have my fee setting at the highest.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  

Jump to: