Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:35:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PSUs and Transistor Switches  (Read 542 times)
Ooiyyy (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 03:19:11 PM

I currently have a Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze Certified running my s5. It has no problems and the miner itself works perfectly fine. I am using the paperclip trick to keep the PSU on and use the switch in the back to turn it off/on.
I now want to control when it is off and on with an Arduino. The best way I can think of doing this is connecting a transistor switch to the pins of the PSU and the Arduino.

My question is what type of transistor should I get? I did a bit of research and found that transistors are made to handle only specific loads so obviously I cannot get something too weak.
I guess the real question is how many amps/volts are passed between PS_on and ground (the wires that the paperclip are in) on the 24 pin? If I can figure this out I can reasonably find a transistor that will work.

If there is a significantly easier way to do this and I am just a moron, please let me know. I am trying not to buy another PSU to do this and I already have the Arduino if that helps.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 03:24:20 PM

The current draw should be on the order of milliamps, and no more than 5VDC. Pretty much any general purpose BJT or FET should work. That's exactly how the external turnon circuit on my server PSU interface boards works.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Ooiyyy (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 06:37:56 PM

The current draw should be on the order of milliamps, and no more than 5VDC. Pretty much any general purpose BJT or FET should work. That's exactly how the external turnon circuit on my server PSU interface boards works.

So something like this would be ok?
IRF520 MOSFET Driver Module for Arduino
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-pc-IRF520-MOS-FET-Driver-Module-for-Arduino-High-Quality-LA-/262253821338?hash=item3d0f8bbd9a:g:bfgAAOSwpRRWohtY

Also
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 06:39:22 PM

It's definitely overkill for what you're doing, but yes it should work. The thing to look for is logic-level drive, which that does.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Ooiyyy (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 06:47:16 PM

It's definitely overkill for what you're doing, but yes it should work. The thing to look for is logic-level drive, which that does.

Ok, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: