Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:55:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The DAO FAIL  (Read 20436 times)
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 02:59:43 PM

fails like this need to happen. mainly to teach lessons that would be ignored otherwise since they are too insignificant to be noticed.

although this lesson will be ignored too most likely.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fravia

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 03:43:44 PM

that was one of the greatest fails i have ever seen to be honest, i hope we will not have any more situations like with this dao thing, i never invest in those
well yeah but it didnt destroy the ethereum, in my opinion ethereum will still have a pretty decent possibility to grow at a very rapid pace

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4894

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 04:16:19 PM

DAO is fail but should have been allowed to fail. Hardfork is most embarrassing event ever in crypto history. Absolutely shameful.
Are you for fuckin real? The most shame events are the constant hacks and attacks. This is the type of shit that's hodling back many many investors from entering the crypto-sphere. Get a grip. FFS

That is right. If the authorities in the land cannot cope with that, then the cryto currency developers should deal with that.

They should deal with it during development.  They should develop hacking and attacking resistent systems.  Because that's what crypto is about.  Undoing an attack by hand, just like in fiat, defeats the whole "automatic" purpose of crypto.  If that is what needs to be done, stay in fiat.

As long as idiots buy into premine ico scams this will never happen (with minor exceptions that get lost in the noise and are seriously underfunded). The greedy sheep support this shit and don't listen to warnings or learn which becomes a cycle of ever growing proportions that put them into a position where they have to jump on the next shitcoin train to recoup from the last and pull in new fools to buy that bag of shit. The entire Alt scene is one big pyramid with a few notable exceptions. The bag holders of one shitfest get to the next level of the next shitfest (if they don't cut their losses) and slowly work up the chain to break even if they stay long enough and then become part of the spoon feeding shit shoveling themselves and see profit. It's a training ground for bottom feeding fools no different than jail creating better criminals.

DAO is fail but should have been allowed to fail. Hardfork is most embarrassing event ever in crypto history. Absolutely shameful.
Are you for fuckin real? The most shame events are the constant hacks and attacks. This is the type of shit that's hodling back many many investors from entering the crypto-sphere. Get a grip. FFS

On the contrary.  Crypto was invented to survive in a hostile hacker and attacker environment.  Remember "trustless" ?  That's what it means.  If crypto suffers from hacking and attacking, instead of living off it, then it is a fail.

You might as well say that "enemy fire is what keeps people from getting into the army".  The whole purpose of an army is to resist to enemy fire.  Complaining about it for an army defeats the purpose.

Your posts are spot on but you are trying to point out logic to a shill that ignores logic when it doesn't support his shitcoin bag.

This is his handbook.

https://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/fallacies_list.html

fails like this need to happen. mainly to teach lessons that would be ignored otherwise since they are too insignificant to be noticed.

They will never learn anything if they are allowed to bail themselves out, it's no different than the bankers we all detest and the reason CC exists. Fucking Hypocrites.

Those of us that try to warn the n00bs get tired of wasting our energy and experience on ungrateful turds. I've been warning of scams for years and haven't received one thank you. I dropped in every Bob surplus scam and warned people and I don't think one fool listened but they all cried when fleeced and Bob had a real good laugh. It gets to the point where you feel they deserve to get fleeced.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
dinofelis

Merit: 629

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 04:37:03 PM

that was one of the greatest fails i have ever seen to be honest, i hope we will not have any more situations like with this dao thing, i never invest in those
well yeah but it didnt destroy the ethereum, in my opinion ethereum will still have a pretty decent possibility to grow at a very rapid pace

I do like altcoins in general if they come up with new ideas and new systems, because bitcoin, being the first, is also one of the poorest in ideas, but bitcoin is now too big and too conservative to try new things quickly.  So altcoins to explore and research are a good idea ; altcoins to scam and pump/dump not.  Sometimes it is hard to make the difference, but nevertheless, several altcoins have come up with really potentially good ideas.  That said, potentially good ideas sometimes turn out to be, after all, extremely stupid.  That's the nature of new ideas: they seem good in the beginning, but only a few turn out to be actually really good.

Ethereum is one of these altcoins, which proposed complex smart contracts.  I was initially quite enthusiastic about it ; I needed myself to witness the DAO fail to understand the fundamental failure: Turing Completeness.  Turing completeness is of course a great property of general purpose computing: you can write a piece of software for just any problem.   So it seemed like a good idea to use a Turing Complete language to write smart contracts in, much "richer" than the bitcoin scripting language which was, on purpose, not Turing complete.  As I said, it took the DAO failure for me to realize the stupidity of this initially seemingly brilliant idea.

Contracts are not just pieces of software.  They are supposed to be judges.  No law system is ever Turing Complete, because every law system needs to guarantee that it will come to a decision.

Once you realize that, but I had been blinded by ethereum's enthusiasm too, you realize the utter stupidity of ethereum.

This cannot be anything else but disaster area.  Writing contracts of which their execution is unverifiable, other than to run them, is a mightily crazy idea if you think about it.   It sounded brilliant, it was in fact tremendously stupid.  But it was so sexy that it took a thing like the DAO fail to demonstrate it.

So, what's there left for ethereum ?   I don't see much, actually.  One should limit one-self to such a small subset of Solidity that it can be automatically verified, and that all branchings of its execution can be examined, not by running it, but by analysing the code, that in fact, it will be reduced to not much more than the bitcoin scripting language.

In other words, if a contract on ethereum is "safe", it can also be run on bitcoin, and if you use fancy stuff from ethereum that is hard or impossible to do in bitcoin, you are open to DAO-like disasters.  No matter how much auditing.  You will NEVER BE SURE AGAIN.
umairsaleem011

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 05:14:09 PM

This is a good opportunity for other devs to create their own DAO. Maybe Lisk devs should start creating one. This is a massive opportunity to get a better one out in the market. 
The LISK goons can't even run a website or create a functioning wallet. But yeah why don't these clowns copy others great ideas.

Well he did say other Devs. A decentralized autonomous organization is still a good concept in theory, it was just hacked.  Undecided
RastoMan

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 07:18:27 AM

The DAO is a good concept. It is still in the early stage of developments. So there will be some growth pains.
Ultrabat

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 01:00:54 PM

The DAO is a good concept. It is still in the early stage of developments. So there will be some growth pains.

I think so. The Ethereum is just one year old. It will make more mistakes in the future, we have to be tolerant.

Master_dandosha

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

IF YOU Enjoy Trade with ME ..PUT Feedback Please

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 01:10:25 PM

I think so. The Ethereum is just one year old. It will make more mistakes in the future, we have to be tolerant.
i think eth need one more year to recover from what DAO caused . 

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Fanpant

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 05:44:00 PM

It is difficult to say how long does it take for the Ethereum to recover from the DAO hack. In terms of price, it will take 6 months.
lotfiuser

Activity: 1249
Merit: 295

Palestine

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2016, 06:02:49 PM

i dont undersatand it dao etc ...

Free palestine
Ultrabat

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 03:55:24 PM

It is difficult to say how long does it take for the Ethereum to recover from the DAO hack. In terms of price, it will take 6 months.

I think the Ethereum price has already recovered from the DAO hack. The price is quite stable at around 0.0195 now.

dinofelis

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 04:04:31 PM

I was somewhat blinded too, but I think now that, looking back, the DAO was a very, very stupid idea.  After all, what was it ?  It was "making a pot of money" for "VC investment", and then having the contributors vote on where to put the money.  But that is ridiculous.  If you can vote proportionally to your contribution to where the money should go, *then put your money directly there* !  Simple crowdfunding of all the proposals would have been good enough.  No DAO needed.  You like it ?  Put your money in it.  You don't like it ?  Don't put your money in there.  How can it get simpler ?  What does the DAO bring in that simple crowdfunding doesn't ?  Apart from bringing in middle men, profiteers, "developers" and other parasites which crypto was designed to get rid off ?
The DAO was nothing else but a confusing way to do crowdfunding, with the possibility of using other people's money to a certain extend and with funny mechanisms to make "no voting" expensive.  There was not the slightest bit of economic rationale behind the DAO.  The same people who put money in the pot, vote for where the money should go.   Usually people vote DIRECTLY with their money, OR they trust an institutional investor to do it in their name.  But putting it in a pot to vote oneself for it, is totally ridiculous.

The other thing is of course the Turing completeness, which is an utterly bad idea (but which sounded good in the beginning).

So there was *NOTHING* that was a good concept in the DAO.  It was an economically ridiculous idea on a ridiculous platform.  It didn't solve any slightest bit of problem.  
RastoMan

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 03:25:53 PM

I think the Ethereum price has already recovered from the DAO hack. The price is quite stable at around 0.0195 now.

I do not think so. The price of ETH should be around $15 if it is fully recovered from the DAO hack. The price is just below $12 now.
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2016, 03:40:50 PM

I do not think so. The price of ETH should be around $15 if it is fully recovered from the DAO hack. The price is just below $12 now.

You're both wrong.

The price of Ethereum was over 2.76m satoshi (i.e. $21 at the time) and its currently well under 2m satoshi. I think that Bitcoin also suffered from the DAO attack, because it lost more than half a billion $ from its market cap in a matter of hours.

airsounds

Activity: 237

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 06:32:52 PM

That is right. If the authorities in the land cannot cope with that, then the cryto currency developers should deal with that.
i doubt that anyone can deal with it to be honest we cannot do anything about the dao and i hope there wont be any of such cases in the future

bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1442

View Profile
August 17, 2016, 04:13:11 AM

So there was *NOTHING* that was a good concept in the DAO.  It was an economically ridiculous idea on a ridiculous platform.  It didn't solve any slightest bit of problem.  

It was a sham from the very beginning. Many known people in the cryptosphere like GMaxwell, Peter Todd and Adam Back have already said that Ethereum will never become a viable platform for smart contracts. I do not think Vitalik is trying to scam the people but he should know deep inside that Ethereum as a platform will not work as promised. He is selling what is called "snake oil".

I hope developers who know will add to the conversation and explain in layman terms why Ethereum is not viable.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
q835197677

Activity: 189
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 17, 2016, 04:43:56 AM

Personally, I think DAO is a joke, from a certain point of view, it personally split the ETH, the emergence of ETH and ETC

anthonydar

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

★CryptoGamesFX.com★

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2016, 08:30:40 AM

Personally, I think DAO is a joke, from a certain point of view, it personally split the ETH, the emergence of ETH and ETC

That was not intended as a joke. It was a good experiment. But it failed due to a bug in the software implementation.

dinofelis

View Profile
August 17, 2016, 09:50:25 AM

That was not intended as a joke. It was a good experiment. But it failed due to a bug in the software implementation.

As if it can be expected that complex code will not contain a bug or an exploit.  That was the first failure but it is a *fundamental* failure: one cannot write complex software from scratch, without having it used, and the guarantee that no bug or exploit will exist.
Normal software gets around this, by updates, when bugs or exploits are detected.  But, by definition, smart contracts cannot be updated because they are a contract which has, of course, to remain in place as it was originally convened (unless you make the update part of the contract, which opens even more the Pandora's box of potential bugs and exploits).

The principle of complex, Turing complete, bug free and exploit free smart contracts from the start, unstoppable and unalterable, is an oxymoron.

Moreover, the *economic function* of the DAO was ridiculous, as I posted earlier.  There's nothing the DAO could economically accomplish which simple crowd funding cannot accomplish.   It just got vastly more complicated, where some privileged got more to say about other people's money.

I really wonder what was the sense of this experiment, of which the disastrous outcome was evidently predictable.  Did one really need to mess with $150 million to find out the obvious ?
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2016, 10:45:14 AM

As if it can be expected that complex code will not contain a bug or an exploit.  That was the first failure but it is a *fundamental* failure: one cannot write complex software from scratch, without having it used, and the guarantee that no bug or exploit will exist.
Normal software gets around this, by updates, when bugs or exploits are detected.  But, by definition, smart contracts cannot be updated because they are a contract which has, of course, to remain in place as it was originally convened (unless you make the update part of the contract, which opens even more the Pandora's box of potential bugs and exploits).

The principle of complex, Turing complete, bug free and exploit free smart contracts from the start, unstoppable and unalterable, is an oxymoron.

Moreover, the *economic function* of the DAO was ridiculous, as I posted earlier.  There's nothing the DAO could economically accomplish which simple crowd funding cannot accomplish.   It just got vastly more complicated, where some privileged got more to say about other people's money.

I really wonder what was the sense of this experiment, of which the disastrous outcome was evidently predictable.  Did one really need to mess with $150 million to find out the obvious ?

Keep in mind that not only the DAO got hurt, but the entire market. Before the attack, market cap of the cryptocurrencies was about $14.2Bn and it was shrinked to ~$12.5Bn in a ~week. Bitcoin was at its peak since the beginning of 2014. Look what I've said 2 days before the attack:

You can't just take $200Mn from the people, without doing vast amount of researches on your product (though I admit again that I didn't make any deep researches on ETH or DAO)! This could kill all the crypto!

... and what Hueristic answered:

...This could kill all the crypto!...

LOL, not a chance in hell. When it crashes and burns it'll just get more peops interested.

I believe its safe to say that the DAO failure caused a few hundred million $ (quite possible to be even over a billion $) in losses. Its not like I'm bragging or anything, but I was expecting this to happen and it was the main reason to start this thread. Projects are coming and going all the time, but when it comes to a project with such funds, then we should all worry about on what may happen in future.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: