Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:34:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AES-256 Encryption Possibly Now Broken After New Method To Speedily Factor Integ  (Read 1798 times)
conspirosphere.tk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 11:16:32 AM

Not sure if BTC-relevant:

http://investmentwatchblog.com/encryption-security-may-not-be-secure-anymore/

the students found that intermediate keys created specifically within the AES-256 encryption algorithm had cryptographically weak output that followed a Quadratic curve when initial keys contained identifiable Fibonacci sequences, non-evenly divisible values including PI, Catalan numbers and Mersenne primes which allowed the students to estimate possible integer factors allowing them to recover the initial encryption key within as little as 100 hours compute time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2016, 11:33:17 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2016, 11:46:29 AM by Lauda

The title on the link is false though:"Encryption Security May Not Be Secure Anymore". They can't possibly talk about all encryption algorithms. I'm not fully certain, but I think that (all of) the algorithms that are used in Bitcoin should not be affected by this. This development of this story will certainly be interesting.

the students found that intermediate keys created specifically -snip-
I'd like to know the meaning of the words 'intermediate keys' in this context. I would also not be surprised by this part:
According to industry experts, the discovery also raises the question of whether the ‘flaw’ was actually an inbuilt component of encryption technology, introduced on purpose by its creators or encryption standards modifiers.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 11:43:39 AM

AES isn't related to bitcoins protocol.

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
Yogafan00000

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 11:50:19 AM

Also, the article is a load of shit.  There's no press release, or names or any evidence of any mathematical breakthrough.  They took a bunch of fancy maths terms and mushed them together to make a hoax article.

1YogAFA... (oh, nevermind)
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2016, 11:54:51 AM

Correct - but AES256 is used for encrypting wallets (with Bitcoin Core).

I do agree that the article looks a bit suspicious though.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 12:16:33 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2016, 02:13:13 PM by iamnotback

More info:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1120355/pg1

From that description it appears that it may only apply to private keys containing mostly (or only?) alphanumeric characters?

And there is still a possibility it is a hoax.

I read else where that the NSA expects to break AES-256 by 2018 any way. That appears to unsubstantiated.

Wild conjecture is the other potential damning outcome is if it is shown that this was likely a planted security hole. That could have ramifications on why does Bitcoin use what may be potentially an insecure form of double-hashing in that if so then maybe that was a planted weakness.
Cuntabula

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 12:26:08 PM

I read else where that the NSA expects to break AES-256 by 2018 any way.

That's why destroying Satoshi's coins is so imperative!
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2016, 12:30:00 PM

Huh?

(as Satoshi's wallets were created before encryption was even used in Bitcoin wallets I hardly see how that would be relevant)

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
numismatist
Legendary

Activity: 1245
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 12:31:00 PM

Also, the article is a load of shit.  There's no press release, or names or any evidence of any mathematical breakthrough.  They took a bunch of fancy maths terms and mushed them together to make a hoax article.

Wallet files encryption algos could be changed in between days.
This article doesn't got me alarmed neither.

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 12:35:34 PM

Exchanges r getting desperate

obtaining 1 Bitcoin should be much harder

than 570 USD thats a damn easy investment

figure to put you in the bracket of the 15 million richest

people in the world.

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 12:51:39 PM

Obviously fake article. Besides the obvious bullshit (what has factoring integers got to do with AES? or Fibonacci sequences to do with anything related to cryptography?) and the fact that it's only being published on tinfoil-hat conspiracy sites, the article specifically cites a press release from the University of Toronto as its source, which is trivially easy to verify. The University of Toronto has issued no such press release. And if the press release is a fabrication, so is the whole story, since there's literally nothing else backing it.

It's embarrassing that people actually fall for these hoaxes.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 12:57:47 PM

Bitcoin Core uses AES256 to encrypt the wallet, so it's very relevant. Also, a lot of people use 7zip to encrypt their wallet.dat files inside .7z files, and 7zip uses AES256 algorithm for encryption.. if this is true, then I want to know what would be the ideal way to encrypt the wallet.dat file then.
belmonty

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 01:57:57 PM

Obviously fake article. Besides the obvious bullshit (what has factoring integers got to do with AES? or Fibonacci sequences to do with anything related to cryptography?) and the fact that it's only being published on tinfoil-hat conspiracy sites, the article specifically cites a press release from the University of Toronto as its source, which is trivially easy to verify. The University of Toronto has issued no such press release. And if the press release is a fabrication, so is the whole story, since there's literally nothing else backing it.

I Google searched for a phrase from that quote and only found these few obscure blogs publishing the story. If it was for real it would be plastered all over mainstream news sites. The domain names of some of those blogs alone make it clear they are unreliable sites.

BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 02:13:49 PM

I Google searched for a phrase from that quote and only found these few obscure blogs publishing the story. If it was for real it would be plastered all over mainstream news sites. The domain names of some of those blogs alone make it clear they are unreliable sites.

This is indeed very strange... AES256 being broken would be HUGE news. Julian Assagne trusted aes256 to encrypt is famous "insurance.aes256" file, so I doubt we are anywhere near AES256 being broken.
Cuntabula

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 02:28:04 PM

Huh?

(as Satoshi's wallets were created before encryption was even used in Bitcoin wallets I hardly see how that would be relevant)

AES-256, ECDSA... Quantum computores, Amigo! Nothing is safe. Poison the wells, salt the fields!

This issue has been discussed for several years. I think that the very-rough consensus is that old coins should be destroyed before they are stolen to prevent disastrous monetary inflation. People joined Bitcoin with the understanding that coins would be permanently lost at some low rate, leading to long-term monetary deflation. Allowing lost coins to be recovered violates this assumption, and is a systemic security issue.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/4isxjr/petition_to_protect_satoshis_coins/d30we6f
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 03:44:38 PM

This isn't being reported by any reputable sources, nor has any real detail been provided and the initial press release has been removed. I call shenanigans.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 03:50:43 PM

I would like to hear what a core dev like gmaxwell that posts here has to say about this, since wallets are encrypted with AES256.
If this was real, im sure they would have made a thread already telling everyone to stay cautious and they would be about to deploy a quick update-fix with a changed algo for the wallet encryption.

Nothing of this is happening so I call bullshit.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 03:53:22 PM

I would like to hear what a core dev like gmaxwell that posts here has to say about this, since wallets are encrypted with AES256.
If this was real, im sure they would have made a thread already telling everyone to stay cautious and they would be about to deploy a quick update-fix with a changed algo for the wallet encryption.

AES-256 along with most modern crypto will probably break slowly. A weakness will be found in some part of it and software using it will transition to another algo long before it is fully cracked.
Cuntabula

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 03:58:17 PM

They'll get in touch with you as soon as they're cashed out & Blockstream buttons down its exit strategy Smiley
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 03:59:18 PM

Exchanges r getting desperate

obtaining 1 Bitcoin should be much harder

than 570 USD thats a damn easy investment

figure to put you in the bracket of the 15 million richest

people in the world.

I don't think this info is prepared by bitcoin exchange lobbyists (but hey, you can never be sure).
But seeing how allergic bitcoin crowd is to any kind of 'not positive' news I wouldn't be surprised that bitcoin price would drop a little as a result.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: