Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:51:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the new patch to filter out satoshi dice transactions be outlawed?  (Voting closed: June 16, 2013, 05:38:32 AM)
allow miners to apply the patch - 107 (39.2%)
don't allow miners to apply the patch - 49 (17.9%)
satoshidice is too big to fail - 37 (13.6%)
punch people in the face.... (see comments) - 54 (19.8%)
Buy litecoin - 26 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 222

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the bitcoin community ban the Satoshi Dice filter patch?  (Read 14647 times)
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3649
Merit: 1412

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:27:56 AM

this thread is for pumping satoshidice
Yeah, that's what I thought
"..completely neutral..", huh?   Cheesy

IMO SD is just a spam-attack to the bitcoin-network, so I'll happily support every pool that applies this patch, good luck banning it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:29:25 AM

It did give me a chuckle when I read that the first time.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:51:25 AM

...it is very likely that bots are doing much of the betting...

Now there's a problem that solves itself... Why would someone create a bot to place negative expectation bets? Unless there are progressives that get +EV sometimes. In which case, I'll be taking a break from this forum for a couple days to write a SatoshiDice bot. :-)

FWIW, I've never played SD, nor do I own any shares. But I agree with Casascius on this... The protocol allows this activity. Therefore, it's going to happen. Better to be forced to figure out how to properly handle it sooner rather than later.

I appreciate your point about this raising tx fees sooner than otherwise would've happened, and therefore negatively impacting the bitcoin adoption rate in general. But unless you think that the negative impact is of a sufficient magnitude to risk killing bitcoin completely, then it's a good thing to force the issue.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
J180

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 10:20:06 AM

Don't worry guys.

I spoke to the bitcoin police and they tell me they are keeping a close watch on the Satoshi Dice situation. They've interviewed three of the developers so far, and one of them remains in custody at my local bitcoin station.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 11:03:31 AM

Now there's a problem that solves itself... Why would someone create a bot to place negative expectation bets? Unless there are progressives that get +EV sometimes. In which case, I'll be taking a break from this forum for a couple days to write a SatoshiDice bot. :-)

They're trying to Martingale SatoshiDice. It's a common Bitcoiner problem: the inability to learn from past experience.
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 11:30:10 AM

this thread is for pumping satoshidice
Yeah, that's what I thought

IMO SD is just a spam-attack to the bitcoin-network, so I'll happily support every pool that applies this patch, good luck banning it.

I am "completely neutral" about DICEonCRACK Smiley and we are trying to prevent getting into the same spam issue as SD by grouping payouts as best as we can: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120239.msg1598128#msg1598128 and by providing a wallet proxy (for now only on IRC) that does not signal losses with dust transactions https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=147722.0

I honestly believe that a proper solution needs to be found for the transaction spam issue for bitcoin as a whole, not targeting any specific service as this is severely needed to ensure bitcoin will survive globalization. Also, each miner has the freedom to choose which transactions to include in the found blocks, period. I wouldn't join a pool that filters anything because I believe the prioritization currently in existence is good enough. I'm invested in bitcoins for many reasons, not the least of which being the lack of central authority. We can boycott but we can't ban, simple as that, only a majority vote can steer the network one way or another, not an institution or a core group of developers.

This post started as a simple shameless plug "look at me, I'm trying neat solutions here" but ended up with my personal view of the problem... I need to learn to stay on topic!
running

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:22:15 PM

it's funny how the same people talk about how bitcoin will take over the world and take over all transactions... and then they are angry at business that *uses it too much*... I mean come on. Free market and all that jazz!

SD is in my opinion not a spam. They are sending clearly distinguishable transactions, not trying to mask it or anything, and the miners can decide what to do with it.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:29:11 PM

The ban will be enforced by the war spaceships of the Bitcoin Confederation or what?

rini17

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 05:31:27 PM

Don't worry guys.

I spoke to the bitcoin police and they tell me they are keeping a close watch on the Satoshi Dice situation. They've interviewed three of the developers so far, and one of them remains in custody at my local bitcoin station.
I smell class lawsuit against s.dice. Or drones dispatchment.

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
optimator

Activity: 351

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 06:41:42 PM

Well I say let people do what they want....

But, I fear that the objections to SD cloaked in arguments about technical limitations of bitcoin are really a front for moral objections to gambling.

If SD is a problem FIX BITCOIN. SD is only the tip of the iceberg for transactions to come. Bitcoin must be ready or it will fail. Please don't set bitcoin up for failure because of moral objections to how it is used.

Cheers!

misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:50:58 PM

But, I fear that the objections to SD cloaked in arguments about technical limitations of bitcoin are really a front for moral objections to gambling.

Not really. You don't hear anyone complaining about http://satoshiroulette.com/ because they aren't creating economically unspendable outputs.
optimator

Activity: 351

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 07:04:47 PM

Not really. You don't hear anyone complaining about http://satoshiroulette.com/ because they aren't creating economically unspendable outputs.

Fair enough. But then why not fix bitcoin? And if dust transactions are truly a problem then shouldn't the free market solve the problem with a solution?

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:14:01 PM

What SD is doing and what this patch is doing and what the OP is doing is akin to the following analogy....

Bully is punching another student in the face, that student is trying to cover their face with their hands to dampen the blow, all while a third student is asking everyone to get mad at and hold the seconds students hands down because he is hurting the bullies choice to punch people in the face....  Huh

Let'em come. We'll see who gets punched and who needs to cover their face. Grin

Dogs who bark a lot rarely bit, haven't you heard? And this ones here aren't even dogs, just puppies.
blockbet.net

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Admin at blockbet.net

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 07:16:35 PM

If SD is a problem FIX BITCOIN. SD is only the tip of the iceberg for transactions to come. Bitcoin must be ready or it will fail. Please don't set bitcoin up for failure because of moral objections to how it is used.

SD is not "the tip of the iceberg". Let's imagine a bitcoin-operated coffee shop and compare it to Satoshidice. Assume you have 1000 customers at your coffee shop every day, everybody makes one purchase. 1000 transactions spread over a day is not much.

With Satoshidice, a single user can generate 1000 transactions in an hour. He might even set up a martingale bot that was running 24 hours per day. Imagine a thousand customers doing the same, and you can start to see the problem.

In short: A couple of people using Satoshidice can generate more transactions than a ton of other businesses combined.

And I'm not even talking about the dust.

Bitcoin Sports Betting online at www.blockbet.net, featuring NBA, NHL, UFC, football (soccer) and international competitions. Fast payouts directly to your wallet, great win odds, no need to register or deposit. Bet in just a few clicks now!
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:18:22 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 07:28:24 PM by Scrat Acorns

Free market goes both ways and if the miners choose not to relay spam then SD will have to adapt. This is not about shutting them down, it is about them using proper netiquette. We're all in this together using a shared resource which we would like to see boom over the following years. Good manners would go a long way towards that outcome.

I consider 1 satoshi* transactions that are basically equal to "LOL YOU LOSE" as spam.

* Recently been changed to 5000, but it's the same thing.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:19:35 PM

SD is not "the tip of the iceberg". Let's imagine a bitcoin-operated coffee shop and compare it to Satoshidice. Assume you have 1000 customers at your coffee shop every day, everybody makes one purchase. 1000 transactions spread over a day is not much.
One coffee shop is still part of the tip of the iceberg.

Bitcoin eventually needs to be able to handle multiple coffee chains, each with tens of thousands of stores, all serving 1000 customers per day.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:21:22 PM

One coffee shop is still part of the tip of the iceberg.

Bitcoin eventually needs to be able to handle multiple coffee chains, each with tens of thousands of stores, all serving 1000 customers per day.

keyword: eventually
bullioner

Activity: 166
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:28:21 PM

Don't worry guys.

Classic -- thanks for the laugh.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:55:58 PM

keyword: eventually

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/arithmetic/exponents-radicals/world-of-exponents/v/understanding-exponents
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 08:07:47 PM

The people have right to choose what software modifications they run on computers. But I strongly oppose the patch. It is not going to solve the problem of transaction volume. And I don't see a problem in first place.

We cannot code patches for every pesky service out there. I don't care is it Satoshi Dice who are filling the blockchain or Silk Road weed sales. Valid transaction is valid transaction.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: