Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:09:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spanish speaker needed to translate two lines for $2 in BTC  (Read 355 times)
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 03:54:06 PM

Hey,
I am delivering a eulogy this weekend and I wanted to do part of it in Spanish. I need someone to check my translation and see if it is ok. Below is the text in English and my attempt at Spanish. First PM to me with a translation or confirmation gets the gold. Please include a receiving address.

(Some of you know of Bob’s connections in the Spanish speaking community. His sponsorship of young people from abroad and his success in establishing Spanish masses in this very church.)

Algunos de ustedes saben de las conexiones de Bob en la comunidad de habla española. Su patrocinio de los jóvenes desde el extranjero y su éxito en el establecimiento de masas españolas en esta misma iglesia.

Thanks.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 04:43:39 PM

We have a winner. Thank you sir. Or mis?
 Apparently my Spanish is good enough.

Timestamp on PM
« Sent to: RodeoX on: Today at 04:02:20 PM »

0.00289176 BTC sent!

Karolus

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 07:02:35 PM

We have a winner. Thank you sir. Or mis?
 Apparently my Spanish is good enough.

Timestamp on PM
« Sent to: RodeoX on: Today at 04:02:20 PM »

0.00289176 BTC sent!

Really? I mean it's not half bad. But did he or she point out your errors? Anyway, sorry about your loss.
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2016, 07:19:33 PM

in this very church.)
Algunos de ustedes saben de las conexiones de Bob en la comunidad de habla española. Su patrocinio de los jóvenes desde el extranjero y su éxito en el establecimiento de masas españolas en esta misma iglesia.
I'd make some small changes. Almost perfect but it does contain some too literal translations. Also it's using 'ustedes' which is used only in Latin America but it speaks about Spain so I'd guess you prefer the Spanish-from-Spain version 'vosotros'.

Algunos de vosotros conocéis las conexiones de Bob en la comunidad de habla española; su patrocinio a los jóvenes desde el extranjero y su éxito en el establecimiento de masas españolas en esta misma iglesia.

If it's intended for Latin America then use 'ustedes conocen' instead of 'vosotros conocéis'.

RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 08:34:51 PM

Great additional info guys! All the Spanish speakers in the crowd will be from Mexico or Central America.

Thanks!

Karolus

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 09:49:43 PM

If it's intended for Latin America then use 'ustedes conocen' instead of 'vosotros conocéis'.

It would depend on the region of Spain, I think.

I also think that "masses" in this context might refer to "misas" and not "masas" (he is talking about a church), or am I wrong?

Of course it's "misas." I was wondering how long it would take someone to note that error. I'll bet my first million bitcoins that the paid translator used the word "masas."

Regarding "ustedes" v. "vosotros," in some Latin American countries "vosotros" is the normal usage. But every native speaker of Spanish understands either form. We just smirk at people who use the "wrong" form.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: