Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 10:51:05 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which GPU to purchase with $200 for Ethereum mining?  (Read 6446 times)
Raja_MBZ (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 02:59:27 PM

If I purchase R9 280 Dual x 3GB DDR5, what hash rate should I expect for mining of ethers?

Around 20.5 Mh/s decreasing a little with every epoch change.

That looks quite good to me. Does the specification of computer system affects the only-GPU mining? See, I am planning to purchase a whole system, CPU along with GPU, just for mining. Otherwise I've a good laptop to spend my life on. The last time I purchased any computer system I remember was in 2002, and in those days, I remember I bought the Pentium 4 CPU for like $600 of that time, old memories. Tongue

So I can purchase a bad configuration computer (somewhat like core2quad) and put on a good graphics card on it for GPU mining, that'd work good, right?
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 04:12:54 PM

here it seem that all you guys are stealing energy or something, but electricity cost matter more than anything else for me

Amph, how much are you actually paying for kWh?

socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 04:16:31 PM

You can try amd r9 gpu check it here.. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=r9+amd+gpu

This is i thin the cheapest or look for other amd model gpu if you choose amd its a chipest one than intel..

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 04:40:28 PM

here it seem that all you guys are stealing energy or something, but electricity cost matter more than anything else for me

around 0.26, i know it's freaking high, but it's still profitable, so i keep mining

my high electricity is the only reason why i can not build a big farm and i'm here confined with 1 rig only

i need to find a way to have cheap electricity, maybe purchasing from a private via rental of a local
antantti
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 05:06:03 PM

around 0.26, i know it's freaking high, but it's still profitable, so i keep mining

my high electricity is the only reason why i can not build a big farm and i'm here confined with 1 rig only

i need to find a way to have cheap electricity, maybe purchasing from a private via rental of a local

Ok, now I understand all those hash/ W posts. I just changed my provider and saved 0.02, still 0.1 though.
Raja_MBZ (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 09:01:25 PM

Guys, I still haven't received the answer to my last question:

Does the specification of computer system affects the only-GPU mining? See, I am planning to purchase a whole system, CPU along with GPU, just for mining. Otherwise I've a good laptop to spend my life on.

Other than that, I've decided to purchase AMD RX 480 once it comes to my country, probably after a week of two. I've checked my rate of kWh and it comes out to be $0.15 per unit. How much will I be able to save out in a day while mining Ethers with a single AMD RX 480? If it provides me a good result, I'd definitely plan to purchase like at least 4 more.
antantti
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 10:36:02 PM

Guys, I still haven't received the answer to my last question:

Does the specification of computer system affects the only-GPU mining? See, I am planning to purchase a whole system, CPU along with GPU, just for mining. Otherwise I've a good laptop to spend my life on.

Other than that, I've decided to purchase AMD RX 480 once it comes to my country, probably after a week of two. I've checked my rate of kWh and it comes out to be $0.15 per unit. How much will I be able to save out in a day while mining Ethers with a single AMD RX 480? If it provides me a good result, I'd definitely plan to purchase like at least 4 more.

All you need is pci-e slots and dualcore CPU. Quadcore CPU might help with more than 4 GPU.

Raja_MBZ (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 11:11:52 PM

All you need is pci-e slots and dualcore CPU. Quadcore CPU might help with more than 4 GPU.

That helps a lot!

But man, it's not going to be easy to find that new AMD card, it is not gonna be easily available for $200 either.

Anymore suggestions for this $200 budget? Any nVidia graphics card suggestion?
antantti
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 11:56:00 PM

That helps a lot!

But man, it's not going to be easy to find that new AMD card, it is not gonna be easily available for $200 either.

Anymore suggestions for this $200 budget? Any nVidia graphics card suggestion?

Nvidia? GTX 970.
Amd? 290/390.

I just traded one GTX 980 for two 290, really happy with that.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 07:58:19 AM

Dual core CPU is overkill unless perhaps cases where you have LOTS of cards.
Semperon 145 SINGLE-CORE CPU in my "big box" is handling 3x R9 290s just fine, with 8GB of DDR3 (1333 I think, might be 1066).
If I'd been building that one from scratch, it likely would have gottan at least a quad-core, but it CAME with the Semperon so I'm using it for now (I do have a X2 240 I might swap into there eventually since it'll work in that motherboard).

I've got one older Semperon 3000 based single-GPU systems with PCI-E 1.0 slots though that seem to get a little lower hashrate out of the R9 280X in it than the same model card gets in dual-card setups on more modern MB/CPU/RAM setups. I suspect the 1 GB of main memory on that 3000-based system might also be having some impact.

You might want to build the systems out bigger though for the long-term, figuring that eventually Ethereum will become unprofitable, there might or might not be anything else worth mining after that for years, and you can always sell them to gamers/etc if you don't skimp too hard on the CPU and RAM - they're also easier to turn to other usage if they're not handicapped with a small CPU and slow/small RAM setup. That's the logic behind my "swap the X240 into big system" - it's probably going to switch to Folding once Ethereum is no longer profitable, though I might switch it to a KILLER RC5-72 cruncher instead.

NVidia doesn't do well on Ethereum on a hash/dollar basis - only NVidia cards that can mine it at all under $200 are the GTX 960 (11-12 MH/s), GTX950 (10-11 MH/s) and 2GB versions of the 750TI (3.5ish MH/s) - they're all efficient on a hash/WATT basis but bying them to mine Ethereum is a bad choice.

Only reasons to go NVidia for Ethereum mining are:
 (1) you already HAVE the card (my GTX 950s fit this catagory)
 (2) you have existing plans to buy NVidia for some other usage it's GOOD at, and just plan to mne to help defray the cost of the new card (My 960s and 750TIs fit here)

We can't tell you how much power you might or might not save on an RX 480, since the card HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED YET and I've yet to see anyone with a review model that tried it on Ethereum. Ask about that in a couple-three weeks, we MIGHT have some hard info by then rather than just speculating.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 02:30:27 PM

Dual core CPU is overkill unless perhaps cases where you have LOTS of cards.
Semperon 145 SINGLE-CORE CPU in my "big box" is handling 3x R9 290s just fine, with 8GB of DDR3 (1333 I think, might be 1066).
If I'd been building that one from scratch, it likely would have gottan at least a quad-core, but it CAME with the Semperon so I'm using it for now (I do have a X2 240 I might swap into there eventually since it'll work in that motherboard).

I've got one older Semperon 3000 based single-GPU systems with PCI-E 1.0 slots though that seem to get a little lower hashrate out of the R9 280X in it than the same model card gets in dual-card setups on more modern MB/CPU/RAM setups. I suspect the 1 GB of main memory on that 3000-based system might also be having some impact.

You might want to build the systems out bigger though for the long-term, figuring that eventually Ethereum will become unprofitable, there might or might not be anything else worth mining after that for years, and you can always sell them to gamers/etc if you don't skimp too hard on the CPU and RAM - they're also easier to turn to other usage if they're not handicapped with a small CPU and slow/small RAM setup. That's the logic behind my "swap the X240 into big system" - it's probably going to switch to Folding once Ethereum is no longer profitable, though I might switch it to a KILLER RC5-72 cruncher instead.

NVidia doesn't do well on Ethereum on a hash/dollar basis - only NVidia cards that can mine it at all under $200 are the GTX 960 (11-12 MH/s), GTX950 (10-11 MH/s) and 2GB versions of the 750TI (3.5ish MH/s) - they're all efficient on a hash/WATT basis but bying them to mine Ethereum is a bad choice.

Only reasons to go NVidia for Ethereum mining are:
 (1) you already HAVE the card (my GTX 950s fit this catagory)
 (2) you have existing plans to buy NVidia for some other usage it's GOOD at, and just plan to mne to help defray the cost of the new card (My 960s and 750TIs fit here)

We can't tell you how much power you might or might not save on an RX 480, since the card HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED YET and I've yet to see anyone with a review model that tried it on Ethereum. Ask about that in a couple-three weeks, we MIGHT have some hard info by then rather than just speculating.

I think sometimes even dualcore (g3240) is not enough (for nvidia at least). But quadcores are much more expensive. But then again I have 6 card rigs.
I don't CPU mine but I do have several wallets running on each rig.

Not your keys, not your coins!
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 08:47:13 AM

0.26 cents/watt electric?

*ICK*

I'm amazed you try to mine at ALL at that crazy-high electric cost.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 09:06:07 AM

0.26 cents/watt electric?

*ICK*

I'm amazed you try to mine at ALL at that crazy-high electric cost.

well it's profitable, i would lose money if i shut down the miner, especially now that bitcoin is skyrocketing

but i'm not going to build a farm or anything like that just 1 rig

in fact despite that high electricity, i'm still making a net of 250 euro a month per rig(6 gpu)

since new gpu will consume less i might try to add another rig and replace the current one, the total consumption would be the same but the overall profit 3-4x higher
Raja_MBZ (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 11:16:17 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2016, 11:37:21 AM by Raja_MBZ

Guys I'm getting 2x AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 280 for $350, should I get them? I'll for sure try that R9 380 as well, but seems like it is not gonna be easily available before August.

Will I get any profit with R9 280 if I've electricity cost of $0.15/kWh? I saw that each of them cover like 180 kWh in the whole month... So $27 in total if the single graphic card works whole month 20 hours a day. I wonder how much ether I'd be able to generate in the first month, since only 2 ether would cover off my extra cost in electricity bill due to that GPU.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 06:54:15 AM

Seems a bit high for those, you should be getting R9 280x at that price IMO.

Try to talk the seller down to $275-$300 range, that's more reasonable for those cards.

I'm not sure offhand, but I'd guess those are 15-20MH/s cards so 2 of them should mine $90 or better for the next month, probably dropping slowly as diff increases.

FruitBucket

Activity: 286
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 01:16:27 PM

wait three weeks and buy the AMD rx 480 for $199 when it is releases.  It should be the best bang for the buck and lower power consumption than current generation cards.

Under the risk that drivers wont squeeze the max hashrate for the card for months.

that is right. The driver might not be right for the mining and the algorithm needs optimisation as well.

profall

Activity: 298
Merit: 100

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 01:34:12 PM

Seems a bit high for those, you should be getting R9 280x at that price IMO.

Try to talk the seller down to $275-$300 range, that's more reasonable for those cards.

I'm not sure offhand, but I'd guess those are 15-20MH/s cards so 2 of them should mine $90 or better for the next month, probably dropping slowly as diff increases.

You can get a brand new R9 390 for $280ish or so if you live in the USA. Plenty available, will do 30 MH/s with little to no tweaking and pulls 275 Watts from the wall.

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 04:58:03 PM

I think sometimes even dualcore (g3240) is not enough (for nvidia at least). But quadcores are much more expensive. But then again I have 6 card rigs.
I don't CPU mine but I do have several wallets running on each rig.

i think you are right on this, i suspect that when you have many gpu there will be the case of cpu limited, because with my 1840 i'm getting less hash than with my i7 4790k
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 06:47:28 AM

My triple-GPU Nvidia Win7 rig (2x 950 1x 960) runs a 4-core APU - AND also runs the DNet client on the APU's GPU part, AND Prime95 on all 4 CPU cores
 I DO notice that one of the CPU cores seems to run Prime a LOT slower than the others - obviously the one that's actively running the system and various software.

I don't notice ANY hashrate difference between when I'm runnnig all of it and just running the miner by itself.

The only difference I've seen on multi-core CPU vs single-core is during DAG file creation - I sometimes get 2 DAG file "threads" running at the same time, and the system doesn't seem to bog down as much.

The Big Rig (triple AMD R9-290) is quite happy with it's Semperon 145 - though when I shift it over to something else after ETH gets unprofitable I'll probably swap one of my X240 dual-cores in it's place - planning to build a new file server and that 145 would be overkill for it.

Might it be the g3240 is just too slow clocked, rather than being single-core? I don't know Intel low-end CPUs well enough to rememeber even appx specs on their G-series stuff.
 Semperon 145 is the same series as the X240 (Regor) except it's got one core disabled, I forget which clocks higher but might be the same - 2,8 Ghz comes to mind.

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 07:13:59 AM

i think the problem may occur only with more than a certain number of gpu, say 5-6

i noticed this in many algo, now on neoscrypt i'm getting 20-30 kh less on each card that is running with the g1840, the single card running with the i7 beast is sitting at 670-678 EVEN when i use the pc

but perhaps it has to do because of the number of gpu itself, the more gpu you have in one rig, the more hash you lose overall on that rig? can anyone confirm?

we are however talking about minimal losses, nothing major...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: