Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:51:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon sale for $466 million pending.  (Read 1154 times)
European Central Bank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 10:42:59 AM

I can't find a topic on this which is kinda surprising.

http://www.coindesk.com/sale-of-bitcoin-company-behind-avalon-mining-chip-awaits-government-approval/

What do people make of this? There must be some life left in bitcoin mining if this sale goes through.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 10:46:35 AM

I can't find a topic on this which is kinda surprising.

http://www.coindesk.com/sale-of-bitcoin-company-behind-avalon-mining-chip-awaits-government-approval/

What do people make of this? There must be some life left in bitcoin mining if this sale goes through.

Well in my view Avalon saw that the halving was coming. They have older chips and would need to continue development etc. They saw this other company
that would absorb them (probably some kinda stock xfer and cash) and would allow the same team and devlopment. So (imho) they PROBABLY let the works go
for 1/2 the price they probably could have gotten 1 year ago (halving) and walked. The dream lives. They are out with stock options and cash. Also they all
kept doing what they are doing win/win/win ...at least at the avalon group end.

The folks that bought them must have gotten the works at a price that this development will be important and very attractive to them after halving for products/mining/etc

The group buying it from Avalon...seems to be taking the most risk...but then again ...maybe they got the works for a song so it is more even Steven then I think now.

anyway guessing at my end here

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Yasman

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 01:11:37 PM

The company who bought the Avalon should spend the $466 to buy bitcoin, after 3 years, it is $4660 million.
Yasman

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 05:07:42 PM

The company who bought the Avalon should spend the $466 to buy bitcoin, after 3 years, it is $4660 million.
Don't be stupid, first of all half a billion in buy orders would hyperinflate the price, second of all this company obviously has a plan. They make parts for power companies, they are going to be using this to their advantage. Could you imagine a mining company that builds miners and mines below electric cost, because I am sure that is exactly what this company envisions.

$446 m is about 0.9 million bitcoins if the company buy slowly. 0.9 M is 4% of total monetary supply. If bitcoin becomes big, that 4% is also big.
Satlite

Activity: 53
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 01:35:07 PM

Don't be stupid, first of all half a billion in buy orders would hyperinflate the price, second of all this company obviously has a plan. They make parts for power companies, they are going to be using this to their advantage. Could you imagine a mining company that builds miners and mines below electric cost, because I am sure that is exactly what this company envisions.

$446 m is about 0.9 million bitcoins if the company buy slowly. 0.9 M is 4% of total monetary supply. If bitcoin becomes big, that 4% is also big.
So this company should gamble 446 million instead of using its advantages with partners that happen to be power companies that very few if no one else in the mining scene has.

If you spend $466 million now to mine, you will not get 0.9 million bitcoin in the future. I am pretty sure about that.
Cuidler

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 03:39:53 PM

If you spend $466 million now to mine, you will not get 0.9 million bitcoin in the future. I am pretty sure about that.

Very likely not possible to mine one million coins anymore because not many coins left to distribute and there is big competetion from others as well, but the plan might be similar to Bitmain: manufacture miner units, run these at places with very low electricity cost and obviously sell any not used mining equipment (probably older generation). Its much safer plan than buy one million coins and hold speculatively for possible price increase in future.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
European Central Bank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 05:31:48 PM

Its much safer plan than buy one million coins and hold speculatively for possible price increase in future.

i dunno. mining moves so fast that nothing's guaranteed to anyone. in your scenario someone might drop a few million on their new setup and find themselves making zero if a rival comes out with an unassailable advance.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: