Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:29:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Build  (Read 305 times)
navydude (OP)

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 08:58:51 PM

Ok. So after a month of mining on my three rigs I am adding more. I have considered waiting till the 480 comes out but thats 3 weeks of lost money. Well actually two by the time i get all equipment ordered and setup. I recently purchased 12 Sapphire 380x and 4 MSI 380. With a bit of tweaking and overclock I can get the MSI cards to run about the same speed as the Sapphire. I dont really want to over clock but would love to get them undervolted for less power consumption. 

I am going to purchase 6 more rigs each with 6 cards. I am wanting opinions before I order. Does anyone have suggestions? On my last rigs i purchased the Lepa 1600w Power supply. They are kinda expensive. I dont currently have a meter to check the amps being pulled but would like to know if it would be cheaper and to buy multiple power supplies to power 6 cards. Some advise on that would be very nice. I have had no issues with the Lepa at this point but I do know some people have.

I will be ordering by the middle of next week so if anyone wants to shed their thought im open to listen. Dont really need any negative things either unless its gonna help with my build. I do know Ethereum will not last forever but maybe i can get these paid for and be ready for the next coin to roll out.

Also thoughts on keeping these rigs cool. Im not sure the best way but i talked to a HVAC friend of mine and told hime how and where my current setup is. We come to the conclusion of using the outside air from under the house with a filter. Will pull the cool air in with a large 12 or 14" exhaust fan and then push into the attic. I am going to work on the plans this weekend for this. It will be som sort of enclosed simi sealed cabinet (maybe finished drywall) for great air flo. So this will do three things at once. It will draw air under my house which will keep it dry and mold free. It will also cool the cards as its sucked past them and if there is any cool air left (which im sure is still way cooler than my attic in the middle of the day) will be pushed into the attic to keep a nice air flow for better cooling of my home. If anyone can see a problem with this please let me know because this is my current plan. It may take too fans and two cabinets to cool 9 rigs but seems like it would work.

Looking for any suggestions.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 07:20:25 AM

for only two weeks i would wait at this point, unless by selling your card that you want to buy now, you can then purchase the 480 at zero cost

in other words, the price at which you buy those card today should be equal to the 480, when sold, later...

and i doubt this is the case, you may lose $50 on each at least(when resold), which is far more than what one 380 can do in two weeks...
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 08:34:03 AM

You're not going to get enough airflow with a little 14" exaust fan.
I'm having enough issues getting adaquate airflow with 5 x 20" box fans on slightly LESS mining heat generation than you're planning to add - inside temps today exceeded 105 degrees (93 or 94 outside) despite the airflow.

You're probably looking at more than 3 weeks of wait time on the RX 480, unless you get VERY lucky or it's availability is a ton better than the GTX1080 has had to date.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 08:56:40 AM

i'm doing fine with 2-3 noctua industrial 3000 rpm and 156 cfm(using them at 40% only so 1200rpm etc...), TAMB is around 27°

temp are always below 70°, if fan for gpu are set to 44%
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: