Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:37:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Union question  (Read 3673 times)
r2414 (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:41:54 PM

Hi, I'm paying someone through WU (paying through an agent), and all he provided me was his name and country. Can I send the money successfully? Sorry I'm completely new to WU.

Also, what's the fee in using WU? And do they require an ID?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:48:47 PM

why dont you ask that someone who works for WU.
like, in a local WU store.

also, google might help.
Oldsport

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:52:25 PM

Hi, I'm paying someone through WU (paying through an agent), and all he provided me was his name and country. Can I send the money successfully? Sorry I'm completely new to WU.

Also, what's the fee in using WU? And do they require an ID?

If that's all you have on the person this transaction probably isn't that safe. I'd suggest dealing through an escrow.

r2414 (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:53:49 PM

also, google might help.

thanks for the reply. Really helpful.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:56:56 PM

What could possibly go wrong? Cheesy

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 05:02:19 PM

also, google might help.

thanks for the reply. Really helpful.

Happy to help.

The real reason you should ask WU themselves is that if something goes wrong, you're gonna file a complaint "but the forumz said so!!111eleven^^"?

I dont understand why people do not go to the people that MUST NEED TO KNOW these things but instead rely on the half-wisdom of others.
r2414 (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 05:13:58 PM

Now that's the answer I was looking for, very detailed. Thanks nckfor. PMing you now as I have a few more questions.
BigFigurez

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:12:17 PM

When you send the payment they give you an MTCN code. The one receiving can only pick up the $$$ with the MTCN code. You can also put a secret question but I have never done that.
BigFigurez

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 01:51:24 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2013, 02:01:50 AM by BigFigurez

That's weird then because every time I've sent Western Union the agent has stressed to not lose the MTCN code because it's the only way to pick up the money.

Also, found this:

https://thewesternunion.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13
WishIStartedSooner

Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 03:55:25 AM

at your service. though I don't work for WU, I work for a WU affiliate.

Quote from: nckfor
All you need is there name and City/State

Fees vary based on amount sending.  Can get kind of high.

Be very careful with this.  If they want to use a test question/answer, almost vcertainly they are not who they say they are.  Also, once they pick up the money, regardless of ID or not, you won't have much recourse.  It's a federal law violation (wire fraud), but they are not gonna touch or investigate anything under 10k total, and probably not even that low.  In other words, you better make damn sure you use escrow or get the BTC or whatever goods first.

Hope this helps.

Pay special heed to his warning. Make damn good and sure you know who you're sending to, WU is a bastion for unscrupulous activity.

I would like to add that for sends above three grand you have to present your ID. Also, I'm pretty sure that this wasn't previously the case, but all receives (at least in the U.S.) now require an ID. At least in my location, my auditor freaks out if I do a receive without getting a copy of ID.

Also, be aware individual locations are at liberty turn down anybody, or require an mtcn. I know it sounds weird that we can turn down anybody, but scammers proliferate.

That's weird then because every time I've sent Western Union the agent has stressed to not lose the MTCN code because it's the only way to pick up the money.

Also, found this:

https://thewesternunion.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13

This is misleading. I rarely use an MTCN to look up a users transaction. I do verify it though if they wrote it down (some people don't fill out a form). They go by ID now.
2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 09:44:24 AM

addendum so i don't completely look like an asshole:

after two dozen or so transactions across the whole world, WU simply denied processing my payments one day. also denied paying out money wired to me.
no explanation.

hotline and the "AML team" were less than helpful.

fuck'em, use bitcoin instead.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 02:02:27 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2013, 03:37:53 AM by moni3z

For future reference, many countries like Russia you only need the name. The transfer is available no matter where they are in Russia. They simply present MTCN and ID and get paid.

I know this from wiring money to wm-center.com and wondered why the WU agent didn't ask me for the city. As for the secret question that's basically vanished, everybody has to present ID now in almost every country. Often, you don't have to use western union. There are a ton of alternatives like contact-sys, migom, ria, marco polo and anelik. All of these Eastern European, Russian and UK transfer services have offices in whatever country you live in to send money. Use them if WU gives you bullshit trouble for picking up too many transfers or sending too much.
WishIStartedSooner

Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 12:49:12 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2013, 12:18:51 PM by WishIStartedSooner

For future reference, many countries like Russia you only need the name. The transfer is available no matter where they are in Russia. They simply present MTCN and ID and get paid.

I know this from wiring money to wm-center.com and wondered why the WU agent didn't ask me for the city. As for the secret question that's basically vanished, everybody has to present ID now in almost every country. Often, you don't have to use western union. There are a ton of alternatives like contact-sys, migom, ria, marco polo and anelik. All of these Eastern European, Russian and UK transfer services have offices in whatever country you live in to send money. Use them if WU gives you bullshit trouble for picking up too many transfers or sending too much.

Regarding that, we shouldn't.

We had a girl start coming in and picking up like four or five receives a day from different parts of the country. They were only small receives from 50-150 bucks a pop, but we still thought it was suspicious.

We consulted the auditor-man about it and he arrived at the same conclusion as us. It seems suspicious but we couldn't really think of any scenario where receiving lots of small amounts could be used to (effectively) launder money or take drug profits (considering they were coming from different places). So we continue to do them for her.

My working theory would be that she's a cam whore but half of her receives come from her mom, so she's probably just someone from a money having family. But yea as long as you aren't receiving thousands at a time you're ok on that...

EDIT: I wanted to come back here and admit that I was wrong.

I went to work and found out for damn sure.

Under 1000 bucks and you CAN receive without an ID with only a test question.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: