Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:57:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Add address without sending or receiving coins from it.  (Read 1401 times)
Houseonfire (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:07:08 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2013, 07:18:07 PM by Houseonfire

I would like to add addresses to my address list without having to send/receive coins from it.

Is this possible?
Am I missing something?

EDIT:
And by this, I mean I want in my list of people to send stuff to to be populated with the people I want to send stuff to without having to send anything in the first place.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 07:33:41 PM

I would like to add addresses to my address list without having to send/receive coins from it.

Is this possible?
Am I missing something?

EDIT:
And by this, I mean I want in my list of people to send stuff to to be populated with the people I want to send stuff to without having to send anything in the first place.

Unfortunately not.  There actually is no saved address book system ... it simply constructs your address book from your transaction history, meaning that address must have been used in a transaction anywhere.  One day, I will add proper address book support, but for now this solution is extremely simple and reliable, even if it's not very flexible...

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Houseonfire (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:43:20 PM

Is this possible?
Am I missing something?

EDIT:

Unfortunately not.  There actually is no saved address book system ... it simply constructs your address book from your transaction history, meaning that address must have been used in a transaction anywhere.  One day, I will add proper address book support, but for now this solution is extremely simple and reliable, even if it's not very flexible...

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm glad it came right from the developer and not someone else.

I've been learning python myself so i figure i'd tinker around and see what i can learn by editing/ doing stuff with your app...
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 08:56:46 PM

Is this possible?
Am I missing something?

EDIT:

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm glad it came right from the developer and not someone else.

I've been learning python myself so i figure i'd tinker around and see what i can learn by editing/ doing stuff with your app...

Jump right in!  Python is fun, and the code should be fairly well-commented (though organization could be improved).   Let me know if you have any questions about anything, I'm always happy to help people get interested in the code.

If you were to make modifications that do what you're looking for, let me know and I'll try to review them and find a way to integrate them...

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Houseonfire (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:04:28 AM

Is this possible?
Am I missing something?

EDIT:

Unfortunately not.  There actually is no saved address book system ... it simply constructs your address book from your transaction history, meaning that address must have been used in a transaction anywhere.  One day, I will add proper address book support, but for now this solution is extremely simple and reliable, even if it's not very flexible...

Jump right in!  Python is fun, and the code should be fairly well-commented (though organization could be improved).   Let me know if you have any questions about anything, I'm always happy to help people get interested in the code.

If you were to make modifications that do what you're looking for, let me know and I'll try to review them and find a way to integrate them...

I wasn't sure sure why it would be too hard. There just needs to be a tab with a list in there, the list allows you to add the address/IDname. Then you click on the address/name and it opens up the send window and the listen item clicked is automatically placed into the send window.

I haven't even tried yet, but is that preposterous?

Or maybe even a simple config file with a simple format to put them in by hand?
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 03:25:25 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 03:50:30 AM by etotheipi

Honestly, it's not hard at all -- but there is tremendous value in the simplicity of the current design.  Armory is a very large, complicated beast.  Any time I can come up with a solid solution that doesn't requiring maintaining/synchronizing new files to disk, and doesn't require any new interfaces, data entry, error checking, etc -- is better for me and less bugs for users.  Pulling all the data from the blockchain scan and organizing it into a table is pretty darned easy.

Most importantly, is that I get to avoid all issues with serialization/deserialization, and partially-written/corrupted files that crash Armory.  It works 99.99% of the time, but then I spend many hours chasing down bugs for users that ends up being a corrupted address book file, or a bug in the code that reads/writes the data incorrectly and corrupts other things, causes crashing, or just a cascade of buggy behavior.  In fact, I have had this happen with mempool.bin, and is actually why I added the "Revert All Settings" option.

On second thought, this could piggyback on the Armory wallet file itself.  Create a new entry type and create an interface for converting user data into the new entry type.  This is favorable, because the wallet files have some corruption resistence built into them, and it makes sense to put address-book data in there anyway.

Houseonfire (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:41:35 AM

Honestly, it's not hard at all -- but there is tremendous value in the simplicity of the current design.  Armory is a very large, complicated beast.  Any time I can come up with a solid solution that doesn't requiring maintaining/synchronizing new files to disk, and doesn't require any new interfaces, data entry, error checking, etc -- is better for me and less bugs for users.  Pulling all the data from the blockchain scan and organizing it into a table is pretty darned easy.

Most importantly, is that I get to avoid all issues with serialization/deserialization, and partially-written/corrupted files that crash Armory.  It works 99.99% of the time, but then I spend many hours chasing down bugs for users that ends up being a corrupted address book file, or a bug in the code that reads/writes the data incorrectly and corrupts other things, causes crashing, or just a cascade of buggy behavior.  In fact, I have had this happen with mempool.bin, and is actually why I added the "Revert All Settings" tab.

On second thought, this could piggyback on the Armory wallet file itself.  Create a new entry type and create an interface for converting user data into the new entry type.  This is favorable, because the wallet files have some corruption resistence to them, and it makes sense to put address-book data in there anyway.

I understand what you're saying. More features = more problems.
But there are plenty of lists being populated already. Is populating a list of something like addresses/comments different than the others?
Eh, i'm sure I can test it out myself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: