Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:36:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Satoshi Client Feature Request  (Read 2016 times)
Wolf0 (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 1002

It was only the wind.

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 09:00:44 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2018, 03:30:34 AM by Wolf0

NaN.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 05:28:36 AM

Would it be hard to allow import of private keys in the minikey format, as well as full private keys?

<spam>Armory has this feature</spam>

EDIT: In fact, if you really want it but don't want to use Armory, you could load Armory in offline mode, then import the mini private key, and immediately export it.  Armory doesn't save the minified key, only the full key.  Then you can import it elsewhere.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:34:23 AM

I don't think the Satoshi client can import keys at all.

Google "importprivkey".
Severian

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:12:37 AM

I stand corrected. I suppose they just hate GUI coding?  Roll Eyes

Offer a decent bounty and you might be able to attract a developer who'd fix you up. : )
Severian

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:33:20 AM

I AM a developer who'd fix me up. :3
Looking for interest, as well. Why do it if I'd be the only one who uses it and it doesn't get accepted into the client?

Well hell, I'd be interested. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Put up a thread and get some opinions. There seems to be a surplus of opinion here.

If you need a tester, let me know. I can't code well but I sure can break things.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:13:13 AM

The minikey spec doesn't seem to indicate the compression status of the imported key.  Since there are multiple implementations already, I presume that they all are doing it either one way or the other.  If so, the spec should be updated.  Of course, if everyone is assuming that the key is uncompressed, then we need to rework the spec to fix that too.

Once that is taken care of, adding it to the client is easy enough.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 08:22:36 PM

The minikey always uses uncompressed public keys.

I am open to being persuaded that it should be changed.  I don't presently consider support for compressed public keys a necessity.  But if it should be changed, then it should also be updated to use scrypt or something stronger than sha256, and potentially also changed to support some level of encryption like BIP38 (if feasible).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 12:07:10 AM

The minikey always uses uncompressed public keys.

I am open to being persuaded that it should be changed.  I don't presently consider support for compressed public keys a necessity.  But if it should be changed, then it should also be updated to use scrypt or something stronger than sha256, and potentially also changed to support some level of encryption like BIP38 (if feasible).

Compressed keys provide a modest but real space savings in the block chain.  I'm not aware of any reasons why anyone would ever want or need to create a new key without using the compressed form.

As for the hashing algorithm, I don't see any point in making generation slower.  The real security is in the ~162 bits of entropy embedded in the string.  As long as the transformation isn't leaking much entropy, it is still easier to just brute force search the 2160 bitcoin address space.

Show your work: Minikey is base58, 30 symbols long.  The first symbol is fixed, so there are 5829 possible strings, which is about 2170.  Only 1 in 28 are valid, leaving about 162 bits of entropy.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
archaeopteryx

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 12:17:20 PM

Did this ever get tested? I'm not a programmer but if you just want someone to install it on their machine and see how/if it works I can probably do that.
Diapolo

Activity: 769
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 12:54:30 PM

@Wolf0 You should create an official pull-request, there you will most likely get it reviewed and at least a build from our pull-tester Smiley.

See: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pulls

Dia

Liked my former work for Bitcoin Core? Drop me a donation via:
1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x
bitcoin:1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x?label=Diapolo
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:34:19 PM

I have a request, but it seems it's already implemented by coin control. However, I want it in the main Satoshi reference client. To limit key generation and specify usage to already existing keys. Or to make it send change back to the same key (like one key is used in Bitcoin Spinner.)

So I can play those block chain games without generating 500 new keys due to 600 transactions, when it works just as well with just 1 key.

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:10:02 PM

I have a request, but it seems it's already implemented by coin control. However, I want it in the main Satoshi reference client. To limit key generation and specify usage to already existing keys. Or to make it send change back to the same key (like one key is used in Bitcoin Spinner.)

So I can play those block chain games without generating 500 new keys due to 600 transactions, when it works just as well with just 1 key.

This will probably never be included in the reference client.  It has seriously bad privacy implications, and is considered to be unsafe for that reason.

jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:12:09 PM

So you want a "kill privacy" checkbox, in other words Smiley

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
lleibowitz

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:12:45 PM

What exactly is the advantage (if any) of mini keys?
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:23:32 PM

They are shorter.

dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 08:43:11 PM

I think the original motivation was to have a key that could easily be printed under the hologram of a physical coin.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 04:37:00 AM

So you want a "kill privacy" checkbox, in other words Smiley

Yes. It would be an option. Also, the reference client already includes support for "accounts" which are different groups of keys.

I mean, if I only use one address for playing games, like SD, it would make sense to stick to one key. (avoids so called dust.) If that key were separate from all my other keys, then there wouldn't be a privacy issue. Everyone would just see one key betting and losing (or winning). From time to time, it will get "donations" from other keys, but then you can't prove anything.

BitHits

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 08:16:21 AM

How about a No Forced TX Fee in the Satoshi client!

Hurry before BitCoin dies!

Free BTC http://beta.BitHits.info BTC 1DNNERMT5MMusfYnCBfcKCBjBKZWBC5Lg2 DGC DH2Pm4VXxsTeqUYZkEySU1c8p5TLvuLe8u LTC LP2QiL1pnsaKVX5Qa811pFJuFL8FxkxWRz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: