Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:44:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: for you, what is the newest and best Linux Platform for a server test?  (Read 1000 times)
TheBarMan (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

DEGEN Future Traders

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 01:52:53 PM

Hi all.

as i told in some of my previous topics am starting (or triying to start)  some new BTC projects.

As you know (better than me) the best way to do this is with a local test server.

according to my research, the best programming language is php with json and a mysql database.

So, i just have a windows computer with a VirtualBox Debian server.

for testing purposes i use this Debian Server as a remote server even in the windows computer, so, for example, if i need a change or configuration i doit from a ssh connection, if i need upload files i do it from a ftp client, etc

Debian is working fine, but i realy want to know if is the best option...

so please, let me know if you have better ideas my friends.

Have a nice day.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Emerge
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 02:09:48 PM

Hi all.

as i told in some of my previous topics am starting (or triying to start)  some new BTC projects.

As you know (better than me) the best way to do this is with a local test server.

according to my research, the best programming language is php with json and a mysql database.

for testing purposes i use this Debian Server as a remote server even in the windows computer, so, for example, if i need a change or configuration i doit from a ssh connection, if i need upload files i do it from a ftp client, etc

Debian is working fine, but i realy want to know if is the best option...

Have a nice day.

1.) You must have done bad research:
PHP is not much of a good language, but it's a good start.. try Javascript (Node.JS, Meteor), or if you want to push with PHP, Laravel

2.) Ubuntu 14.04 is very widely known and used
TheBarMan (OP)

DEGEN Future Traders

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 02:30:05 PM

1.) You must have done bad research:
PHP is not much of a good language, but it's a good start.. try Javascript (Node.JS, Meteor), or if you want to push with PHP, Laravel

2.) Ubuntu 14.04 is very widely known and used

ok, thats a very nice comment, so JavaScript is a user side language, or i was thinking that, run in apache without problems?

oh my!!! maybe im really dusty here.

im downloading right now ubuntu 16.04 (Server)

i was using in an old computer the ubuntu 14 but i didnt like it very much, dont ask why, but if you feel that is better i will try again.

; P
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2016, 02:53:30 PM

Hi all.

Debian is working fine, but i really want to know if is the best option...

Have a nice day.

There's several different ways to look at it, you may want something that has the greatest utilization to aid you in getting help from others when you get stuck or you may want the most secure platform. If you're new to developing on a lamp stack, I'd highly recommend looking at various how-to's and other material for looking what your doing. Here's why, a lot of the click this, type that is going to be very specific on all things from security, configuration, and troubleshooting. If you pick some esoteric version of linux because it's the latest or the coolest, there may not be a lot help or tutorials that will apply.  From a security standpoint, you may not want to use the most popular version of something since it has the largest attack profile. A perfect example is that lot of people will recommend using blockchain.info as a bitcoin API, but they have had security and stability issues. Most of the early tutorials and sample code will point you to blockchain.info, later tutorials will have you use electrum, or bitcoind.

Not that these solutions are the best, but when looking for help, these platforms have the most material available for tutorials and help:
server os: unbuntu 14.x
server side: php 5.x
client side: javascript
server side web: apache 2
database: mysql 5.x (oracle owns mysql)
TheBarMan (OP)

DEGEN Future Traders

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 03:10:46 PM

There's several different ways to look at it, you may want something that has the greatest utilization to aid you in getting help from others when you get stuck or you may want the most secure platform. If you're new to developing on a lamp stack, I'd highly recommend looking at various how-to's and other material for looking what your doing. Here's why, a lot of the click this, type that is going to be very specific on all things from security, configuration, and troubleshooting. If you pick some esoteric version of linux because it's the latest or the coolest, there may not be a lot help or tutorials that will apply.  From a security standpoint, you may not want to use the most popular version of something since it has the largest attack profile. A perfect example is that lot of people will recommend using blockchain.info as a bitcoin API, but they have had security and stability issues. Most of the early tutorials and sample code will point you to blockchain.info, later tutorials will have you use electrum, or bitcoind.

Not that these solutions are the best, but when looking for help, these platforms have the most material available for tutorials and help:

hi mate, your comment is really usefull and accurate, that was one of the situations that make me move from ubuntu.

when i was using it in my old computer it was brand new, so there wasn't documentation and manuals.

i starting to use debian because in some sites (specially the sites that  sale virtual servers the option was debian) and i was using red hat when it was for free, so the logical part was use this version

Emerge
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 05:42:38 PM

hi mate, your comment is really usefull and accurate, that was one of the situations that make me move from ubuntu.

when i was using it in my old computer it was brand new, so there wasn't documentation and manuals.

i starting to use debian because in some sites (specially the sites that  sale virtual servers the option was debian) and i was using red hat when it was for free, so the logical part was use this version

Javascript is a great server side thing too Smiley

Again, see Node.js Smiley
TheBarMan (OP)

DEGEN Future Traders

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 06:45:13 PM

Javascript is a great server side thing too Smiley

Again, see Node.js Smiley

I found it in here

https://github.com/nodejs/node/wiki  (i download the windows option)

in was programming before with jsp (Java Srcipt Server)

and i like it a lot because it has many things from the "pure java" for say something and is like ASP...

is something like that?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: