Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:21:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Eventual size of blockchain?  (Read 2741 times)
xavier

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 07:30:56 PM

There is a hard limit as to how much information can be stored on a chip. It's just we havent reached it in 30 years.

So then store it in your body.

Just 4g of DNA could store all the digital information created in a year on the planet.

http://www.techthefuture.com/technology/all-data-humanity-creates-in-a-year-stored-on-4-grams-of-dna/

So you are including DNA computing technology in your investment analysis of bitcoin? This has not even been invented yet. It's just a concept. It is ridiculous to speculate on DNA storage - it's like talking about nuclear fusion.

Its clear that for the foreseeable future, storage is not unlimited, and also bandwidth is not unlimited. The unlimited size of the blockchain; the fact that anybody can add transactions for no cost, eg. SDice. The overhead with distributing an unlimited sized file to every node. IMO, that's the bitcoin end game - ignoring any government influence.

We're already seeing the beginnings of this problem with the patch from psi that's now available, that skips SDice transactions for miners.

O RLY?

Next-Generation Digital Information Storage in DNA
George M. Church, Yuan Gao, Sriram Kosuri, Published Online August 16 2012
Science 28 September 2012:
Vol. 337 no. 6102 p. 1628
DOI: 10.1126/science.1226355

Digital information is accumulating at an astounding rate, straining our ability to store and archive it. DNA is among the most dense and stable information media known. The development of new technologies in both DNA synthesis and sequencing make DNA an increasingly feasible digital storage medium. We developed a strategy to encode arbitrary digital information in DNA, wrote a 5.27-megabit book using DNA microchips, and read the book by using next-generation DNA sequencing.

EDIT:
To be clear, I agree that block size should have a limit, although it will probably need raised to more than 1 MB at some point.

Sorry, I read your comment but I dont see how this article or paper contradicts what I was saying

Show me a link to amazon where I can buy a DNA computing device. Then I'll conclude that what you're talking about is more than just a concept.

RE: dancupid

"Moore's law" is not really a law. It was just an analysis by a guy 40 years ago who predicted a trend in microcomputing (that is computers getting smaller and smaller). For some reason this prediction has been given the word "law" but actually this is wrong.

Let me repeat what I said before. There is a hard limit to how much information can be stored on a chip. Its just we havent reached it.

Therefore the concept of distributing an unlimited sized file to every node on the network is fundamentally not sustainable or economical - READ: flawed. Storage will not be getting cheaper forever but under the current design of bitcoin, the filesize of blockchain will be getting bigger forever.

This analysis doesnt even take into account the bandwidth usage requirement as well, which will also be getting bigger forever.
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:06:33 PM

also take into account the possibility of specialized hardware. there could be a usb6.0 device, that stores the first 30 years of bitcoin history (which never changes again) and let's you interface with it. i don't think of a normal harddisk+traditional db-indexing, but more like a general purpose "client/server" like communication interface, that hooks directly into bitcoind. we don't know what kind of devices will be there, maybe some kind of holographic crystal with a quantum-effect-indexing-layer.

so, all i want to say is that you have to take uncertainty of the future into account.
xavier

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:26:49 PM

also take into account the possibility of specialized hardware. there could be a usb6.0 device, that stores the first 30 years of bitcoin history (which never changes again) and let's you interface with it. i don't think of a normal harddisk+traditional db-indexing, but more like a general purpose "client/server" like communication interface, that hooks directly into bitcoind. we don't know what kind of devices will be there, maybe some kind of holographic crystal with a quantum-effect-indexing-layer.

so, all i want to say is that you have to take uncertainty of the future into account.

Yes indeed, of course they may be innovations to overcome this.

Guess we'll see
astutiumRob

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 02:21:58 AM

No one needs more than 640K.
I only just found out computers did colours - I thought everything was supposed to be green-on-black Smiley

www.astutium.com - domains | hosting | vps | servers | cloud - proud to accept bitcoins. UK colocation for BFL and KNC ASICs in Tier3+ DC
Register Domains with BTC
Want to make some bitcoins ? Miner on ebay | Buy GH/s
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: