Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:15:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to mine completely unnoticed?  (Read 789 times)
whathe12 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:27:52 AM

I need help somehow enabling a miner to be able to mine silently, not physical as in sound, but as in the fact it won't show up as a window or on the task bar.
I've told my family about mining BTC but they don't want to deal with the hassle of some annoying window always being on the task bar or just being visible.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? I have complete permission and access to do this on both my parent's and brothers computer.
battmann

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

I am a student of programming and design.

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:33:19 AM

You don't want to mine with a family members conventional computer bro trust me. It will do nothing but fry their shite.

Unless they all have gaming computers with great cards, but I would guess that you are actually CPU mining...right?
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 12:41:14 AM

Please don't. The electricity used will cost way more than the coins you could mine.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
whathe12 (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:44:47 AM

I believe I'm GPU mining actually, currently averaging around 23 mhps on my own pc and have gotten an avg on my bro's of 30 mhps. I'm using the bitminter client right now for simplicity but I know how to use other miners like phoenix and cgminer, I just don't know howto make them run silently.

Electricity isn't a matter, we invested in some solar panels a view years back and have more than enough to use on stuff like this.

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:50:20 AM

http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

I don't know your exact condition but your parent will lose about 329$ while you gain 36$ after 1 year. Have fun!
debianlinux

Activity: 221

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:53:37 AM

Ah yes, another scientific explanation that refuses to account for the possibility the value of the BTC itself goes up.

Not to say it would ever actually be worth it but the final number is completely false.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:56:08 AM

Ah yes, another scientific explanation that refuses to account for the possibility the value of the BTC itself goes up.

Not to say it would ever actually be worth it but the final number is completely false.
Price will need to rise a lot to compensate the difficulty rise when ASIC will became common very soon.

EDIT: Did not see the solar panel part. Anyway might be an interesting experiment.
whathe12 (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:58:32 AM

Will anyone like to try and answer the original question? All I want to do is just run a miner completely unnoticed so the PC I'm running it on will not have it up as a window or on the task bar. If anyone knows how to do this that would be great.
battmann

Activity: 182

I am a student of programming and design.

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:03:48 AM

Will anyone like to try and answer the original question? All I want to do is just run a miner completely unnoticed so the PC I'm running it on will not have it up as a window or on the task bar. If anyone knows how to do this that would be great.

I think the answer may lie in the googling of the problem "How to hide applications in Windows" more so than on this board. Sorry, just my buck-o-five.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 01:07:12 AM

Run cgminer as a service maybe?
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/83272-how-to-run-a-program-as-a-service/
whathe12 (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:21:17 AM

^Bingo, thanks for the help. Once I get around 0.1 BTC I'll see if I can spare some to ya.
coinpeculiator

Activity: 27

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:27:33 PM

It doesn't refuse to account for the fact that BTC values might go up, it's just beyond the scope of that formula, it provides a comparison of the prices of mining your own coins versus buying them on the market.

If you mine coins now paying for electricity, you could instead spend the money for the electric bills on mtgox. Then if the value rises in the future you've made better profit than mining them yourself.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:34:53 PM

Then better buy bitcoins! Better buy 292$ of bitcoins than waste this money for 36$ of bitcoins!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: