Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 07:27:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there an alt-chain that does useful work instead of plain hashes?  (Read 1454 times)
beeblebrox (OP)

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:31:44 AM

Hello,
I'm considering programming an alt-chain that has a dead-coin sweep to enable the miners to retreive inactive coins (see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=148232.0 for the reasoins why).

If I'm going to do this I'm thinking that I might as well improve/change other parts.  I had a idea about 3 years ago how it *might* be possible to get the network to do useful general work instead of hashes, but didn't think very deeply about it so suspect it probably wouldn't work/is flawed.  

I'm interested in knowing whether anyone has proposed a way to do this so that I might read their proposal and see if it's similar to my idea or different and see if I can incorporate their ideas?

thanks.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 02:54:05 AM

You need work that is hard to do, but easy to check that it has been done and done correctly.

Also that is available in constant / neverending supply in endless quantities without some inventor / creator dishing it out who might have some kind of inside track on doing it.

So far nothing was thought of that fits those requirements as far as I am aware.

But if you have done your searches you already know all that, right?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 04:02:11 AM

You need work that is hard to do, but easy to check that it has been done and done correctly.

Also that is available in constant / neverending supply in endless quantities without some inventor / creator dishing it out who might have some kind of inside track on doing it.

So far nothing was thought of that fits those requirements as far as I am aware.

-MarkM-

The first of those "hard to do but easy to verify" isn't such a huge problem.

The second "no central delegator of work" is also not too big a problem in terms of making the concept work, but IS a major issue in terms of making the work efficient.

The real problem I encountered when I considered a similar issue is finding work which is useful AND which can't be done before the previous block is published to the chain.  Bitcoin gets around it by making data from the previous block the key element in the calculation - hence preventing someon stock-piling a bunch of solutions in advance then using them to double-spend later.

You can't get anywhere near a good solution by doing some hybrid (e.g. solving some useful problem then hashing it with the previous block) as either:

a)  The hashing part produces no protection due to being too easy (allowing stock-piling of results and double-spending)
or
b) The hashing part is very hard - making the 'useful' work just a cosmetic change with the bulk of the work being done just as in Bitcoin.  And even then it STILL reduces the power needed to double-spend.

There ARE ways to try to solve this - such as using the hash of the previous block plus the public key of the miner's wallet as the seed to generate a starting point for work (assuming work can be found which can be apportioned based on a key/hash - not too hard if you consider all work can conceptually be split into a number of pieces and any key can be converted into a number in a specific range).  You would then need a function which could take this combination of hash/key and generate a seed.  That seed would then be used as the starting point for a search in the target domain.  You'd then need some limit set on what was considered a reasonable depth from that starting point to be a valid result.

It would still be horribly inefficient - as you couldn't track who'd done what work without finding a valid result (there'd be no incentive for miners to report work that found no result - as it would be against their interest to prevent others expending effort rechecking it on later blocks).  For a large enough domain of work that wouldn't be a huge issue.
pyra-proxy

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 04:11:01 AM

While it may not be useful it would be interesting... I heard tell of a person describing a competitive proof of work algo utilizing prime number factorization or some such, if possible I suspect the results would be more useful in science/engineering disciplines than just sha hashing.... thought it was on redit or some such......

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 04:15:07 AM

But how do you easily and cheaply prove a number is prime?

The point about needing the previous work to proceed to the next is an important one that slipped my mind when I posted earlier.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Deprived

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 04:27:59 AM

But how do you easily and cheaply prove a number is prime?

The point about needing the previous work to proceed to the next is an important one that slipped my mind when I posted earlier.

-MarkM-

Yeah - the work needs to be much more the nature of finding a needle in a haystack (easy to verify it's a needle once it's found) than calculating the total length of all bits of hay in said haystack (only verifiable by duplicating the work). 

Whilst verifying a number is prime is obviously MUCH easier than finding the next prime number after X it has to be remembered that blocks need to be able to be verified by ALL users of the block-chain, so needs to be able to be done by someone using just an old CPU in a trivial amount of time.  That really does cut down the useful work that is feasible - as the work has to be divisible into parts that are individually easy to either compute or verify (which also means there have to be an immense number of such tasks available).

There's also the problem of duplication - you have to ensure that if valid work is done it isn't feasible for someone to submit something based on the same work again for a future block.  That means verifying involves checking against a list of all previously computer work contained in the block-chain.  And you then still have to deal with the problem that if the same work is being done outside the block-chain then results from that can also be submitted without the submitter having actually done the work at all.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 04:49:38 AM

Yes. Basically this has been hashed out (see what I did there) for years, original poster maybe didn't do the homework / research the prior art.

-MarkM-

pyra-proxy

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:08:32 AM

Note: I said it was related to prime number factorization... not necessarily find the next prime number etc.  Example, RSA to find the 2 prime number factors of some "semi-prime" number... finding the factors is the hard part, verifying they are the factors and are prime not as hard.... as far a sequential work is concerned RSA must have a way for theirs.,,,  in any case this was not what I saw as well but my google-fu is failing me :-(

Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 05:48:46 AM

Fascinating, let me throw what I can to the brainstorm:

pyra-proxy is right, verifying a factor can be easy.

Let's start with Mersenne numbers 2**p - 1 (p is prime).

A factor of a Mersenne number can be verified fairly quickly.

Now we can treat such a proof-of-factor as our proof-of-work. But how about difficulty? I think making the factor big could do it. That is, factor f (prime?) must be greater than a 'difficulty', and of course less than the squareroot of the Mersenne number.

To prevent reuse, each block must present a different (unique) Mersenne number from the previous blocks. Difficulty is adjusted dynamically similar to what's done in ppcoin/devcoin.

Now I need to find a math genius to tell me he can generate those trivially with arbitrary difficulty  Grin

Don't ask me about the stockpile in the great internet mersenne search ... let's beat them with difficulty  Tongue

beeblebrox (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:15:20 AM

-MarkM-

That's true for the way it's currently done, but my idea takes a different track.  I have done a few searches but all I find is people asking why bitcoin doesn't do useful work.  All alt-coins that I've seen use the traditional hash base method.

My idea takes a completely new approach to the original idea that "miners do work that all nodes verify".  However, please note, I haven't though about the in-and-outs of very deeply so it is most likely fundamentally flawed.
What I envision is a system that works broadly as follows:  the miners are split into groups to perform calcuations individually but their result must concur with the other miners in the group.  The nodes don't verify the work, but verify that the miners' results concur.

A (shallow) example how this could be achived:

The miners are grouped off into dynamic pairings to do a useful calculations.  These pairing are determined in a deterministic but essentially random way,  also the pairing members will change from each calculation to the next, eg: they can be determined by way of modulo hash the miners recieving address+other data derived from last calculation
The useful calculations can be *any* calculation-- the public upload the algorithms they want run to a p2p file system and request a certain number of computation steps (computation steps according to an idealized turing machine) to be done.  The network divvies up the calculations in a deterministic but essentially randon way among the mining groups, eg:the dishing out of problems can be based on hashes of algorithm+data modulo the number of groups.  The miner's commit to paying a bond which forces them to solve the calculation to required number of steps or forfeit the bond.  Once a miner completes the required number of steps it publishes a sealed-hash of the result publicly which goes to the block-chain nodes, then it is free to enter a new calculation round with a new partner.   When both members of a pair have finished the calculation (ie: when both notice that the other has finished) they publish the result (which can be quite a size) to the p2p file system and unseals the hash given to the nodes.  The nodes of the network verify that the two now un-sealed hashes of the result from both miners are the same, if they are the same then these results are considered valid and the number of steps of the calculation goes toward the miners collectlive total for the current block.  If they are different then the results are considered invalid and the miners don't get to increment the total-number-of-steps count.  (if one miner publishes a hash but their partner doesn't before the block closes then the one that publishes gets to increase their total-step-count while the other loses their bond to the block fee pool, if neither publishes then they both lose their bond).

Once the total number of steps performed collectively by all miners surpasses a set limit then the miners race to find the next block like normal in bitcoin.  Once a new block is found, the miner's overall total number of steps is reset to zero and it starts again.  The system adjusts both the block hash difficulty and the cumulative-number-of-steps/block to maintain the block rate  (though it increases the steps faster than the hash difficulty).

To improve the system you can introduce fees per step that each agorithm owner offers to pay (this fee go toward the block finding reward) to have their algorithm run and the miners state the minimum fee per step  they're prepared to accept and the system uses a pricing mechanism of determining the minimum fee per step that a candidate algorithm must have-- doing this discourages miners from asking for their own algorithm's to be solved since they may have to pay for it.

One obvious problem is that malicious miners may deliberately give false results, this could be mitigated by increasing the group size and require a majority concurrence.  Another is the publishling of the result hash to the block-chain nodes in a timely manner so that an overwhelming majoirty of nodes can get it in time to check that the hashes concur.

Hopefully other problems, such as collusion to reduce the amount of work actually performed,  could be migitaged by way of bonds, rewards, fees with game-theory so that the malicious actions cost the perpetrator(s).
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 06:35:50 AM

beeble, an obvious question is that how do you prevent miners collude to give false result if the result is not easily verifiable by everybody? Note the 'miners' are just mining nodes that someone could produce a lot of, and only collude if a 'group' happens to consist of only its own nodes. You need a detailed plan how to prevent this with bonds etc.
Deprived

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:49:28 AM

Biggest problem I immediately see with beeble's post is it's very hard to deal with things like assigning miners to groups when people are constantly joining and leaving the network.  Then there's the issue of how someone who just joined can have a bond somehow verified so they can start mining immediately.

Any system which requires EVERY node to know every other node in the network is just not going to work.  Any deterministic way of pairing people off based on wallet addresses NEEDS either that - or a centralised authority.

The former (knowing everyone else on the network) fails because above a certain size the participants in the network will change (or appear to change) far faster than a complete list can be circulated and agreed upon.  And not only does the list have to be agreed upon and propagated, it has to be stored forever - so it can be verified that a team claiming work were actually a valid team.

For that reason alone, I don't see anything which requires teams to be feasible.  And as you already realised (which is why you added teams I assume) it's totally exploitable without them.
beeblebrox (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:57:31 AM

beeble, an obvious question is that how do you prevent miners collude to give false result if the result is not easily verifiable by everybody? Note the 'miners' are just mining nodes that someone could produce a lot of, and only collude if a 'group' happens to consist of only its own nodes. You need a detailed plan how to prevent this with bonds etc.

Firstly, note that the chances of colluding miners is reduced since the groups are formed beyond their control (you can't pick your partner- the system hands one to you randomly).  Though, as you note, the one miner can make many personalities to increase their chances of getting two of them into the same pairing.

However, for a miner to participate they pay a bond-- this bond is taken if they DON'T complete the required number of steps-- so for every personality that doesn't get matched to one of their own they have to complete the calculation to not lose the bond.  Though, this will be overcome eventually if they totalyl flood the system with their personalities-- since eventually their is a point where the chances of a match raise above 50%.

So, a potential way to stop this is to have the miners a pays a fee (in additon to the bond above).  For each pairing, this fee gets reimbursed to the miner which first completes the algorithms number-of-steps but for the other miner his fee goes towards the block reward.  In this case the miner loses out at the calculation stage (although if he wins the block reward he gets it back, but this is hard to do).  
eg:  both pairings members pay 1coin, however, only the faster calculator gets his coin back. If a miner owns both members of a pair then he pays 2coin but only gets 1 back-- so he loses out, thus is discourages from doing this.
beeblebrox (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:08:50 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 11:42:18 AM by beeblebrox

Biggest problem I immediately see with beeble's post is it's very hard to deal with things like assigning miners to groups when people are constantly joining and leaving the network.  Then there's the issue of how someone who just joined can have a bond somehow verified so they can start mining immediately.

The miners wishing to start mining join the action by making a special transaction on the block-chain- once it is in the block chain for say the 2nd confirmation they are now in the game-- ie: their bond is active so they must mine.  You could set it up so that they must mine for just one block, or a fixed number of blocks controlled by the size of the transaction they made or indefinitely (indefinitely would require another transaction to officially exit the mining game), this is just detail though, going beyond what I've thought about.  

I've already explained what happens when someone leaves during the calculation stage, the result of single miner is who left is considered valid as for as the total-number-steps is concerned and the miner that didn't finished is penalised by losing their bond.

NOTE: I've just edited this heavily and re-worded it-- the first edition was a mess
Deprived

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:21:37 AM

Fascinating, let me throw what I can to the brainstorm:

pyra-proxy is right, verifying a factor can be easy.

Let's start with Mersenne numbers 2**p - 1 (p is prime).

A factor of a Mersenne number can be verified fairly quickly.

Now we can treat such a proof-of-factor as our proof-of-work. But how about difficulty? I think making the factor big could do it. That is, factor f (prime?) must be greater than a 'difficulty', and of course less than the squareroot of the Mersenne number.

To prevent reuse, each block must present a different (unique) Mersenne number from the previous blocks. Difficulty is adjusted dynamically similar to what's done in ppcoin/devcoin.

Now I need to find a math genius to tell me he can generate those trivially with arbitrary difficulty  Grin

Don't ask me about the stockpile in the great internet mersenne search ... let's beat them with difficulty  Tongue

I'm not convinced just how useful this is for starters.  It's pretty easy to detect whether a Mersenne number is composite - and it's definitely NOT in miner's interest to be checking a Mersenne number that may actually be a prime.  So miners would focus on numbers that definitely were NOT prime - and hence deliver absolutely nothing useful (or do you know of some use for the factors of a Mersenne number?).

Also, with a difficulty level, miners would be best served not checking below a prime of the requisite size (as no use to them finding it) and moving to a new candidate if/when it became more efficient than continuing to check the current one (the extent to which this is an issue depends on the method used to check primes).

Other problem I see is the allocation of work.  This has to be done to prevent offline generation of a bunch of results then a double-spend attack.

And of course a pool of miners can collude and store results which don't quite meet the difficulty requirement - then leave network to lower difficulty and submit them on rejoining (and mine offline in interim).
Deprived

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:34:02 AM

Biggest problem I immediately see with beeble's post is it's very hard to deal with things like assigning miners to groups when people are constantly joining and leaving the network.  Then there's the issue of how someone who just joined can have a bond somehow verified so they can start mining immediately.

Any system which requires EVERY node to know every other node in the network is just not going to work.  Any deterministic way of pairing people off based on wallet addresses NEEDS either that - or a centralised authority.

The former (knowing everyone else on the network) fails because above a certain size the participants in the network will change (or appear to change) far faster than a complete list can be circulated and agreed upon.  And not only does the list have to be agreed upon and propagated, it has to be stored forever - so it can be verified that a team claiming work were actually a valid team.

For that reason alone, I don't see anything which requires teams to be feasible.  And as you already realised (which is why you added teams I assume) it's totally exploitable without them.

The miners available for mining register by making aspecial transaction before the block they start mining for (ie: they make a special transaction-- once it is in the block chain for say the 2nd confirmation they are now in the game-- ie: their bond is active so they must mine.).  You could set it up so that they must mine for just one block, or a fixed number of blocks controlled by the size of the transaciton they made or indefinitely (indefinitely would require another transaction to officially exit the mining game), this is just detail though-- going beyond what I've though about.  I've already explained what happens when someone leaves during the calculation stage, the result of single miner left is considered valid as for as the total-number-steps is concerned and the miner that didn't finished is penalised by losing their bond.

NOTE: I've just edited this heavily and re-worded it-- the first edition was a mess

Surely this is going to lead to HUGE block-chain bloat as ALL of the following have to be stored indefinitely:

1.  Wallet address and a bond transaction for EVERY miner on the network EVERY time they join it.
2   Each block, every miner has to have a transaction either paying from their wallet to the block finder or refunding to them.

Also, there's an issue with the idea of a bond for doing a fixed amount of work.  Either:

a) It's trivial to do - so serves no purpose to prevent anyone submitting loads of fake miners to lock other people into partnerships that will never finish.

or

b) It's hard enough to do that miners below a certain size legitimately won't be able to meet it sometimes : leading to increasing centralisation of mining.

Oh - and you do realise miners can choose which transactions to include?  The incentive would be for miners to try generating missing out other people's transactions until they found a set pairing them with a partner they wanted.  Then not only can they collude but they lock other perfectly valid miners out - as the other miners can't mine at all without a bond in the chain.

Ultimately all a miner has to do is generate a block with JUST bonds from himself and a partner - then noone else can ever join as they can't get a bond payment processed.  Or run a pool with a high fee that only includes deposits from its own members: the fee is worth it for members as once the pool finds a few blocks they gain a shot at locking everyone else out from mining.
beeblebrox (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 08:40:05 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 12:34:12 PM by beeblebrox

Any system which requires EVERY node to know every other node in the network is just not going to work.  Any deterministic way of pairing people off based on wallet addresses NEEDS either that - or a centralised authority.

The former (knowing everyone else on the network) fails because above a certain size the participants in the network will change (or appear to change) far faster than a complete list can be circulated and agreed upon.  And not only does the list have to be agreed upon and propagated, it has to be stored forever - so it can be verified that a team claiming work were actually a valid team.

For that reason alone, I don't see anything which requires teams to be feasible.  And as you already realised (which is why you added teams I assume) it's totally exploitable without them.

The miners available for mining register by making aspecial transaction before the block they start mining for (ie: they make a special transaction-- once it is in the block chain for say the 2nd confirmation they are now in the game-- ie: their bond is active so they must mine.).  You could set it up so that they must mine for just one block, or a fixed number of blocks controlled by the size of the transaciton they made or indefinitely (indefinitely would require another transaction to officially exit the mining game), this is just detail though-- going beyond what I've though about.  I've already explained what happens when someone leaves during the calculation stage, the result of single miner left is considered valid as for as the total-number-steps is concerned and the miner that didn't finished is penalised by losing their bond.

Surely this is going to lead to HUGE block-chain bloat as ALL of the following have to be stored indefinitely:

1.  Wallet address and a bond transaction for EVERY miner on the network EVERY time they join it.
2   Each block, every miner has to have a transaction either paying from their wallet to the block finder or refunding to them.

Wouldn't be that many transactions.  At the moment on bitcoin the number of miners is just in the thousands (I believe) and each miner usually mines for quite long period straight (hours/days/weeks/months) at a time.  If you made it that the miners mine indefinitely unless they formerly exit (or run out of bond) then that's not many transactions per day.  It would be less than Sastoshi Dice.
The number of transactions regarding the bonds can actually be dramatically reduced-- the system keeps a running total of the bonds and fees off-main-chain among the nodes over a minning session or set of blocks (which ever is smaller) and clears it at session exit or on the last block of the set.  

Please note: I thinking about a new system here- I'm not limited to what I can do by how bitcoin currently works.  I'm not in the slightest interested in maintaining compatibility with the current bitcoin system-- this is not a bitcoin fork proposal but a complete new system based on some of the more interesting parts of bitcoin technology!

Also, there's an issue with the idea of a bond for doing a fixed amount of work.  Either:

a) It's trivial to do - so serves no purpose to prevent anyone submitting loads of fake miners to lock other people into partnerships that will never finish.

or

b) It's hard enough to do that miners below a certain size legitimately won't be able to meet it sometimes : leading to increasing centralisation of mining.

You could make the fee self adjusting according to formula that accounts for number of miners, total reward, total transaction amount.

Oh - and you do realise miners can choose which transactions to include?  The incentive would be for miners to try generating missing out other people's transactions until they found a set pairing them with a partner they wanted.  Then not only can they collude but they lock other perfectly valid miners out - as the other miners can't mine at all without a bond in the chain.

I think you're confusing calculations with transaction blocks.
I explicitly stated that the dishing out of calculations is handled deterministically by the system.  It may require that a hash of each algorithm is pre-registered/acknowledged by a group-of-miners somewhere before it gets processed or something like that-- but I imagine that it is possible to solve this.  The miners are still free to choose whichever transactions to include in a block that they want (besides the bond/fee ones).

Ultimately all a miner has to do is generate a block with JUST bonds from himself and a partner - then noone else can ever join as they can't get a bond payment processed.  Or run a pool with a high fee that only includes deposits from its own members: the fee is worth it for members as once the pool finds a few blocks they gain a shot at locking everyone else out from mining.

I'm trying to understand what you wrote here-- but am not following it, sorry.  I think you're confusing calculations with transactions.  The bond stuff is a transaction not a calculation.  The miners are very restricted as to which calculations they're allowed to perform.

However, despite all these objections, I hope you realise something:  you've gone past the point of denying the system works outright and into questioning specific details.  This is GREAT,  I appreciate your feedback very much cause it is making me think about the system more--  till now it has been just a general idea that I've had for a few years and never put that much thought into it.
beeblebrox (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 11:45:33 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 06:22:39 PM by beeblebrox

No, every node doesn't need to know every other node.  Also, every miner doesn't need to know every other miner, in fact, it is better if none of the miners are aware who the other miners are to minimize collusion.

The determinism comes from the block-chain,  this is the only required infomation which must be common to all miners. It is trivial (I believe) to group the miners deterministically but effectively randomly using hashes based on a combination of the miners' own data such as a receiving address and the current state of the block chain and the alorgithms already run for the current block.  This is not much more of a burden than what happens already in bitcoin.

There is no information that need be kept indefinitely besides the block-chain.  The algorthims that were used can be removed from the separate p2p file system immediately after the algoritms calculation is complete.  The result itself can also be deleted from the p2p file system provided that the current nodes at the time have tested that its hash matches that claimed by the miners for a reasonable number of block confirmations.  The reason why even the result can be removed is because the block chain only needs a large amount of work for the previous blocks immediately behind the current block being solved.  eg: Once a malicious miner with less than 45% network power is behind 100 blocks it is too unlikely to catch up to the present, regardless how much work went into the blocks before the last 100.  So the system can ignore the blocks' algorithm calculation for the blocks before the last 100 (ie: the p2p file system deletes the result and the nodes don't bother comparing its hash to the miners claimed value) and just keeps the lesser hash rate component. eg: Let's say that the system strives to keep the algorithm work at about 95% and the hash at 5% of the total work, so before the last hundred blocks the amount of work required to rewrite the transaction drops to 5% of the total work that was done previously for a given block when the system ignores the algorithm work, so a malicious miner with 45% can easily gain ground on these transactions but will not be able to overcome the last 100 blocks.

The only information that need be permanately stored is the normal bitcoin block-chain stuff relating to transactions, none of the general algorithm stuff need be stored.

By-the-way: incase anyone is wondering, the reason why the miner's result hashes should be initiallly sealed by the owing mining is because the slowest miner shouldn't be allowed to see the result of the fastest miner before it has finished, otherwise the slowest miner could abandon its work and copy the faster miner's result  (which would be unfair to the fastest miner and also gives a false total-number-steps count).  However, the faster miner needs a way to prove that it did finish first with a valid result-- hence it seals its hash of the result, publicly broadcasts it and then unseals it once the slow miner has finished.

NOTE : have heavily edited this to make to read better.
pyra-proxy

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:04:10 PM

One thing that might make this easier on you in finding an answer to your problem is that 1 you don't have to have a block chain and 2 centralized sources can be utilized to feed a decentralized data processing machine.... in the latter example, you could bootstrap to the boinc network, world community grid and folding at home etc. Perhaps reward a small coin generate from any confirmed non-rejected results that are returned to those projects.  The trick then becomes how to verify the results are not a data forgery, ie. perhaps this is where the randomly assigned groups etc. come into play where the first entity registers a hash of their data on the network and when enough randomly assigned peers register the same hash then all are rewarded and transactions are processed.....  the only way I see a similar mechanic of difficulty working is by making assigned groups larger and requiring more validations to confirm......

Heck maybe sunny could weigh in on PoS... maybe the above model is just for initial generates and distributions plus being an optional alternative way to earn coin and then you could use PoS for transaction processing and ledger/block chain management etc.?  PoS should be 100% rewarding of tx fees etc. while the project processing and validation gets small generates whether your first or just a validator.

beeblebrox (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:16:19 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2013, 12:38:55 AM by beeblebrox

One thing that might make this easier on you in finding an answer to your problem is that 1 you don't have to have a block chain and 2 centralized sources can be utilized to feed a decentralized data processing machine.... in the latter example, you could bootstrap to the boinc network, world community grid and folding at home etc. Perhaps reward a small coin generate from any confirmed non-rejected results that are returned to those projects.  The trick then becomes how to verify the results are not a data forgery, ie. perhaps this is where the randomly assigned groups etc. come into play where the first entity registers a hash of their data on the network and when enough randomly assigned peers register the same hash then all are rewarded and transactions are processed.....  the only way I see a similar mechanic of difficulty working is by making assigned groups larger and requiring more validations to confirm......

I'm don't quite understand why you're saying that you don't need a block chain-- you still need one to process the transactions (if you mean that you don't need one for the algoritm calculation part then you're right-- I think).  By-the-way, I've never heard of BIONC project till now, have just had a quick read about it on wikipedia, it looks like an interesting project and could perhaps be useful (if not useful outright as is, then could be useful for tips/ideas in managing large distributed calculations)-- thanks for making me aware of it!

Heck maybe sunny could weigh in on PoS... maybe the above model is just for initial generates and distributions plus being an optional alternative way to earn coin and then you could use PoS for transaction processing and ledger/block chain management etc.?  PoS should be 100% rewarding of tx fees etc. while the project processing and validation gets small generates whether your first or just a validator.

I don't know much about the PoS  (do you mean proof-of-stake here?) generally, but I should look into it to think.  thanks.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: