Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:55:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A very simple blockchain explorer.  (Read 20133 times)
Newcoins2020

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 02:10:33 PM

Fantastic update, that's pretty cool. To save on some screen space, you could shorten that screen up or represent the transaction in the mempool screen by some kind of visual token or something like ▒▒.  

Thank you cloverme Smiley

I'm interested in your idea, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Is the idea to replace each Transaction ID with a symbol?

Yeah, on your page http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/1389/how-are-public-private-keys-in-an-address-created

Since it is just pages and pages of numbers, so it loses some contextual meaning. If you have a a symbol represent the number, it would shorten up the page and make it easier to look at. You could always tooltip the txid so that if you hovered the mouse over the block, the tx would appear or the other data you have on it. It's cool either way even if you leave it untouched.

The interface is too long, and making the page less high or show more. You could think of hiding the tx with this simple JS read more/less script:
http://code-tricks.com/jquery-read-more-less-example/

Integrating a modern design would be a nice addition to your site too:  https://freehtml5.co/page/3/

On a side note, your code is working excellent.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tobasco (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2016, 07:51:24 PM

Yeah, on your page http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/1389/how-are-public-private-keys-in-an-address-created

Since it is just pages and pages of numbers, so it loses some contextual meaning. If you have a a symbol represent the number, it would shorten up the page and make it easier to look at. You could always tooltip the txid so that if you hovered the mouse over the block, the tx would appear or the other data you have on it. It's cool either way even if you leave it untouched.

I think I understand your idea.

I like keeping pages short and using smart symbols (+ tooltips) where possible, but the problem with removing the TXIDs is that I'd lose the ability to find a transaction using the browser's CTRL+f  feature. Shorter pages are pleasant, but CTRL+f is proving to be too useful for me at the moment.

P.S. I think you may have pasted the wrong link (although nonetheless an interesting one Smiley )

tobasco (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2016, 08:03:25 PM

The interface is too long, and making the page less high or show more. You could think of hiding the tx with this simple JS read more/less script:
http://code-tricks.com/jquery-read-more-less-example/

It's certainly a long web page.

Where does this cause a problem? Or in other words, what does a shorter page help with?

From my point of view, the page loads quickly, and it's nice to get them straight away without any extra clicks. The scrolling hasn't hindered me.

Integrating a modern design would be a nice addition to your site too:  https://freehtml5.co/page/3/

Is there anything in particular about the current design that makes browsing the site difficult (that those templates solve)?

On a side note, your code is working excellent.

Thank you.

tobasco (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 06:49:43 PM

UPDATES:

1. Branches now show up in the blockchain.

For example:

http://learnmeabitcoin.com/explorer/blockchain/423366 <- Here you can see a block (grey outline) that was received after the block that is part of the main chain (nodes add whichever block they receive first on to the top of their chain). No node built on top of this block (grey outline), so nothing came of it. It was just a block that was succesfully mined but never made it in to the chain, because another block was built upon first.

http://learnmeabitcoin.com/explorer/blockchain/423443 <- Here you can see a block (red outline) that was received before the current main block in the chain, so at one time this block was considered part of the main chain, and so all the transactions inside were considered "confirmed". However, a block that was received after this block ended up getting built upon by other nodes in the network, so that other block took its place.

This second situation is interesting, because if a block gets moved out of the main chain, any transactions that aren't also included inside the block that replaces it will go back in to the memory pool so that they can be mined in to a later block. So this is where a transaction gets "confirmed", but then finds itself "de-confirmed" to a re-arrangement of the blockchain.

Therefore...

2. Highlighting transactions in blocks that go back in to the memory pool.

I have also highlighted the transactions in these blocks that end up re-entering the memory pool. Scroll down to the bottom of this block to see a bunch of them: http://learnmeabitcoin.com/explorer/block/0000000000000000013050DB42F93ED72D5DB1EEFB27629F53B3D744DC750B51

btc_enigma

Activity: 688
Merit: 565

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 11:58:27 AM

Like the branches showing up .

small suggestion

http://learnmeabitcoin.com/explorer/transaction/32a33d5436665ae5e239b616a50a1e1e02972cd75528dbb8bc023a9cc28f565f

Is there anyway the UI can better show tx input so as to stress that they are getting spent? Would be nice to graphically show the value of tx input
Also the grey and yellow color are confusing, as you know people as used to seeing red for tx input and green for output

jasonv75

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

I'm an artist, my paint is code

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2016, 08:48:23 AM

Thats actually really neat!

Any chance you going to open-source the explorer?

Jason

Veltor.
tobasco (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2016, 03:28:04 PM

Like the branches showing up .

small suggestion

http://learnmeabitcoin.com/explorer/transaction/32a33d5436665ae5e239b616a50a1e1e02972cd75528dbb8bc023a9cc28f565f

Is there anyway the UI can better show tx input so as to stress that they are getting spent? Would be nice to graphically show the value of tx input
Also the grey and yellow color are confusing, as you know people as used to seeing red for tx input and green for output

Do you have any ideas for stressing the fact that they are getting spent? I liked the idea of using grey (lack of colour) to try and convey that an output had been "used up", but I'm all for making the page clearer.

I agree that showing the tx value input would be good. I haven't done this yet because I haven't started storing the transactions in my own database. The transactions page uses direct bitcoin-cli queries at the moment, so going through every single input would slow the page down a lot. But yeah, that's no excuse... I just haven't got to that stage yet.

I wasn't sure what colour to use for the outputs initially, but settled on yellow because I thought it resembled gold (i.e. something valuable). I'll have a think about green.

The transaction page is my least favourite at the moment. It has got some way to go, so thanks for the ideas.

tobasco (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2016, 03:30:56 PM

Thats actually really neat!

Any chance you going to open-source the explorer?

Jason

Yes, that's the plan.

I've got some specific idea for how I want the explorer to work, so when I've done what I want to do my plan is to clear up the code and open source the whole thing.

dollarneed

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2016, 03:38:07 AM

Is there anything in particular about the current design that makes browsing the site difficult (that those templates solve)?

The site is working fine on me with current design and it's pretty fast, i personaly like simple design but it will be awesome if this integrate with modern design but it doesn't matter as long the site working properly and usefull i think no problem, anyways i love the guide to me it is quite understandable thanks for making the site
tobasco (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2016, 11:57:12 AM

Update:

Difficulty Page: http://learnmeabitcoin.com/explorer/node/difficulty/

You can now see how the difficulty changes over time based on the average time it takes for blocks to get mined during that period. It also shows the average time for blocks to be mined up to the current block, so you can anticipate whether the difficulty will go up or down at the next re-target.

tobasco (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2016, 12:00:26 PM

The site is working fine on me with current design and it's pretty fast, i personaly like simple design but it will be awesome if this integrate with modern design but it doesn't matter as long the site working properly and usefull i think no problem, anyways i love the guide to me it is quite understandable thanks for making the site

Thanks. My plan has always been to get the site loading as fast as possible with a clear design first, and then work on a fancy design when that's done. Happy to hear that the site is still workable in its current form, so thanks again.

Glad you like the guide  Smiley

tobasco (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2017, 01:14:29 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2017, 01:35:25 AM by tobasco

learnmebitcoin.com Blockchain Browser - New Version

Hey, spent some time improving the block explorer. Here's an overview:

• Node
    • Shows you how many transactions are in the memory pool, how many of those have been selected for inclusion in a candidate block, and the current difficulty (how hard it is to mine it on to the blockchain).

• Blockchain
    • View blocks in the blockchain at any part of the chain, along with each block's; size, number of transactions, and fees collected.
    • Example:  The first 10 blocks in the blockchain.
    • Tip: Entering a negative value in the height field will take you that many blocks from the top.

• Block
    • See the order of transactions in a block, along with the block header data.
    • Example:  The block of the last block reward halving.
    • Tip: Hovering over the "bits" field in the block header will show you the target value for the block (so you can see how much "under" this block's hash was).

Extras

• Memory Pool - See the latest transactions, and which ones have been selected for inclusion in a candidate block (hovering over a transaction tells you the fee per byte, which is the metric used to determine which transactions are selected).
  • Candidate Block - This is actually trying to be mined on to the blockchain. It refreshes every 20 seconds to include the transactions with the highest fees. (The lowest fee-per-byte transactions tend to be at the bottom of the block, so by hovering over the bottom one, you can work out the minimum fee-per-byte needed to be included in the next block in the blockchain.)

tobasco (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2017, 01:40:54 AM

Unspent transactions are now gold, whereas spent outputs are grey.

btc_enigma

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 05:50:21 AM

This is really awesome work. I really like the candidate block and memory pool

Candidate Block - This is actually trying to be mined on to the blockchain. It refreshes every 20 seconds to include the transactions with the highest fees. (The lowest fee-per-byte transactions tend to be at the bottom of the block, so by hovering over the bottom one, you can work out the minimum fee-per-byte needed to be included in the next block in the blockchain.)

Are the tx actually sorted by fee per bytes ? I see some of the transactions out of order. It would be good if you can display the fee per byte on the right (instead of the tooltip). Also please change unit of fee per byte to satoshis instead of BTC, its easier to read

I have also shared this on reddit to get more community feedback

btc_enigma

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 05:52:46 AM

Also please check the price. Your site is showing $1233.21. Too good to be true  Grin

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 06:11:35 AM

Candidate Block - This is actually trying to be mined on to the blockchain. It refreshes every 20 seconds to include the transactions with the highest fees. (The lowest fee-per-byte transactions tend to be at the bottom of the block, so by hovering over the bottom one, you can work out the minimum fee-per-byte needed to be included in the next block in the blockchain.)

Is this using Bitcoin Core's block creation code?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
tobasco (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2017, 10:37:57 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2017, 11:28:10 AM by tobasco

This is really awesome work. I really like the candidate block and memory pool

Are the tx actually sorted by fee per bytes ? I see some of the transactions out of order. It would be good if you can display the fee per byte on the right (instead of the tooltip). Also please change unit of fee per byte to satoshis instead of BTC, its easier to read

I have also shared this on reddit to get more community feedback

Thank you very much  Smiley.

The transactions are selected using the default getblocktemplate command using bitcoin core. As far as I'm aware, transactions are generally selected and ordered based on fee per byte. However, when you construct a block, you have to make sure that all transactions are in order... as in, if one transaction uses the outputs of another transaction, then that transaction must come after the one it depends on (in the candidate block). That's why the transactions are not strictly in highest-to-lowest fee-per-byte order, although that is the general trend.

I like the idea of showing the fee per byte on the right instead of in the tooltip, as that is relevant and a core part of how the candidate block works. Thank you.

Also, thanks for helping me to share the site.

tobasco (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2017, 10:40:06 AM

Also please check the price. Your site is showing $1233.21. Too good to be true  Grin

Haha, yeah, thanks. Added to my fix list.

I'm using the localbitcoins.com price API, but it can be wildly inaccurate on some currencies for some reason. Going to try bitcoinaverage instead.

tobasco (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2017, 10:40:54 AM

Is this using Bitcoin Core's block creation code?

Yes, it uses getblocktemplate to select the transactions.

btc_enigma

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 11:11:40 AM

The transactions are selected using the default getblocktemplate command using bitcoin core. As far as I'm aware, fees are generally selected and ordered based on fee per byte. However, when you construct a block, you have to make sure that all transactions are in order... as in, if one transaction uses the outputs of another transaction, then that transaction must come after the one it depends on (in the candidate block). That's why the transactions are not strictly in highest-to-lowest fee-per-byte order, although that is the general trend.

Thanks, make sense. Will be following the project updates.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: