Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 03:51:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me with this networking configuration.  (Read 775 times)
Nolo (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:54:14 AM

Upstairs:  Windows 8 x64 PC connected via ethernet cable to Linksys 54G WRT which is connected to cable modem.

Downstairs: 4 PCs all together side by side.  I have one wireless adapter.  All 4 of these PCs run Windows 7.  2 are 32 bit & 2 are 64 bit.  All 4 PCs have a single built in ethernet port on the motherboard. 

What do I need to get all 4 PCs downstairs to connect wirelessly to the internet through the Linksys 54G WRT upstairs?

I have tons of routers, switches, hubs, crossover cables, and ethernet cables.  What I am short on are wireless adapters and PCI ethernet cards.  I would prefer to set it up based on the hardware I have.  What would be the proper setup?

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:12:38 AM

You could use a wireless switch/hub,not a router,that wirelessly connects to the router,then the PC's connect via ethernet to the switch.If you can find one,I looked & found nothing...........

Or,wireless cards for each PC.Probably cheaper than a wireless switch/hub,if one exists............

Cards go for about $15-25 each,maybe less if you find them on sale  Wink

Don't know if one PC with connectivity via wireless card can distribute connectivity via ethernet to more than one PC,hmmmm.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Nolo (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:17:35 AM

You could use a wireless switch,not a router,that wirelessly connects to the router,then the PC's connect via ethernet to the switch.If you can find one,I looked & found nothing...........

Or,wireless cards for each PC.Probably cheaper than a wireless switch,if one exists............

Cards go for about $15-25 each,maybe less if you find them on sale  Wink

I have a switch, but it isn't wireless.  Currently I'm only running two of these PCs.  The setup I'm using for these two, is a crossover cable from PC1 to PC2, and PC2 has the wireless adapter in it.  I bridged the connections, and can get both on the internet that way.  But since PC 2 only has 1 ethernet port, I can only do that once.  I can't run PC3 to it for example. 

If I ran PC 1, 3, & 4 to the switch, and then a cable from the switch to PC 2, is there anyway all 4 PCs could use PC 2's wireless adapter?

I'm trying to be stubbornly efficient and not buy anymore hardware lol 

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:21:44 AM

You could use a wireless switch,not a router,that wirelessly connects to the router,then the PC's connect via ethernet to the switch.If you can find one,I looked & found nothing...........

Or,wireless cards for each PC.Probably cheaper than a wireless switch,if one exists............

I have a switch, but it isn't wireless.  Currently I'm only running two of these PCs.  The setup I'm using for these two, is a crossover cable from PC1 to PC2, and PC2 has the wireless adapter in it.  I bridged the connections, and can get both on the internet that way.  But since PC 2 only has 1 ethernet port, I can only do that once.  I can't run PC3 to it for example. 

If I ran PC 1, 3, & 4 to the switch, and then a cable from the switch to PC 2, is there anyway all 4 PCs could use PC 2's wireless adapter?

Good idea,try it & let us know if it works.Bandwidth may suffer,but you could have a connection at least  Cheesy

I have never had such a need nor any of my customers either,so holler back!!!!!!!!! Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Nolo (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:24:30 AM

Good idea,try it & let us know if it works.Bandwidth may suffer,but you could have a connection at least  Cheesy

I have never had such a need nor any of my customers either,so holler back!!!!!!!!! Wink

And I would just use standard ethernet cables to make those connections correct?  No need for crossover cables since I am using the switch?   

lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3666
Merit: 1484

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:25:06 AM

I bridged the connections,
Not sure how you bridged the connections,
but Internet Connection Sharing (ICS, activated on PC2) should do the trick.
Nolo (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:27:51 AM

I bridged the connections,
Not sure how you bridged the connections,
but Internet Connection Sharing (ICS, activated on PC2) should do the trick.

I started out using ICS, but I started having trouble with unidentified network issues and PC1 wouldn't connect to the "network" of PC2.  So I was playing around, and just figured out if I highlighted both the wireless and the lan adapters I could bridge them, and they both worked that way. 

lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3666
Merit: 1484

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:34:25 AM

I see.
If it works for PC1, it should work for 3+4 too if you just add the switch,
shouldn't really matter what cables you use, both, standard and crossover should do fine, the switch will take care of it.
Nolo (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:43:11 AM

Thanks guys.  Working perfectly running through the switch.  All PCs are now utilizing PC2's wireless adapter. 

firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:50:52 AM

Sorry for the late post - but any netgear router can be set to operate as a wireless access point... which has the side effect of turning the ethernet ports into a switch... SMC routers all have this same 'feature' as well.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: