Bitcoin Forum
October 24, 2017, 12:06:24 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.0.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: History never repeats, but it sure does rhyme..  (Read 798 times)
piecesofeight

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 04:44:37 PM

Well... Hello all.  I found out about bitcoins a day ago, and boy, am I kicking myself for not knowing about this a few months ago!

This 8bit thing, you all know where pirates "pieces of eight" came from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_%28money%29

In the U.S., the "bit" as a designation for money dates from the colonial period, when a common unit of currency was the Spanish milled dollar. As a way of making change, these dollars were cut into eight pie-slice shaped pieces which were called "bits". (For this reason, the whole coin was known as a "piece of eight.") Each eighth-dollar bit was then worth 12.5 cents, "two bits" was a quarter of a dollar (25 cents), "four bits" was a half-dollar (50 cents) and "six bits" was 75 cents. Because there was no one-bit coin, a dime (10 ¢) was sometimes called a short bit and 15¢ a long bit.

Bitcoin has a great and long future ahead of it.

Me heartys, I be needin' t' start me own doubloons mine, spaar a pence for an old man o'de sea?

1PF9jQserjdws3qWuDpYcTkCcafFgMHhD6

--I did try to place a link here to my first post, to explain my user name... but it was removed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:16:18 PM

Well... Hello all.  I found out about bitcoins a day ago, and boy, am I kicking myself for not knowing about this a few months ago!

This 8bit thing, you all know where pirates "pieces of eight" came from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_%28money%29

In the U.S., the "bit" as a designation for money dates from the colonial period, when a common unit of currency was the Spanish milled dollar. As a way of making change, these dollars were cut into eight pie-slice shaped pieces which were called "bits". (For this reason, the whole coin was known as a "piece of eight.") Each eighth-dollar bit was then worth 12.5 cents, "two bits" was a quarter of a dollar (25 cents), "four bits" was a half-dollar (50 cents) and "six bits" was 75 cents. Because there was no one-bit coin, a dime (10 ¢) was sometimes called a short bit and 15¢ a long bit.

Bitcoin has a great and long future ahead of it.

yes - i know about that.

and i really like the thought that went into your user name.  howdy, and welcome.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.