Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:57:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. Election Puts $1,000 Bitcoin Within Reach [nasdaq.com]  (Read 440 times)
biggbox (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2016, 10:05:56 PM

The lack of confidence in the current anaemic global economy is driving the current bull run?

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/us-election-puts-1000-bitcoin-within-reach-cm633058

U.S. Election Puts $1,000 Bitcoin Within Reach

By: Martin Tillier
Posted: 6/9/2016 12:53:00 PM
Referenced Stocks:
In my now bi-weekly look at Bitcoin I tend to focus on the news rather than the price. Bitcoin is a long-term challenge to banking and even money as we know it, and I have felt that progress in terms of recognition and understanding is more important than the vagaries of the market.

The price can take care of itself.

I last looked at price back in April, when I argued that the long term chart for BTC/USD was supportive of the bull case. At that time BTC/USD was trading at around $425, and is now around $576, about 35 percent higher, so I guess that worked out okay.  The recent consolidation above $500, though, prompts an interesting question, and one that many people thought would never again be asked, or at least not for a long time: Is BTC/USD above $1000 a possibility in the near future?

To many it may seem as if a nearly 100 percent increase in price is not something that is realistic in any foreseeable time, but it should be pointed out that the aforementioned 35 percent increase came over only a couple of months and that BTC/USD has doubled in the last eight months. In a volatile, new market such as Bitcoin extreme moves in short periods of time are distinctly possible; oversized reaction to news and events is par for the course, and the next few months certainly promise to provide some stimuli.

First and foremost, the U.S. is entering an election season that, bar some extraordinary intervention, promises to be historic, but not just because a woman is running as the candidate for a major party for the first time. It is because the level of dislike and distrust for both candidates is at an all time high.

As a Snapchat story shown to me by my teenage daughter yesterday put it, America is embarking on the biggest game of “Would you rather...” ever. It may be that as that campaign develops, the attitude to both candidates will change as they show us the serious, fair-minded, policy driven sides of their character.

Seriously, that could happen.

Far more likely, though, is that as the campaign gets down and dirty, public disillusion will increase and an atmosphere of uncertainty will take hold. In normal circumstances that would not be beneficial to a market such as Bitcoin with a history of volatility and a reputation for extreme risk, but these are not normal circumstances. The candidate for the Republicans, who usually have a strong accent on fiscal and monetary constraint, is on record as saying that sovereign debt can be “renegotiated” and isn’t a problem if you control the printing presses.

Any repeat of that kind of language from Trump as the election approaches, or even constant repetition of his words by the Democrats, could have a lot of people worried about the future value of the currency in their pockets, and not just in the U.S. The dollar’s role as a reserve currency makes excessive dollar supply an inflationary force for the whole world. Gold would be one obvious beneficiary in that situation but the portability and spendability of Bitcoin would make that an attractive option for many people.

Belief in economic growth and strength around the world is already fragile after the OECD recently became the latest international group to downgrade global GDP growth forecasts and to warn of a “growth trap.” In that atmosphere many would normally look to the U.S. for leadership, but with two massively unpopular candidates fighting a heated election battle there is not likely to be much of that on display over the next few months.

Given all of that, BTC/USD at $1000 doesn’t look quite so far away.

1Cr9iLWm2dSGH8259VQd2wDzpkR63jGVjW
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4485

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 10:19:58 PM

the price movements started due to china.. as proven by the price charts, if you look at which exchanges moved/spiked first..

basically its the CNY thats increasing due to "events"/decisions in china.. and the western exchanges are reacting to chinese movements.

the only thing that could possibly link the CNY movements to possible american reasons. is if china (large holder of american bonds(debt)) are worried that trump will file bankruptcy to make them bonds valueless. and thus now the chinese are grabbing other "assets" to offset losses..
but that is a very weak link, ad i mean very weak link because the CNY bitcoin market is not really part of the investment bond institutions portfolio

a better link is that the chinise mining pools are worried about the bitcoin halving and doing some arbitraging to swing the price in a positive direction to make the CNY price higher to offset BTC losses after the having. purely to continue to end up with a similar CNY income.

and as i said . america are not reacting due to election crap. they are just sheep following the price that CNY is currently setting

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 10:21:31 PM

There's a thread on speculation about this (I think it was moved from here to there...). My opinion is still pretty much the same Smiley
402blownstroker

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 10:22:04 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2016, 05:14:51 AM by 402blownstroker

I think this has a lot more to do with other nations' fiscal policies than it does with the USA.)
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 11:43:53 PM

I think the China factor is still the driving force, very likely due to the thought of quick profit after halving. Other factors such as Brexit, US election etc are not really driving the price of bitcoin.
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 12:01:08 AM

i think you are looking to BTC as being a real economy and not what it really is. Smiley

the exchangers are manipulating the price as they want. period. yes, China "owns" Bitcoin and you can see that now. Their miners said "we want a higher price because the shit halving is coming" and it was done.

what US election do you dream? LOL   BTC has nothing to do with these things.  BTC is pure speculative and a bunch of shit exchangers are making the market. if you want to live in an illusion, go ahead  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: