Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:51:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating a vault on CD  (Read 906 times)
highspeedlanding (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:04:58 PM

I was thinking of creating an empty wallet, recording it on CD, and removing it from my computer. Any bitcoins I want to save and don't intend to spend, I can just send to that wallet. If my computer ever gets hacked, that wallet will be safe.

If I every want to access that wallet, I can just copy it to a computer, it will update with all the money that has been transfered to it, and I am set.

Does that seem right, or am I missing a technical detail. If I send any money out of that wallet, do I need to re-record that wallet to disk, or can I just keep using the original wallet file.
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:47:25 PM

Any data you care about, you should have at least 3 copies.
Apart from the above, your plan might have a slight catch. CDs and DVDs fail more often than you might think. If you leave your wallet on it for couple of years, you might find your CD/DVD blank.
Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:26:28 PM

anything degrade noticeable quick, to [seriously]rely on one back-up.

p.s.
tip: invest in RRAM/MRAM/FRAM manufacturers shares.
in few months/years its become new boom, become faster than ram, less volatile than flash[and more durable], less power consuming than DRAM and more dense than it, operating[theoretically]up to 120x times faster than present DRAM does.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: