Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:42:57 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Graded or Ungraded  (Read 432 times)
steelboy (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 08:15:11 AM

Is it really worth getting coins graded? How much of a difference would it make on a 1BTC brass, 5BTC nickel 1BTC silver and a 25BTC? Is the only place to do it in the US?

Ta
chronicsky
Legendary

Activity: 2800
Merit: 1222

Just looking for peace

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 08:17:14 AM

It does matter but mostly if you get Higher Grade - so the better condition the coin in , the better the grade..

There are mostly grading companies in most countries but ANACS is preferred by most here...

I haven't got any graded myself so wait for some better answers Wink
ezeminer
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1118

Lie down. Have a cookie

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 10:03:17 AM

On a Silver single you could expect upwards of 3 to 4 on a ms70 compared to like 2.5 to 3 on an ms 69.

miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 10:09:40 AM

Ah you found the section  Wink

Grades don't matter too much for high denomination coins it seems. A ms69 vs an ms63 for a 25BTC would bring in roughly the same. But it may make a difference for lower denominations.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 10:49:31 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2016, 12:31:27 PM by TookDk

The old Casascius brass are hard to find in good shape. Back in 2011 was Casascius coins not really collectibles yet - and bitcoin was only worth a few dollars, so these was carried around in pockets and passed around. Not too many of them was kept in mint condition, this is one of the reason why there are not many old high grade brass in circulation.
If you have an old Casascius brass coin and it is in pristine condition then would it be worth grading it for sure.

Edit:
This post pretty much sums up Casascius premium value back in 2012:

Theres a day in my life Ill never forget.

I had a roll of 60x 2011 error coins, back in 2012. This was back when Bitcoin was around $13.

These coins were literally hanging around our office, on everyones desks, we'd give them away, throw them around, whatever

We were moving offices and for some reason I peeled off the hologram of EVERY coin and redeemed the private keys I dont know why I did it. I may have been in a mood to condense my Bitcoin into 1 spot and I literally sat there for two goddam hours redeeming those coins.

I felt so satisfied after, like 'Yes, now my Bitcoin is all in a wallet together'

FML

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 12:00:52 PM

Agree fully with both Miff and Took

25's are a hard sell graded or ungraded. Potential (minimal) gain versus risks in transit backwards and forwards to ANACS in the US probably isnt worth it
10 BTCs as they are silver are worth grading, if in good condition, despite the high value.
5 BTCs and below its worth grading coins that are in a great condition (to grade high), or are super rare (to verify and protect)

There is a UK grading service, CGS (coin grading services), and they are good at what they do, and very professional, but folks round here are used to ANACS. CGS are a harder sell, and so provide less premiums for the equivalent grades. They are IMO more consistent than ANACS, but ANACS is the yardstick that allows coins to be easily compared. (But you should always judge the coin, not just the grade)

I regularly have grading batches going to ANACS. Happy to add coins of yours into a batch if you wish. I can offer a small discount over ANACS listed fees, and it also helps share shipping costs for all coin holders in the batch, of approx 40 - 55 coins (as we get stung more than the US guys do on shipping). I can give you a few (many) names to PM who I have done this for before, if you want references. I will get the next batch going in early July I think. Equally, if you go alone, I can offer help with the forms etc, as I have now submitted around a dozen batches, and it must be 500+ coins now, plus with pictures I can offer opinion on likely grades. Just PM me if you need a hand.

I would also recommend the $3 per coin imaging service at ANACS. Down the line, if these coins are ever faked (and you assume the ANACS slabs are also faked), this gives a high res timestamped image of the REAL coin, rather than a fake. Plus the images help you sell quicker, while the coins are on their way back to you
steelboy (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 12:43:18 PM

Thanks all

Monkey nuts, how long does it take and how much does it cost then to grade with ANACS.

Let's say i wanted to grade 50 coins from 0.5 - 10 BTC
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 01:16:58 PM

Thanks all

Monkey nuts, how long does it take and how much does it cost then to grade with ANACS.

Let's say i wanted to grade 50 coins from 0.5 - 10 BTC

Interested in the 10s if you are selling  Wink

Pretty much all Casascius coins are worth grading. Monkeynuts would be worth talking to about shipping to ANACS from over seas.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: