Bitcoin Forum
June 05, 2024, 10:45:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardfork - Bitcoin Core i Classic - my question  (Read 525 times)
yyyrek (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 02:42:04 PM

Hello. I would like to ask about a hardfork. I own few Bitcoins. I use Core client. And I was wondering whether I will still be able to use my coins, if a hardfork occures. For example, if the Classic version will be the leading one, meaning that 51% of the network have accepted and switched to it, will I then lose my Bitcoins from the Core version? Or will I rather be able to copy my wallet file from Core version to Classic and still use all my resources? Also, once the wallet file is replaced and my Bitcoins are compatibile with Classic version, are all funds from Core version gone/unusable?

Thx!
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 02:44:25 PM

No Bitcoins are lost, that's why it's called a "fork".
Think that it's just that the blockhain will follow a new route(using Classic mining instead of the actual one).

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4382
Merit: 3061

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 03:03:10 PM

Think that it's just that the blockhain will follow a new route(using Classic mining instead of the actual one).
Misleading advice from a sig spammer, who'd have guessed? Roll Eyes

will I then lose my Bitcoins from the Core version?
No. Coins mined before the fork can be spent on both chains (which, incidentally, allows double-spending, which is one of the main reasons why anyone who knows anything is totally opposed to hard forks except where absolutely necessary). Coins mined after the fork are only can only be spent on the chain on which they were mined.

Or will I rather be able to copy my wallet file from Core version to Classic and still use all my resources?
Yes.

Also, once the wallet file is replaced and my Bitcoins are compatibile with Classic version, are all funds from Core version gone/unusable?
As long as coins are not double-spent as explained above, you can spend coins from either wallet.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 10:56:42 AM

And what's so wrong in what I said that you didn't said Lord of the Truth?
And I'm far from a spammer, take your complaints to those ho have 10k+ posts with less than 1k activity.
I barely answer this forum since there's little to none topics that will ever be useful to anyone.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 11:49:29 AM

The old coins will still be spendable if the hardfork happened. The only potential issue is that those transactions during the hardfork may not be included in the longest chain and may become invalid (and disappear?)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4242
Merit: 4509

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 11:54:52 AM

will I then lose my Bitcoins from the Core version?
No. Coins mined before the fork can be spent on both chains (which, incidentally, allows double-spending, which is one of the main reasons why anyone who knows anything is totally opposed to hard forks except where absolutely necessary). Coins mined after the fork are only can only be spent on the chain on which they were mined.

Or will I rather be able to copy my wallet file from Core version to Classic and still use all my resources?
Yes.

Also, once the wallet file is replaced and my Bitcoins are compatibile with Classic version, are all funds from Core version gone/unusable?
As long as coins are not double-spent as explained above, you can spend coins from either wallet.

you forgot to add the point that based on pools adding new blocks, only one chain will survive based on which rules accept which blocks to make one chain the longest.
stop thinking that it will cause 2 forks that would continue forever.. consensus and rules orphan off blocks that dont fit the network
afterall if the network was to let "weird" blocks continue.. we would be having 2 new chains created each day
in short the network sorts itself out and we all follow the more popular chain (spoken in laymens terms)

in such events exchanges and other merchants wont accept transactions with zero-6confirms. but would wait maybe 10-20 confirms to cover the orphan risk that would increase.
if your transaction happens to be on the evential orphan blocks. then the result is as if the transaction never happened and the funds are still on your private key

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: