Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:27:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Passphrase  (Read 581 times)
Powerplant (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 06:03:15 PM

Hi everyone,

So i have my bitcoins a while now (2013) in combination with armory.
i made a paper back up and putted it on my NAS in a encrypted folder but for some reason i lost this folder on my NAS.
Now i have an encrypted wallet and i can't remember my passphrase.

Is there any way to brute force it ? it says it should take 0.223 secs unlock time.

Or can anyone tell me what the name of a paper back up should be (or what extension) so i can have another look on my NAS.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6653

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 06:05:26 PM

Hi everyone,

i made a paper back up and putted it on my NAS in a encrypted folder but for some reason i lost this folder on my NAS.

Is there any way to brute force it ? it says it should take 0.223 secs unlock time
You can brute force it but it is going to take you a very long time. Without any idea of what your password is, you pretty much have no chance of guessing the password. Even though 0.223 seconds seems like its really fast, in computer terms, that is a ridiculously huge amount of time, especially when you want to brute force something in as little time as possible.

Powerplant (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 06:09:18 PM

Hi everyone,

Is there any way to brute force it ? it says it should take 0.223 secs unlock time
You can brute force it but it is going to take you a very long time. Without any idea of what your password is, you pretty much have no chance of guessing the password. Even though 0.223 seconds seems like its really fast, in computer terms, that is a ridiculously huge amount of time, especially when you want to brute force something in as little time as possible.

I think i know what i used for the password tho. how am i able to brute force it?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 06:14:04 PM

I think i know what i used for the password tho. how am i able to brute force it?
Then try the password and see if it works.

If you want to brute force it, check out this software: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 06:16:02 PM

Didn't someone come up with command line tool for doing this? Possibly I'm remembering that wrong. See knightdk's post above for such a tool

Bear in mind that brute forcing takes resources, essentially electricity. If you're going to run up a huge electricity bill spent on weeks of constant brute forcing, you might want to consider what the BTC itself is valued at in comparison to the potential bill (now or in the future).

Vires in numeris
Powerplant (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 06:16:44 PM

I already tried .. its more that i know sort of what i used as password.

but what is the extension name of a paper backup ? is that a .dat ?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 06:19:18 PM

I already tried .. its more that i know sort of what i used as password.

but what is the extension name of a paper backup ? is that a .dat ?
Armory wallet files are .wallet

A paper backup is supposed to be printed, not saved somewhere on the computer. The file extension is then whatever you saved that backup as. Also, paper backups aren't encrypted.

Powerplant (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 06:30:35 PM

Thank god i found my paper backup Smiley.

So its already solved Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: