Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:06:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are secp256k1 library questions appropriate here, or doomed to be buried in alts  (Read 626 times)
jl777 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 07:14:21 PM

I asked a question about schnorr sigs that is in the libsecp256k1 library that is in bitcoin
I have seen other posts about schnorr sigs in the bitcoin technical section
In my experience, alt coin devs dont know anywhere near as much as bitcoin devs

So, I wanted to ask for help in how to use the schnorr sigs here. but it was buried in the altcoins section

Hopefully it is not inappropriate to ask whether I can use a combined pubkey using the combine pubkey function in the mainstream libsecp256k1 library that is in bitcoin, to create a bitcoin transaction for the bitcoin network.

notice this is about bitcoin.

I know I can use the schnorr function to validate a combined signature, but I dont think that would work in a bitcoin script, so I was trying to get a combined signature indirectly that can be verified with the existing bitcoin network

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 07:27:30 PM

It should be fine to ask them here, but given the lack of Bitcoin developers on this forum, you probably won't get any decent answers. Try asking on the bitcoin-dev mailing list or on the #bitcoin-dev irc channel.

jl777 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 07:39:10 PM

It should be fine to ask them here, but given the lack of Bitcoin developers on this forum, you probably won't get any decent answers. Try asking on the bitcoin-dev mailing list or on the #bitcoin-dev irc channel.

no bitcoin devs here?

i didnt realize that. I usually get decent answers here, unless it is buried in the altcoin section. I asked how schnorr sigs could be used to save space and do large MofN multisig. Based on the feedback I got, it seemed that it wouldnt save space, so I was hoping to find the way to make use of the schnorr library

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 08:01:10 PM

no bitcoin devs here?
Not that many, and certainly very few that understand this sort of crypto. Of the Core Devs who are here, we only have gmaxwell occasionally and maybe luke-jr. Since you are asking about the schnorr signatures, I think it would be best to ask on the #bitcoin-dev irc channel where there actually is discussion, or at the very least, paid attention to by developers, unlike this forum.

Edit: for stuff on schnorr sigs, I don't think anything "official" has been done yet, it's all experimental. You may want to take a look through the changes here: https://github.com/bitcoin-core/secp256k1/pull/212 which introduced schnorr sigs to libsecp256k1.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: