Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 05:06:17 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: restored wallet from backup - times differ  (Read 466 times)
CloudySkies (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 08:25:28 AM

I recently restore my wallet.dat from a backup since my current one appeared to be corrupted (or at least, it kept causing Bitcoin-Qt to crash).  That worked, and all my Bitcoins are still there, phew! Tongue
One thing I noticed though is that the transaction times are slightly different, usually a few minutes later than in my original wallet.  Can anyone tell me why?  I'm assuming it's something to do with the way the Blockchain works, but I couldn't find any info on this.
Thanks in advance...
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 10:05:50 AM

The wallet.dat file stores (among other metadata) the actual time each transaction was made, and this metadata will naturally not be present for transactions made after the backup (discovered during a rescan of the blockchain). For such transactions, the time displayed will be the timestamp of the block it was included in, which will generally be several minutes later.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
CloudySkies (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 03:54:18 PM

That makes total sense.  Thanks for the explanation, Foxpup!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: