Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:22:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie question - buy/sell diff  (Read 1407 times)
BlueStackz
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 06:03:40 AM

The fee is the same in all cases - 2%. It doesn't make up the difference between some coins. Coin A buy is .000035, sell is .000033; Coin B buy is .0000035, sell is .000012

I can see that this may be because Coin B is almost dead - supply and demand. I'm just trying to learn.
The fees is 0.2 percent on yobit, and the other point is that the difference is not because one of the coin is dead but it is because people want to buy them on that price and there are some people who want to buy at lower price.
SatHunter (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 02:23:07 PM

So people pump a coin to increase the buy price- what do we do to increase the sell price?
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 07:12:43 PM

So people pump a coin to increase the buy price- what do we do to increase the sell price?

The exchange relies on the # of buy orders that come in, to promote different emotions to people.

Most can relate to fear because its what we fear on missing out on - so hence people jumping on last minute which can push the price increase further.

Thats basically all youre looking for and being aware of these situations as a trader.
JarBinks

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 08:08:28 PM

The exchange relies on the # of buy orders that come in, to promote different emotions to people.

Most can relate to fear because its what we fear on missing out on - so hence people jumping on last minute which can push the price increase further.

Thats basically all youre looking for and being aware of these situations as a trader.

Emotion in trading = potentially bad decision.

The difference between the bid and ask is called the spread and they are there to stimulate a free market.
  (What is someone willing to buy the coin for is the bid, what someone is willing to sell the coin for is the ask.)
  (The order book, all those lines under each side of the trading screen, shows the supply(ask) and demand (bid).)

Why is there a big, or small, spread? What will the spread be tomorrow? How high will it go? These are called speculation (I.E. how to make the best possible guess)
For me trading is all about the numbers, I concentrate on those, they are exact, they are real and they never lie.

The mechanics of trading coin is not very different from trading stocks, there are lots of resources on stock trading so don't forget to include those in your research.
dearbesz1219

Activity: 924
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 05:45:05 AM

stupid question, probably. On YoBit, sometimes there is a small difference between the 'buy' and the 'sell' price, and sometimes there is a huge diff between them.

I don't understand what drives the difference between the 'buy' and the 'sell' price.  I can see the sell orders, and when one of them is used up, the price increases a little bit. Why don't the buy orders match? ie if the buy price goes up by 2 sats, why doesn't the sell price goes up 2 sats?

trading for dummies 101?

A part of that difference is a fee that the exchange platform gets.

In every currency market there is a difference between "buy" and "sell" price.

Usually the "Sell" price is higher because of that fee.

I am pretty sure the fee is not factored into the price.
It gets deducted from the amount you are willing to trade, so if you commit .01 BTC to a trade and the fee is .2%, then you actually buy .00998 worth.
Now that is not to say when people set their buy or sell price they do not consider the fee and set a slightly different price.
I agree with the premise of the comment and that is "Pay attention to the fees"

meaning all exchange platform gets their profit in every the transaction fee, then no more...??
bitcoinisfurture

Activity: 700

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 06:34:05 AM

Generally it is the demand and supply that drives the price. But sometimes it also depend upon the need of the buyer or seller. If the need is urgent than buyer will buy at high price and seller will sell at low price as well.
JarBinks

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 01:57:23 PM

stupid question, probably. On YoBit, sometimes there is a small difference between the 'buy' and the 'sell' price, and sometimes there is a huge diff between them.

I don't understand what drives the difference between the 'buy' and the 'sell' price.  I can see the sell orders, and when one of them is used up, the price increases a little bit. Why don't the buy orders match? ie if the buy price goes up by 2 sats, why doesn't the sell price goes up 2 sats?

trading for dummies 101?

A part of that difference is a fee that the exchange platform gets.

In every currency market there is a difference between "buy" and "sell" price.

Usually the "Sell" price is higher because of that fee.

I am pretty sure the fee is not factored into the price.
It gets deducted from the amount you are willing to trade, so if you commit .01 BTC to a trade and the fee is .2%, then you actually buy .00998 worth.
Now that is not to say when people set their buy or sell price they do not consider the fee and set a slightly different price.
I agree with the premise of the comment and that is "Pay attention to the fees"

meaning all exchange platform gets their profit in every the transaction fee, then no more...??

In general that is correct.
The publicly stated way the exchanges make coin are through 2 fees, a per trade fee, for yobit that is generally 0.2%, and a withdraw fee, which usually varies by coin.
If you leave your coin in the exchange and just retrade or hold them, you do not incur a withdraw fee.
Each exchange has a little different policy and fee structure that you should take into account when using it.

Now I can tell you there are horror stories about what some exchanges are really doing with our coin. (Search on MtGox and Cyrptsy)
  The lesson learned form this stories...You should not hold all of your coin in any one exchange.
freebitcoins4u

Activity: 798

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 07:05:22 AM

the buyers are waiting for the price to do down to their level and than they will buy it.. but if the price keep going up eventually some buyers will pay more and the price will continue to climb
Nouelle-Hunter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 07:49:05 AM

actually selling has a higher fee or a fee because thats where they get funds and that is the way how they get income on trading ..Im reffering to the trading site

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2016, 04:54:12 PM

If I have understood this question right, you mean that buy price and sell price movements have a difference and they do not move with a particular relation.

Then I would like to share my two cents as I am trading on yobit since last few months. See buy orders or sell orders are not created by yobit, those are created by traders.  

If there are two traders A & B and they are creating buy and sell orders, they can set any price they wish for example,

A can set Sell order at 1,000 Sat and B wants that coin but at a lower price then B creates Buy order on the same coin at 800 Sat.

If you have that coin then you will see B’s order at 800 Sat if you are looking to sell and if you want to buy more coins then you will see A’s order at 1,000 Sat.

I hope it will make the picture clear for you, good luck.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: