Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:52:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of supposedly free country...  (Read 1568 times)
Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 06:18:34 PM

What kind of supposedly free country has you recite a pledge of allegiance? I never understood it and I've long since stopped reciting it when called for. If you are truly free, should you not have any obligation other than to the right to yourself and what you choose to value?

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America...."

Why? Why the hell am I swearing my life upon a freaking piece of fabric?

"...and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God..."

Alright, the republic stands for me and I should trust it when it comes to my life. Alright, under God? Okay, fair enough. I guess this imaginary being knows what's best for me too.

"...indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

ಠ_ಠ Didn't you just have me swear my life upon a bunch of things that are supposedly above me? Where is the liberty in this?

I swear, this is the biggest cause of double-think that has ever approached me. Do yourself a favor: don't bother with this doctrine.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lynzoi

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 09:57:05 PM

Is your avatar a picture of Norman Bates? Funny how without the eyes it looks so much less crazy.

Anyway, the way I remember it, nobody at school was forced to recite the pledge of allegiance. We were expected to be quiet and stand up, but nobody forced us to say the words. Most kids did it anyway.

I liked the pledge of allegiance. It was a nice ritual. I'm not a fan of what the ritual stands for, but it's a somewhat less depressing to begin a day that inevitably will be depressing and stupid because it's a school day.

1HX4zSn3yQpVH3v9Sv5TNwMqbfXoBbMuNf
nostrum

Activity: 65

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 10:16:46 AM

What kind of supposedly free country has you recite a pledge of allegiance? I never understood it and I've long since stopped reciting it when called for. If you are truly free, should you not have any obligation other than to the right to yourself and what you choose to value?

Alright, the republic stands for me and I should trust it when it comes to my life. Alright, under God? Okay, fair enough. I guess this imaginary being knows what's best for me too.

ಠ_ಠ Didn't you just have me swear my life upon a bunch of things that are supposedly above me? Where is the liberty in this?

I swear, this is the biggest cause of double-think that has ever approached me. Do yourself a favor: don't bother with this doctrine.

Its a part of one of the most efficient and publicly accepted mass brainwashing methods in modern history.
Hypocrisy is one of the trademarks of irrational dogmas and organized superstition. How much more hypocritical can it get when the pledge itself in a mandatory form is in most cases are unconstitutional?

Did you know people had to do the nazi-salute (earlier known as the Bellamy salute) up until 1942?

If you always think in categories you will miss the bigger picture.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Public GPG: 04351826
Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 01:28:25 PM

depend prefered meaning of "freedom"
sick rich alien fucks prefer UAE, Singapore, Swiss, usually.
mobsters pick Somalia, Colombia, Mexico, Turkey.
for IT addicts other countries.
TheGer

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:04:51 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2011, 02:21:17 AM by TheGer

You know with all the nit picking on the PoA, the truely sad part is that if the majority of Americans stood by the Pledge and stood up for the Republic, then America wouldn't be the back asswords Police State it is now yeah?

The worlds elite with the aid of the Federal Govt. have bred true patriotism out of America and substituted it with Football and Reality TV.  Add Flouride in the water to make them all docile(just like the Nazi's) and you can tell them anything and they will believe it as long as it's on TV.

rainingbitcoins

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:47:09 PM

How much more hypocritical can it get when the pledge itself in a mandatory form is in most cases are unconstitutional?

I'm not going to say the Pledge isn't creepy (it is), but forcing people to say the pledge is, indeed, unconstitutional as ruled by the Supreme Court in 1943: http://laws.findlaw.com/us/319/624.html

They can't punish you if you don't recite it.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
nostrum

Activity: 65

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:34:27 PM

Yet they do... and if not by the government the society will take care of it.

If you always think in categories you will miss the bigger picture.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Public GPG: 04351826
Stardust

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 08:35:08 AM

+1
TheSocialHermit

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 09:30:58 PM

Alright so I will respect everyone's right to choose if you want to recite the Pledge or not. That is what America is SUPPOSED to be about! Choice and freedom! I have had ingrained into me that when I say that Pledge, I say it not for what the country IS right now but what this country stands for. This a country where anything and everything is possible through hard work. You want to be president? Get off your ass and work for it. You want to make a company that pulls in over a billion dollars a year? Start working on it and dedicate your life to it. You can be and do anything you can think of in this country. America has lost most of what it once stood for but I will keep saying that Pledge not for a country that may seem to have gone to shit but to a country that is the epitome of freedom.
Capitan

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:07:44 AM

You are just fighting against human nature if you take issue with that. I hate that type of "join us or be outcast/against us" mentality too, but that is pretty much how mankind works in groups. Social networks act as gangs, and people like to beat up on those who don't conforum. People of lower intelligence especially seem fond of doing this.
AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 01:48:27 AM

Free market forces.  Deal with it.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
LokeRundt

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:47:37 AM

Thanks AyeYo, always obliging when I feel the need for a good kneeslap.

"Free market forces", loldude.

Hippy Anarchy
*shrug*
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: