Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:31:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Smooth a Hypocrite ?  (Read 5096 times)
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 03:00:51 AM

Who passed away amongst Monero core devs? You had a dev older than me?

warptangent was a talented coder and active Monero developer but not "core team" member and certainly not a forum personality (I think he may have posted once or twice). I'm pretty sure he was younger than you. Out of respect for his family's privacy I would rather not go into further details about his death (and I also don't know that much)

Announcement was here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4c9wh8/a_fond_goodbye_to_our_friend_and_contributor/

He and I shared the affliction of illness, but apparently his was sudden decline and mine chronic.

I don't use a DB in my coin design, as that is horrible for performance.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 03:05:46 AM

Who passed away amongst Monero core devs? You had a dev older than me?

warptangent was a talented coder and active Monero developer but not "core team" member and certainly not a forum personality (I think he may have posted once or twice). I'm pretty sure he was younger than you. Out of respect for his family's privacy I would rather not go into further details about his death (and I also don't know that much)

Announcement was here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4c9wh8/a_fond_goodbye_to_our_friend_and_contributor/

He and I shared the affliction of illness, but apparently his was sudden decline and mine chronic.

I don't use a DB in my coin design, as that is horrible for performance.

That is reasonable but if if you are going to use a DB, LMDB is about as lightweight as it comes because it uses memory mapping and access to hot data is as fast as regular memory. Of course, much rests on knowing how to use it properly, and although the Monero implementation is getting better, that part is unfortunately still not optimal.

I suppose I should also count Howard Chu, the developer of LMDB, as a premier level Monero coder. I didn't think of him because he is relative newcomer and I also haven't personally reviewed his code (other than a few small commits, but I couldn't get much from that). But his accomplishments with LMDB, LDAP and other projects speak for themselves. He prefers to code in C, not C++.

iamnotback

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 04:28:30 PM

To make some amends for my melodrama about Monero upthread (sincere feeling but still overly dramatic like a bitcher, sorry), I want to close out with my objective being to try to convince smooth to be an anarchist:

Btw, you did predict the likelihood of technical failure.

It is part of the game, but its not good for crypto.

Not to get in a heated argument, but I respectfully disagree.

I explained why I think that by not allowing experimentation and failure, you actually will never succeed. Most people don't understand how knowledge is created:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1513252.msg15236118#msg15236118

Here are some more posts which expound:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1513252.msg15234366#msg15234366
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1513252.msg15235684#msg15235684
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1513252.msg15237291#msg15237291
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1513252.msg15234109#msg15234109
abitmore

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 12:19:55 AM

I am just a tad bit jaded also because he knows I am working on JAMBOX a decentralized social networking and then he goes and throws his efforts to promote Steemit. And especially after he had basically talked me out of thinking that Bitshares might be a credible team to partner with. I had in 2015 thought about maybe my best direction was to start talking with Bitshares and in fact I did make one post over there offering to implement my Zero Knowledge Transactions for them. But that is okay. I love the competition. Gives me even more motivation.

Ya know if anonymity was really the #1 market, I would have built a coin on my Zero Knowledge Transactions. But I realized it wasn't the good priority. There is no significant adoption, so it ends up just being a fist fight between the various camps, because no camp can really go gain an adoption market to make it clear which one is the winner.

@iamnotback I think Dan and the team will be more than happy if your Zero Knowledge Transactions could be implemented in Steem. Looks like Steem now has enough funding, so you can get what you want if the work is well done. Thoughts?
iamnotback

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 12:02:03 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2016, 12:58:39 AM by iamnotback

New development in this story that I did not anticipate:

Smooth seems to have found a way to game the system

Look at his balance https://steemit.com/@smooth/transfers

He already owns $ 5 Millions at today's market price. Insane.

He acquired nearly 1% back during the "sneaky mine" phase. You can understand why he wasn't willing to attack this coin the way he normally attacks pump and dump scams. That $millions bought his "I am not omniscient about the potential future not being a disaster" attitude.

Btw, smooth is cashing out roughly $50,000 per week. (assuming your $5m valuation of his SP is correct)

Is that a meritocracy  Huh

You can see why he would have an incentive to not speak about how it will be a disaster for those who invest in SP now (requires a 2 year lock up cashed out over 104 weeks), while he is cashing out every week. Chaching. Fools please buy Steemit and give your money to smooth.

You are turning the s/w industry into lies and scams. I want nothing to do with you if you are going to on the one hand be so dogmatic even leading me entirely away from doing what Dan has done (I originally was talking ICOs and no no no don't you dare do anything but PoW distribution). I had more respect for you than this, that at least some consistency of your position.

I don't have a problem with Dan doing this. Everyone should be free. I just have a problem with feeling like I been jerked around, some people telling me to be idealistic, then telling me as long as you build adoption through lying to people's emotions, then that is positive.

I don't feel there is any consistency of anything. Everyone should do what ever in the hell they want.

Steemit is taking money from new investors and redistributing it to those with the most rep power. And fooling bloggers to join by hyping payouts most of them will never receive. That doesn't sound to me like building a good long-term business model.

Bernie Madoff must be proud.

Smooth never bribed me and in fact he helped me and I am grateful, but I did put a lot of weight into his opinions:

smooth may I ask what is the incentive for you to promote steem? Are you now affiliated with the Larimers?

]It is bizarre given when we first spoke about the state-of-altcoins some many moons ago in 2015, and I had stated that maybe Bitshares and Dan Larimer were credible and you tried to convince me that their mcap was all manipulation and to discourage me from taking them seriously.

Now suddenly you jump on their boat and I've noted you stated some where you were able to mine 1+% of the coins during the stealth mining phase.

I respected you and followed your lead to admonish ICOs, premines, instanmines, and I would assume that would include stealthmining launches. But in the end, all this did was mess up my own degrees-of-freedom to make my project come to fruition because I was trying to bend over backwards to find a way to fit into that impossible set of requirements. And now after all that, it ends up you don't even follow your own ethics.

Hey I am happy with letting the altcoin market be free of Sheriffs. So more power to your newly discovered ethics. I just feel slightly jaded for receiving bad advice from you. I am sorry to bring this out in public, and I must presume you have a good explanation. So I'll await to read your take on this. Thanks.

Is smooth - core member and one of the lead community managers of Monero - a hypocrite?

I did not ever tell anyone to invest in Steem. I think the long term prospects for the value of the token are not great. I've told the developers of Steem that. I've told people on my crypto social circle that. I've posted that. I don't know what more I can do.

I suppose reiterating here is good for disclosure, given you are somewhat a public figure.

I just wish you had made me aware of your open mind about profiting any way we want to, because I thought you were much more dogmatic in the past.

I am actually a free market anarchist, so I can't fault you for what you've done. Actually I must admire it. But I just feel you need to be consistent, so that we know how to interface with you.

Also I think you could help by speaking frankly about the meritocracy of the fact that you could get $50,000 a week for basically a very minimal effort. You could perhaps influence some speculators and newbies to think carefully about what types of projects they want to support. Without being too dogmatic, just about the value of meritocracy.

I did not support the sneaky-mine and said at the time that I would not promote the coin to crypto speculators (although kind of an easy promise to make since I never promote any crypto coins -- my best guess is all going to zero, though at different rates). It was, however, far more transparent and than the Dash instamine or the Bytecoin hidden premine. For the record, when I first stated that opinion (after the initial mining) it was worth approximately nothing, so the the alleged current market value has changed nothing here.

That said, I also do not think it necessarily will with certainty go to zero, and people can do their own analysis and reach their own conclusions. Hell, even Auroracoin and other pure garbage (nothing person to Auroracoin devs) still has some value. Steem has more merit than that.

What is the merit of Steem? It is a premeditated pyramid. Designed to be so. How can we reach an alternative conclusion? By what math and analysis? Dan et al are not dumb. They computed all this.
iamnotback

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 03:24:27 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2016, 06:08:38 PM by iamnotback

One last follow up for posterity and we'll leave it at this mutual understanding:

I congratulate @Smooth for his quick wit and bullseye accuracy in choosing such profitable venture...  

WOW @5M usd  Shocked

Note he was forced to remain invested and 50% can only be cashed out over a 2 year period.

The following is for those were so moralistic and idealistic in the past but suddenly lost their value system because of money.

PoS isn't trustless and it requires centralized control. Steemit's block chain is DPoS. The white paper is lying.

Who has millions invested a corporate controlled block chain? Raise your hand, so we can throw eggs at you. (Don't use the lame excuse that you can't cash out, this was your decision to invest under those terms)

P.S.:

Hey dude! Why do you waste your time jutifying yourself to nerds on a crypto forum when you could be in your private yacht sipping mojitos with lots of bitches ! Tell us all to fuck off and go spend your millions! That's what i would do anyway.

+1

Lol. I must agree. (as long as he is confident he has cleared any potential legality issues)

Note he was forced to remain invested and 50% can only be cashed out over a 2 year period.

nevermind if he can withdraw 50.000 usd everyweek,  he still richer than me in just few month...  i hope he make a good use of his money.   Grin

I mean he is forced to remain silent, go soft, and (by doing that lend) support to a project which intentionally misleads its user base and attempts to place its investors in a jail to force them to become menial laborers (content curators), because he compromised his values for money.

In short, he has no more ethical high ground any more. Which he sold for a few $millions (assuming he can cash out before it collapses).

He can not criticize any thing I choose to do on my project. I will remind him he already sold he ethical standing to the devil. He has lead the way and shown all of us that we should do what ever we can to maximize the money we can get, regardless of ethics.

Btw, I salute him. I am an anarchist. More power to him. I hope this is the end of his (or let's say Monero's community) moralizing crap. Altcoins are not church. Instamines, premines, stealthmines, PoShit-Stake consensus systems, and what ever any one wants to do. Let them all suffer the free market outcome of their choices.

r0ach and I warned about Ethereum in the Ethereum Paradox thread. Smooth was conspicuously absent from that thread. I never saw smooth heavily criticise Ethereum. Yet those of us who did, were correct. smooth was all over Dash like flies on honey. Obviously because it was the competitor to his Monero project.

I've learned that humans are always tied to their vested interests, and I suppose that includes myself also.
MasterMined710
Legendary

Activity: 1182
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 02:25:56 PM

Shocked looks like smooth has officially lost his white knight CJW (Crypto Justice Warrior) sheriff's badge.

wow, i can't believe i just now saw this. i have screenshotted it for the record and will spread it far and wide.
i was wondering why monero went up in price for no reason lately. i figured it was just speculators again and was waiting for the 50% crash like last time it doubled recently. or maybe that was just smooth back then manipulating the monero market with his profits from his new ninja launched, fastmined stealthmined instamine, 80% premined coin.

i'm still reading my way through all the different steemit ann threads (hmm, now where have i seen that tactic before, monero) and trying to piece together everything that went down but man does it look bad so far. i really liked the steem concept and was investigating it and thinking about investing more but the unfair launch and distribution is the worst i've seen. i thought the monero fastmine was bad or that the 4 week, 3 week, 2 week, 1 week pow to pos coins had bad distribution models but a 80% premine takes the cake!
is that 80% of the total coin supply or 80% of the current coin supply?  i know smooth and others like to lie and conflate the two when trolling dash so i want to get it right. since most of the new coin supply is created from staking not pow i guess it doesn't really matter, because just like those instamined/fastmined pow to pos coins the damage is done and controlled by only a few like smooth. what is the total steem coin supply supposed to be?

unbelievable that after all the years of dash trolling he goes and supports something like this, beyond hypocritical.
dash had a ~10% (total coin supply) accidental instamine (2 million coins) that went to the early miners and has since been heavily distributed or at least more so than btc and others. hell, satoshi and hal alone have over 2 million btc that we know of. probably only a handful of others hold several million btc as well.

DASH = Digital Cash         FAQ          DASHTALK        DashNews
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 03:31:13 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2016, 03:44:48 PM by smooth

The developers mined 80% of what was the current supply at the time of the pure PoW period.

Of that, they had and have a stated (and reasonably transparent) plan to sell 20%, give away 40% to new users (creating accounts on the platform requires funding), and keep 20%.

Not total supply, which doesn't exist since the coin has an inflationary supply model. Over time the initial distribution is essentially erased as stake share is continually redistributed to people who deliver the most value by creating highly-upvoted content (whether they are current coin owners or not).

BTW, I haven't bought any significant quantity (i.e. <1000 coins total) of Monero in the past year, so no I have nothing to do with the price rise, nor do I know who does.
iamnotback

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 03:48:23 PM

The developers mined 80% of what was the current supply at the time of the pure PoW period.

Of that, they had and have stated (and reasonably transparent) plan to sell 20%, give away 40% to new users (creating accounts on the platform requires funding), and keep 20%.

Not total supply, which doesn't exist since the coin has an inflationary supply model. Over time the initial distribution is essentially erased as stake share is continually redistributed to people who deliver the most value by creating highly-upvoted content (whether they are current coin owners or not).

Slight correction. Note that apparently due to the very high interest rate paid on STEEM POWER tokens during the first months (was much higher than the current 354%), and also being able to upvote their own posts with greatest voting power that 80% got further concentrated towards 90% or at least did not dilute much yet.

Also note that the give away to free signups is currently paused apparently while they improve the security, while the interest rate remains high.

Readers, smooth has stated he would be against the "pre"-mine. He did what any rational person would do if the potential for $4 million was laid out in front of you. Even if he had tried to publicize the "pre"-mine, the founders were intent on relaunching and doing what ever they had to. So I presume they would have ended up just switching to a premine if necessary.

Also my understanding is that smooth is interested in ways to onboard the masses into blockchain and crypto. Experiments have value, because they lead to better implementations of the key idea.

Note I have not necessarily jumped on board the Steem bandwagon. I am still doing due diligence.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Of that, they had and have stated (and reasonably transparent) plan to sell 20%, give away 40% to new users (creating accounts on the platform requires funding), and keep 20%.

Slight correction. Note that apparently due to the very high interest rate paid on STEEM POWER tokens during the first months (was much higher than the current 354%), and also being able to upvote their own posts with greatest voting power that 80% got further concentrated towards 90% or at least did not dilute much yet.

I didn't suggest otherwise. The dilution (of SP, as opposed to STEEM) as I described above is never extreme but takes place over a period of years.

The interest rate is somewhat illusory. The rate of inflation is also extremely high during the initial distribution (higher than the stated long term target of 110%); with >90% of Steem powered up, the SP was and is being diluted despite the high interest.

Voting for your own posts helps a little, but the largest collectors of author rewards have not been the developers, but instead successful bloggers who came later.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 05:04:31 PM

He did what any rational person would do if the potential for $4 million was laid out in front of you.

You also need to consider that he holds a delegate spot, which is worth $4,800 per day or $1,752,000 per year. Call me crazy, but he is being overpaid by a lot. I would do it for less than 10% of that in a heart beat. There is no way each delegate is bringing that much value.

Lol. I don't know how stakeholders aren't raising a big fuss about this. I guess everyone doesn't want to miss out on up votes from a whale because they spoke up about it. Delegates are whales.

Just add it to the laundry list of how unfair Steemit is.
iamnotback

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 05:30:16 PM

He did what any rational person would do if the potential for $4 million was laid out in front of you.

You also need to consider that he holds a delegate spot, which is worth $4,800 per day or $1,752,000 per year. Call me crazy, but he is being overpaid by a lot. I would do it for less than 10% of that in a heart beat. There is no way each delegate is bringing that much value.

Lol. I don't know how stakeholders aren't raising a big fuss about this. I guess everyone doesn't want to miss out on up votes from a whale because they spoke up about it. Delegates are whales.

Just add it to the laundry list of how unfair Steemit is.

So you understand why I am contemplating forking it (but the source doesn't allow forking so we have to start from scratch). But the devil is in the details. There is a massive amount of work to do to duplicate and exceed what they already have.

I am busy analyzing their strengths and weaknesses.

Also analyzing if the concept is even worthwhile.

Golden Rule: never rewrite a project from scratch unless it is unsalvageable.
Lebubar
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 07:03:22 PM

Is Smooth a Hypocrite ?
Yes.

And lack of Ethics, and conflict of interest, and...
Lukas_Jackson

Activity: 615
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 08:22:43 PM

Just passing by.
Every person who had a conversation with smooth could smell a rat. People knew that long time ago.

Don't forget, cryptohunter, to add your friend smooth there in a list of scammers. He invests in what he belives is a scam and have no problems with making money with it  Wink

Damn right, I'll invest in anything that I think will go up in value and, when feasible, short anything I believe will go down in value. I've done both with Dash, Bytecoin, Factom, and a bunch other scams (haven't shorted Bytecoin). In no way is trading an endorsement.

You see, I have problems with investing or even trading what I believe are scams. I don't want this kind of money.
You know what rats of this world say? Money does not stink. You just showed that you have no rules nor restraint in life. You are available to the highest bidder.
Well done and thanks for the words of truth about yourself.

Wink

It is easier to be an aggressive victim than to be a free man.
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 01:01:06 AM

Is Smooth a Hypocrite ?
Yes.

And lack of Ethics, and conflict of interest, and...

Thats what one can expect from a bunch of trolling bitches.  Hypocrites...all of them.  We had to endure months of absolute bull shit from these f!@#er's.  Constant verbal abuse and harassment.  scum

whoa whoa.. bigrcanada, smooth is one person only you sly rat...and look at these DASH shills moving here like a pack of hungry/noisy hyenas.

let's assume that smooth is a hypocrite...you all should welcome him to your hypocrite club

instead.. i smell jealousy..YOU HYPOCRITES haha
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 03:56:40 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2016, 05:32:35 AM by smoothie

Lots of is whining in this thread.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

TechorMarketing

Activity: 174
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 04:06:59 AM

Btw, smooth is cashing out roughly $50,000 per week. (assuming your $5m valuation of his SP is correct)

Is that a meritocracy  Huh

That seems like a reasonable rate of pay to me. Do you have any idea how many hours he has spend helping the Monero and Aeon community without asking for any monetary support? There are professional athletes that make 20x that amount per week and do less to help society than smooth.

AFAIK the 400,000+ Aeon development fund has not made any payments to smooth despite all the work he has put in. He answers technical questions for free all the time even about projects he is not involved with.

The fact that he is still here helping people proves that he cares. He could be on an island somewhere drinking cocktails but instead he keeps working and helping others who are less knowledgeable than he is.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 05:05:59 AM

AFAIK the 400,000+ Aeon development fund has not made any payments to smooth despite all the work he has put in.

Correct. The only payments were for bounties for mining software (not to me).

balance: 458951.354894133816, unlocked balance: 458951.354894133816
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: