Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:33:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please dont let bitcoinstore fail, your action is needed just about now.  (Read 24193 times)
Isokivi (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 08:04:12 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2013, 08:47:10 AM by Isokivi

The http://bitcoinstore.com/ front page's counter puts them at 12% of the needed goal of 850k in sales during the first quarter, the goal is needed to keep them at their current pricing. It is by far the most ambitious push for bitcoins mainstream acceptance we have so far seen. I myself have bought 364$ worth of sdd hardrives. Recieved them and am pleased with how everything went. Im browsing to find something more I could use as we speak, but I can only do so mch. If you care about bitcoin, have some and need any electronics now is the time to act. The counter currently stands at 110,964 / 850,000$. They are beating all or nearly all their competitors in prices, simply because their profit margin stands at what normally goes to creditcard companies.

Seeing the counter as low as it is makes me sort of feel ashamed for this community. We really can and most certainly should do better.

[disclamer: the poster is in no way more affiliated with bitcoinstore than being a customer, who cares deeply about their venture succeeding.]

The time to act is now.

deeply concerned

- Isokivi

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
strike

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 08:17:18 AM

Very important thread! I thought exactly the same thing yesterday, and I am already feeling sad if the $850k goal doesn't get reached. Everyone should advertise the site. You can tell them the webpage is easy to use, very good amount of different products, prices are right now cheaper than in other shops, and delivery is reliable and quite fast.

Personally I am going to order a 24" gaming monitor next week.

ps. Isokivi u should add donation-address to your sig Wink I'd donate u right now for starting a good thread.
ThePiachu

Activity: 444
Merit: 307

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 08:19:28 AM

If their business model depends on getting big results straight off the bat, then it might be a bit unrealistic really. Shouldn't they be aiming to grow into their potential?

At any rate, I will be checking them out after I'm done moving.

1HWbVLhxj7bhewhyapMZpyhqWAeAhJd51E
My Bitcoin Calculator:
http://tpbitcalc.appspot.com/
Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 08:20:14 AM

Very important thread! I thought exactly the same thing yesterday, and I am already feeling sad if the $850k goal doesn't get reached. Everyone should advertise the site. You can tell them the webpage is easy to use, very good amount of different products, prices are right now cheaper than in other shops, and delivery is reliable and quite fast.

Personally I am going to order a 24" gaming monitor next week.

ps. Isokivi u should add donation-address to your sig Wink I'd donate u right now for starting a good thread.
Theres a donation adress right there (my e-commerce).. and I am not without my own reasons for posting this thread: If bitcoistore cant make it, what chances do small-time merchants like myself have ?

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 08:21:25 AM

I support this cause and use this as an excuse to buy some stuff  Grin

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
alir

Activity: 215
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 08:21:39 AM

Feels like their sales are exaggerated Lips sealed
Rockefoten

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 08:37:18 AM

I have kind of mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I would be very happy if Bitcoinstore managed to reach their goal. On the other hand, I feel they should be able to do this "on their own" without extra community efforts.
Anyway, for me, being an international customer, the problem is after including shipping, VAT and import tax, my domestic alternatives are usually more competitive.

But I really hope that they succeed in their $850k goal, as that would be a significant milestone for Bitcoin!
Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 08:41:35 AM

If their business model depends on getting big results straight off the bat, then it might be a bit unrealistic really. Shouldn't they be aiming to grow into their potential?

At any rate, I will be checking them out after I'm done moving.

I agree with you, but consider the field there working in, prices depend on sales-volume, sales depend on competitive prices. There really is no grow-gradually option in electronics, it's go big or go home. I personally would not have the balls for a such approach, but can most certainly have respect for someone having.

I'd also like to add that in my opinnion we can attribute a dollar or two of the current exchange rate to bitcoinstore... and should they succeed who knows 5-10$. A purchase from them now can also be considered a long term investment to bitcoin.

lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 09:13:14 AM

It's not up to us to support someone else's ridiculously ambitious project. There is a word for that and it's not looked upon favorably on these forums...

Additionally, I personally don't support rampant consumerism, so no I will not be buying anything I don't absolutely need.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 09:18:04 AM

A brand new business has already pulled in $110,000 in revenue? That is amazing cash flow for a brand new company. They should be proud.

Starting a new company and expecting first months cash flow to be almost a million dollars is a bit too ambitious. Maybe they should get venture capital if they want to grow that fast.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 09:32:46 AM

They need to hit the target only to maintain the vendor contract with Ingram Micro so that they can have access to the lowest tier of wholesale prices. So this push makes sense. After this, the store can sink or swim on its own.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 09:36:02 AM

Why would anyone help them?  Huh

As I have seen, their prices are way off. I wouldn't care if they lived or died. Bitcoin needs DECENT webshops around!

Helping a company like this, will not help bitcoin at all.
Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 09:49:39 AM

A brand new business has already pulled in $110,000 in revenue? That is amazing cash flow for a brand new company. They should be proud.

Starting a new company and expecting first months cash flow to be almost a million dollars is a bit too ambitious. Maybe they should get venture capital if they want to grow that fast.
It's the hardware suppliers requirement, not theirs and the whole competitive edge pretty much goes, if they lose this deal.

Gaff

Activity: 924
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 09:50:22 AM

Maybe they should accept other payment options?

No wait - hear me out. If the page said "You could pay with dollars and it will cost you x, and that's fine, but if you pay with bitcoins it will be y cheaper!" it might be a nice pull factor especially for the bit-unsure. Plus those paying with bitcoins already would get to feel smug, which is nice Smiley
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 09:51:41 AM

They need ~$739,036 worth of purchases in less than 21 days... That is insane! I am also really surprised they started so high, I know he wants to keep prices completive and I am guessing he is doing that by ordering whole sale. I know Roger Ver is behind this and he started memory dealers so I am kinda confused he does know the space and for a startup he should know this is insane.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 09:53:12 AM

I really, really don't want to re-hash old arguments.  But with all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth by newbies in this thread, I feel like I have to say something.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying this as someone who is against Bitcoin Store, or who wants to see it fail to meet its goal.  I'm saying this as someone who owns Bitcoins, who is in the market for some electronics, and who has spent almost an hour browsing their offerings.  I'm saying this as someone who wants to see every Bitcoin enterprise succeed, and for Bitcoin to grow and prosper.

But I'm also saying this as someone who has argued here, time and time again, against this obsession that some people seem to have, with promoting Bitcoin as a payment service instead of as an actual currency.

Bitcoin is a crappy payment service.

Unless you are spending Bitcoins that you already own with a producer who also wants Bitcoins, adding Bitcoin to the transaction makes absolutely zero sense to the participants, and provides very little benefit to the overall Bitcoin economy.  We all know the one place where this has been worthwhile.  And that's only due to the special requirements and ridiculous profit margins involved.

We are operating, competing really, in an environment in which the velocity of traditional paper money is lower than it has almost ever been.  The idea of beating fiat currencies, and existing payment processors even, by adding Bitcoin and a handful of middle-men to transactions between people who aren't even all that interested in Bitcoin, should be obviously self-defeating.

And yet a handful of Bitcoin early adopters continue to push this vision of Bitcoin.  Why?

In my opinion, the failure of Bitcoin Store to push Bitcoin into the mainstream as a payment service, with such an ostentatious goal of having such a large percentage of the entire Bitcoin economy spent on electronics in a single month, will have absolutely zero effect on Bitcoin's real growth, as a currency.  Because that's what Bitcoin really is.  That's how Bitcoin derives its value, from the bottom-up, from the interaction between producers and consumers and investors, from Bitcoin users coming together to mutually economize the time and effort spent producing things that they all consume.  Not from these schemes to try to attract new users to Bitcoin, and to try to pressure existing vendors into using Bitcoin as a payment service.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 09:53:59 AM

This thread niceley compresses everything wrong with the bitcoin community and these forums.

Half of you are like underpant-gnomes with a buisness model of.

1. Hoard coins. (Collect underpants.)
2. ? (?)
3. Profit. (Profit.)

Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 09:59:05 AM

Why would anyone help them?  Huh

As I have seen, their prices are way off. I wouldn't care if they lived or died. Bitcoin needs DECENT webshops around!

Helping a company like this, will not help bitcoin at all.
You do realize the bitcoin exchange rate gets checked at checkout, the prices in btc you see before that are outdated at best.

Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 10:04:47 AM

I have kind of mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I would be very happy if Bitcoinstore managed to reach their goal. On the other hand, I feel they should be able to do this "on their own" without extra community efforts.
Anyway, for me, being an international customer, the problem is after including shipping, VAT and import tax, my domestic alternatives are usually more competitive.

But I really hope that they succeed in their $850k goal, as that would be a significant milestone for Bitcoin!

The $850k in a month is only a temporary thing. If they survive, from here on it will only be 850k every 3 months.

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
Isokivi (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 10:09:41 AM

I really, really don't want to re-hash old arguments.  But with all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth by newbies in this thread, I feel like I have to say something.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying this as someone who is against Bitcoin Store, or who wants to see it fail to meet its goal.  I'm saying this as someone who owns Bitcoins, who is in the market for some electronics, and who has spent almost an hour browsing their offerings.  I'm saying this as someone who wants to see every Bitcoin enterprise succeed, and for Bitcoin to grow and prosper.

But I'm also saying this as someone who has argued here, time and time again, against this obsession that some people seem to have, with promoting Bitcoin as a payment service instead of as an actual currency.

Bitcoin is a crappy payment service.

Unless you are spending Bitcoins that you already own with a producer who also wants Bitcoins, adding Bitcoin to the transaction makes absolutely zero sense to the participants, and provides very little benefit to the overall Bitcoin economy.  We all know the one place where this has been worthwhile.  And that's only due to the special requirements and ridiculous profit margins involved.

We are operating, competing really, in an environment in which the velocity of traditional paper money is lower than it has almost ever been.  The idea of beating fiat currencies, and existing payment processors even, by adding Bitcoin and a handful of middle-men to transactions between people who aren't even all that interested in Bitcoin, should be obviously self-defeating.

And yet a handful of Bitcoin early adopters continue to push this vision of Bitcoin.  Why?

In my opinion, the failure of Bitcoin Store to push Bitcoin into the mainstream as a payment service, with such an ostentatious goal of having such a large percentage of the entire Bitcoin economy spent on electronics in a single month, will have absolutely zero effect on Bitcoin's real growth, as a currency.  Because that's what Bitcoin really is.  That's how Bitcoin derives its value, from the bottom-up, from the interaction between producers and consumers and investors, from Bitcoin users coming together to mutually economize the time and effort spent producing things that they all consume.  Not from these schemes to try to attract new users to Bitcoin, and to try to pressure existing vendors into using Bitcoin as a payment service.

As much as I agree with you, Im sure your not saying that bitcoin is at a point where hardware manifacturers or wholesale companies would be accepting bitcoin. In my opinnion this is the path there, not some blue eyed idealism where major buisnesses just choose to accept bitcoin because because we write polite e-mails. Sure I'd love to live in a world where the restauran who sells me a burger accepts bitcoins, uses them directly to pay foe their expenses and their producers and manufactures do the same. But it's not going to happen by word-of mouth / grassroot activism. I repeat this is the path, the goal atlest seems mutural.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: