Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ...  (Read 9124 times)
logicbomb666

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 04:05:03 AM

after a few short weeks, my original fix has been working, but now im getting stuck here:

So now armory sits stuck at scanning the transaction history... forever.   Only thing that fixes this issue is rebooting my computer.  ugh.

I think snare rolls should be used as a currency.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 04:20:01 AM

after a few short weeks, my original fix has been working, but now im getting stuck here:

So now armory sits stuck at scanning the transaction history... forever.   Only thing that fixes this issue is rebooting my computer.  ugh.

I'm working on the updates now that will make all this scanning go away.  But it's still a little ways away.

Until then, I think I figured out that the 32-bit version (originally the only 0.88.1 version released) is the culprit.  Can you please download the 64-bit version and try it out.  I think because of the resource usage, the 32-bit binary is running out memory space.

Hopefully that will solve your problem until I finally get this RAM-reduction release out.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 04:22:11 AM

I forgot to mention:  you must uninstall the 32-bit version before installing the new version.  I have no idea why, but the installer refuses to overwrite all the 32-bit installation files.  If you don't do this, Armory won't even start up.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
logicbomb666

Activity: 260

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 02:02:27 AM

I have installed using the link provided.  Everything seems good so far.  I will post again if any issues arise.  Thanks for your help!

I think snare rolls should be used as a currency.
DoogieHouser

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

Bitcoin Enthusiast

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:51:32 AM

Well, i managed to export the Armory private keys to electrum and then send the coins to my Bitcoin-Qt main wallet.

I liked the idea of having multiple wallets, but currently every time i restart the Armory client it get stuck rescanning the whole blockchain over and over again for hours, so i'm back to Bitcoin-Qt again  Undecided

Lucky you. I installed Armory on my both my Mac mini and and Windows 7 laptop. On the Mac, it run fine, I guess--it still takes about an hour to scan the transaction history, even if I only shut it down for 5 minutes--not the kind of wallet you want to have for "need-it-now" situations. So far, Armory appears to only be good for long-term storage. I can't believe how long it takes to get online. I would compare Armory's waste of time similar to the banks. Given how god-awful slow it is, I wouldn't commit ANYTHING to an Armory wallet that I might need in the next six months. Bump that! I can move Bitcoin between ALL of my other wallets faster than it takes Armory to sync.

On Windows, its worse. It gets to 17% of scanning the transaction history and stays there. It has been four days now, and Armory can't get past the 17% mark, after multiple attempts. Forget Armory! If I was billing out 1.5 BTC/hour to test their software, they would owe me 15 BTC.

--Doogie
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 02:28:36 AM

The next version has solved all of these problems (currently in the ramreduceleveldb and rrld_planB branches).  It's not quite ready for testing, but should be very soon.  Armory now builds the database and scans it on the first load only, saving everything between loads.  And only uses like 250 MB of RAM (which should be independent of the blockchain size). 

Obviously, this is a huge step up from where it currently is.  I just haven't had the time to overhaul the relevant code until now.

DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:01:46 PM

The next version has solved all of these problems (currently in the ramreduceleveldb and rrld_planB branches).  It's not quite ready for testing, but should be very soon.  Armory now builds the database and scans it on the first load only, saving everything between loads.  And only uses like 250 MB of RAM (which should be independent of the blockchain size). 

Obviously, this is a huge step up from where it currently is.  I just haven't had the time to overhaul the relevant code until now.

Didn't you say that in March?

If its true, all I can say is...THANK FARK FOR THAT!

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 03:31:41 PM
Last edit: September 21, 2013, 05:10:16 PM by etotheipi

The next version has solved all of these problems (currently in the ramreduceleveldb and rrld_planB branches).  It's not quite ready for testing, but should be very soon.  Armory now builds the database and scans it on the first load only, saving everything between loads.  And only uses like 250 MB of RAM (which should be independent of the blockchain size).  

Obviously, this is a huge step up from where it currently is.  I just haven't had the time to overhaul the relevant code until now.

Didn't you say that in March?

If its true, all I can say is...THANK FARK FOR THAT!

Well there's actually a pre-testing version available for Linux now, that you can technically checkout and use.  It has all the above properties, including 250MB RAM usage and saving scan data between loads.  But importing/sweeping/restoring addresses & wallets is a bit funky.  If you only do those ops while in offline mode, then it will rescan next time it's online, and then shouldn't rescan again until import/sweep/restore more stuff.  So far I've had it running for a week on my dev system, and it's stable.  But those rescan/rebuild ops are giving me more trouble than I was expecting.

Today I'm going to see if I can get it working in Windows.  It will have the same caveats, but at least it will help people move their money if they've been shut out up to this point.  

For reference, starting a company is a lot of work!   That's why this has taken me so long -- I've been thoroughly distracted with endless paperwork, negotiations, contract terms, lawyers, recruiting, finances, setting up bank accounts, etc.  I've been able to do some development in between, but obviously not at the rate otherwise.

So yes, I said these thing back in May, but I also hadn't anticipated going through such a grueling investment deal.  But now people can start believing me, because I actually have a version out there they can use Smiley

opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 04:31:43 AM

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of switching over to Electrum now. Armory maybe loads half the time and when it does it takes about an hour to get a proper balance. Not sure what's up with this wallet, but it's more work and time than I really have to spend. I double click on Electrum and it loads/syncs in about 30 seconds, and doesn't need huge amounts of memory or speed to work. I'm not bashing Armory, I actually wish I could still continue to use it, but the past 5 times when I needed access to my BTC I wasn't able to access them. Right now my index got corrupt "somehow" and has to re-build itself so I'm letting that run over night, then just sending my BTC to my Electrum address. Too bad, the potential and security was there but the reliability wasn't. Good luck with future upgrades.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 04:45:39 AM

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of switching over to Electrum now. Armory maybe loads half the time and when it does it takes about an hour to get a proper balance. Not sure what's up with this wallet, but it's more work and time than I really have to spend. I double click on Electrum and it loads/syncs in about 30 seconds, and doesn't need huge amounts of memory or speed to work. I'm not bashing Armory, I actually wish I could still continue to use it, but the past 5 times when I needed access to my BTC I wasn't able to access them. Right now my index got corrupt "somehow" and has to re-build itself so I'm letting that run over night, then just sending my BTC to my Electrum address. Too bad, the potential and security was there but the reliability wasn't. Good luck with future upgrades.

Unfortunately, the blockchain corruption is probably a Bitcoin-Qt problem, which I don't have much control over.  Nonetheless, you do avoid all that with Electrum.  But rebuilding probably won't fix it.  You have to add checklevel=2 to your bitcoin.conf or upgrade to 0.8.5.  Or maybe it really is Bitcoin DB corruption...

Give it another shot when I get the new version released.  You will probably be pleasantly surprised by it.

favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 05:15:04 AM

Give it another shot when I get the new version released.  You will probably be pleasantly surprised by it.

Is there an ETA? OR "when it's done"? Cheesy

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 05:39:49 AM

Is there an ETA? OR "when it's done"? Cheesy

I just got the new branch working in Windows, finally.  And a lot of issues I was having are resolved.  This means I can probably have a pre-testing version available in the next day or two.  However, I wouldn't recommend it for regular use, since it will be pretty rough around the edges.  But it will be sufficient for getting your coins out if you've had them stuck in Armory for a while.

Of course, I keep making statements like that and I haven't been able to stick to them.  I really should say "next week" and then everyone will be happy when it's Saturday Smiley  I'm not going to rush it, but all the stuff really is working quite well, including the cool new backup center...

voneiden

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 11:19:58 AM

The scanning doesn't take too long on my desktop (about 4 minutes) but it sure is going to be a delight to see faster startup. What's the right branch for testing out the linux version you mentioned earlier?

Thanks for your hard work!
kevinp

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 03:53:20 PM

As an additional data point:

I had to install the newest version 0.88.1 on my Windows system since the older version ran out of RAM and crashed.

Current system:
MacBook Pro booted into Windows 7
16 GB of RAM
Armory consumes 3.8 GB of RAM!

At this point, Armory is already approaching the point at which it will exceed the memory usage of most consumer PCs, which are still being sold in the 4GB or less range.

I would advise that the memory usage must the first priority in development, or else nothing else will matter.

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 04:52:50 PM

As an additional data point:

I had to install the newest version 0.88.1 on my Windows system since the older version ran out of RAM and crashed.

Current system:
MacBook Pro booted into Windows 7
16 GB of RAM
Armory consumes 3.8 GB of RAM!

At this point, Armory is already approaching the point at which it will exceed the memory usage of most consumer PCs, which are still being sold in the 4GB or less range.

I would advise that the memory usage must the first priority in development, or else nothing else will matter.

Read two posts up

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
xephyr

Activity: 285

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 09:11:02 PM

but it does have 2GB

That is not even close to being enough  Sad  You need 4-6 GB to run Armory with the current blockchain, but a less RAM hungry version is reportedly in the works.

I think you really need 16 GB RAM to run Armory 88.1 with the current blockchain. 8 GB is barely enough. Upgrading from 8 GB to 16 GB RAM worked for me.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 03:36:49 AM

I also have this problem on Windows 7, 64bit with both the Bitcoin-Qt and Armory-clients installed not on default locations.
Else it works, but this constant rescanning upon each start make it practically useless for me for "fast" transactions.
For offline wallets it's ok to wait for me.

It would be great if this can be fixed, maybe by checkpointing and a Merkle tree hash upon all successfully validated transactions.

I'm experiencing the same problem. If i close Armory and i run it again it rebuilds the database again. Is my blockchain corrupted? What can i do?

By the way is there a way to change the default .wallet location and run the wallets from another folder?

greBit

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:58:53 AM

The next version has solved all of these problems (currently in the ramreduceleveldb and rrld_planB branches).  It's not quite ready for testing, but should be very soon.  Armory now builds the database and scans it on the first load only, saving everything between loads.  And only uses like 250 MB of RAM (which should be independent of the blockchain size).  

Obviously, this is a huge step up from where it currently is.  I just haven't had the time to overhaul the relevant code until now.

I built direct from github on Ubuntu and Armory still performs a lengthy scan each time it loads.

Despite the optimistic messages (2 minutes left ... 1 minute left ... 15 seconds ...) it generally takes about an hour.

I have also discovered that after performing a spend (offline wallet mode) armory will crash silently. I have seen this twice. I can provide logs on request, this may be due to Armory believing BitcoinQt to be out of sync, when it is not.

Despite these niggles, Armory is by far my favourite tool for keeping BTC safe Smiley
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 05:09:40 PM

I built direct from github on Ubuntu and Armory still performs a lengthy scan each time it loads.

Despite the optimistic messages (2 minutes left ... 1 minute left ... 15 seconds ...) it generally takes about an hour.

I have also discovered that after performing a spend (offline wallet mode) armory will crash silently. I have seen this twice. I can provide logs on request, this may be due to Armory believing BitcoinQt to be out of sync, when it is not.

Despite these niggles, Armory is by far my favourite tool for keeping BTC safe Smiley

If you switch to the "testing" branch, you'll get the new version, which has it's own set of issues, but works very well if you are careful (don't interrupt the initial DB build or scan).  So far, I have experienced zero issues on both my Linux and Windows testing versions when I let it do its thing. 

The initial DB build takes 30-90 minutes, and 15-30 minutes for the subsequent scan.  After that, it's about 30 seconds to startup (plus a couple minutes if you haven't loaded it in a while and it has a lot of tx history to synchronize).

manetor26

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:03:29 PM

HI! I downloaded armory a week ago and its loading time its still a pain in the ass. I take forever to work, even when you close it and open again. Maybe its because I have encrypted (truecrypt) whole drive... dunno you must do something with this because its non use for most users (1-2 hours of loading time, no thx).

I have question about my private key and public key - where I can peep them in program (I can see them when I do paper backup - first 72 marks its my private key - root key, and second 72 marks is a public key - chain code, right ?)?

Also when I do a digital backup my addresses are not backup? Cause why there is another options to backup my individual keys? Could you explain it to me? If I don't do a backup of my addresses I lose the money in them?

Thanks for understanding those noob question, I'm waiting for answer Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: