Print  
Author Topic: ...  (Read 9137 times)
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:42:24 PM

I have question about my private key and public key - where I can peep them in program (I can see them when I do paper backup - first 72 marks its my private key - root key, and second 72 marks is a public key - chain code, right ?)?
The root key and the chain code are not the same thing.  The root key together with the chain code allows Armory to generate an essentially infinite sequence of private and public keys (this is used in ordinary wallets).  The first public key together with the chain code allows Armory to generate all the public keys, but not the private ones (this is used in watch-only wallets, they only contain the public keys, so you can see the BTC but not spend them)

Also when I do a digital backup my addresses are not backup? Cause why there is another options to backup my individual keys? Could you explain it to me? If I don't do a backup of my addresses I lose the money in them?

Both the digital and paper backups that Armory produces contain the root key and the chain code, so the backup protects all keys that Armory has generated in the wallet, and all keys Armory will generate in the future.  The backup of "individual keys" is only for the very special case that you have manually imported keys into you wallet that are were not generated by Armory.  That is a rare thing to do (and rarely a good idea).

manetor26

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:25:48 PM
Last edit: November 27, 2013, 12:03:52 AM by manetor26

That clarified some things - thanks!

I got a wallet and 4 addresses in there. I have made 3 translations - each time I have send money to an address A. Now when I open armory I see only 3 addresses B, C and D, but I don't see address A.
I see 3 incomes. My wallet show balance properly - but when I click on it I see only 3 addresses B,C,D and no A with my BTC on it. Is that OK ?

https://imageshack.com/i/5iw01ej

https://imageshack.com/i/046onaj
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 01:01:39 AM

Just hit "Receive Bitcoins" a few times and it will calculate the next few addresses.  I thought Armory would do that automatically when it found money in "future" addresses in your wallet, but I guess not.  It does include them in the blockchain scan, but doesn't display them because it thinks they are "unused."  Definitely a bug.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:47:16 AM

Not sure if I am at the right place/post, but I just started to use Armory and I am seeing the same problem.

I start Armory, and nothing happens, not splash, no gui, nada. It starts bitcoind in the background though. Bitcoind is at a default place and is synced.

If I kill Armory and restart, it starts up fine but complains about bitcoind already running. If I kill bitcoind first, Armory also starts up, but in offline mode.

Running Ubuntu 12.04 64bit, armory 0.90-beta (from official deb) and bitcoind 0.8.6
arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 09:03:17 AM

Can't see anything wrong in Armory's log. Last lines:

Code:
2013-12-16 10:01 (INFO) -- armoryengine.py:625 - Executing popen: gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/bitcoin/command
2013-12-16 10:01 (INFO) -- armoryengine.py:625 - Executing popen: xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/bitcoin
2013-12-16 10:01 (INFO) -- armoryengine.py:625 - Executing popen: find /home/myuser -type f -name "mimeTypes.rdf"
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: