Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:45:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeling like a 'tard - scammed by a malicious app  (Read 430 times)
P_Shep (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 01:27:02 PM

Didn't do proper due-diligence, made assumptions, and lost an annoying amount of BTC.

Installed what I thought was the legitimate android app for localbitcoins, lbcbit, turns out it just empties the wallet. :/

It should be removed from the play store soon, but in the mean time, yeah, don't make the mistake I did!
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
immangrace

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 02:39:59 PM

Would you give more details of this malware so we can avoid it ?
Sorry for your loss, how much did they steal from you and where did they transfer it ?

snipie
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 1140

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2016, 09:27:02 PM

Would you give more details of this malware so we can avoid it ?
I think OP mean this :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lbcbit.com.lbcbit&hl=en
I generally when I try to download the Android version of an app (even in PC) i visit the original site and download from it
Anyway what happened has happened, sorry for your loss and could you confirm the link in order to report it (saw positive feedback there!)

lissandra

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 09:34:13 PM

I would also check the standard sites like this http://www.phishtank.com/

And run the link of the download if someone ran into a similar situation. But seeing the name alone should sort of been a redflag since localbitcoins dont break their names down to simply in that form esp adding the bit at the end.

Sucks though. I hope you didnt get wiped out too hard, esp when the price of btc been shooting up..  Embarrassed

SexyBits

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 12:56:05 AM

I reported it as well.  This same app was on Google Play last year and scammed a bunch of people, I think Google only got around to removing it after Coindesk did an article about it being a scam.

Some future advice for anyone installing sensitive content from the Play Store: Check for fake reviews. This one has a 4.6 rating and lots of 5 star reviews but once you read them you can tell somethings wrong- Ratings are all from same 2 day period, all have similar writing style, avatars all look similar (this one has a bunch of reviews from attractive white guys in suits), English sounding names but very bad English in the reviews, duplicate reviews from different people. The only 3 reviews that appear to be from real people are all saying that the app is scam.

Sorry you got robbed OP, I hope it wasn't for too much and you are able to bounce back.
P_Shep (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 09:44:39 AM

Yep, that's the one. I didn't want to link to it directly.

I can swallow the loss, I'm not so stupid to put too much anywhere!
andreld

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 10:37:13 AM

It's a good idea you not keep all the coins in 1 place,i use myself android as wallet but i am very cautious and not installing anything unknow or fishy from the playstore!

Best is to buy trezor if you use a lot coins!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: