Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:18:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How large an Amazon EC2 instance for Bitcoin?  (Read 3638 times)
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:40:00 PM

Amazon EC2 purpose is handle highly scalable services.

NOT critical services.

It was made to handle netflix, where there are no damage if the thing go down (Beside angry people).

It is not supposed to handle... bitomat.

But it seems like the same thing no? Its a server. Bitcoin needs highly scalable (look at gox!) and I think the Netflix people would think an enormous amount of damage would be done if it went down. Netflix is worth more then all of bitcoin combined.

I am sincerely interested in your opinion, but could you offer any facts to support it? Something I could read up on?

If GOX was using EC2, they be incredibly dumb, they would have to play by amazon's rules and could lose control of the information really quickly. Lets be honest here, for the benefits of EC2 you would not get them. EC2 is great scalability horizontally.

Thanks, but your still not saying why you think this. No examples? Nothing specific? Do you work for Linode?

Go read there privacy policy.

I'm late to the party, but what if someone just wanted to run a node?   It seems pretty safe to just have bitcoind running there, w/out any btc in the wallet.  

The following will demonstrate my lack of understanding, so please criticize and inform me.

Could you run bitcoind on free EC2 instance and then add it as a node to your regular box Armory/Bitcoind as an extra node?  

Is it possible to send to this node first to get that first confirmation?  

Basically, I'd want my own node to get into a block quicker, but I don't have the understanding to know if this would help.  I doubt it would as it wouldn't speed up the other 5 confirms.....

Or I'd just like to have it to have my own copy of the blockchain to verify against, it case the damn thing forks again.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:32:46 AM

I read before that Gavin used to run bitcoind on a micro Amazon instance, or the lowest priced Linode.

For my purpose, all I really want is a bitcoind that has walletnotify to get transaction information as it happens on the block chain. The wallet.dat file will be password protected by a really long password, and if that's not enough, it will not have any real private key information. Just the public keys. Care of pywallet.

FYI, pywallet can insert a bitcoin address into a wallet.dat file without the correct private key (or with the wrong one). bitcoind becomes a watching only node, that can't spend the funds it sees.

What's the cheapest service that can handle this? I just need transaction id, what addresses sent the coin, how much coins, and what block it gets confirmed in.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: