Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:37:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ID proof on Localbitcoins  (Read 1622 times)
philiveyjr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 07:56:47 AM

I am a trader on localbitcoins, and a lot of people say I sell bitcoins too, for neteller send me their ID proof to verify identity. But whats a safe practice to prevent identity theft ? I recently dealt with a guy who charged back and I later found out that he was using some other guys ID and even had that guy fooled(saying he was using his ID for some purpose).

Whats a good way about in general to send or receive ID cards without falling into identity theft ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 914

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 08:25:20 AM

I am a trader on localbitcoins, and a lot of people say I sell bitcoins too, for neteller send me their ID proof to verify identity. But whats a safe practice to prevent identity theft ? I recently dealt with a guy who charged back and I later found out that he was using some other guys ID and even had that guy fooled(saying he was using his ID for some purpose).

Whats a good way about in general to send or receive ID cards without falling into identity theft ?

There are people who are trying to scam on localbitcoins,even with ID verification?

Wow,i`ll never use localbitcoins again  Angry

I have no idea how to resolve this...

Did you lose money?

philiveyjr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 02:06:51 PM

There are people who are trying to scam on localbitcoins,even with ID verification?

Wow,i`ll never use localbitcoins again  Angry

I have no idea how to resolve this...

Did you lose money?

Yes, I had a Neteller account which got blocked because of this. The seller probably charged back or got money in through a scam. I am still on the stage of getting it resolved.

sherbyspark

Activity: 910

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 03:03:26 PM

If you use your ID on any of these online exchanges then everytime they ask you for the id, you should watermark the ID specifying the purpose so it cannot be misused at any other places.
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 03:59:12 PM

1.Stop trying to trade with methods which are reversible.There is not much you can do regardless of escrow or even real ID proof for that matter.Let's assume some guy provides his real ID proof and it turns out he is from a country miles away from your place.What you could possibly do ? Take legal actions ? Not sure if you can spend time and efforts on it.

2.The ID cards or address proofs would only work out in the cases if its possible for you to take immediate legal actions if the other party lies within your jurisdiction.

3.There is no way to stop identity theft expect you have the knowledge about separating a real identity from  a fake one.You can always cross check identities with google or the official websites.They have nice info about it.
philiveyjr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 05:31:25 PM

1.Stop trying to trade with methods which are reversible.There is not much you can do regardless of escrow or even real ID proof for that matter.Let's assume some guy provides his real ID proof and it turns out he is from a country miles away from your place.What you could possibly do ? Take legal actions ? Not sure if you can spend time and efforts on it.

I usually don't trade neteller or any reversible method on lbtc. I only buy it when I need Neteller to deposit to sites which accept only neteller at the time. I just happened to be unlucky that it was during my initial testing time, that this happened. However a lot of established people still trade neteller on lbtc and I believe they have had no issues so far.

If you use your ID on any of these online exchanges then everytime they ask you for the id, you should watermark the ID specifying the purpose so it cannot be misused at any other places.

Thanks! Thats actually a pretty smart way to achieve this.

tigerwood0432

Activity: 493
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 06:20:16 PM

Ask them to upload a high definition picture of them holding the ID in HD 300 DPI minimum = very hard to cheat

▄███████████████████████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████████████████████
██username 12345█████████████████████████████
███▒▒▒▒▒▒▒███████████████████████████████████
██1234567███12345678██12345678███12345678████
████████████████████████████████████████████
████▒▒▒▒▒▒███████████████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████████████████████████▀
CryptoPay

GET IT NOW
philiveyjr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 06:37:24 PM

Ask them to upload a high definition picture of them holding the ID in HD 300 DPI minimum = very hard to cheat
I have tried that too. But what would be the point of it since I can't legally file a case against them in a different country. Actually they have these other clients, who they ask for photos with ids, so that can be faked too.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: