Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:56:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: On the way to the post-Ethereum world  (Read 1894 times)
kushti (OP)

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 01:11:26 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2016, 01:38:15 PM by kushti

A note: I worked for Nxt(core dev) in 2014 and now working on Scorex ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1103640 ).

Nxt core devs were sceptical about smart contracts inclusion into core. I myself was also sceptical about some things included into Nxt core  Smiley

Bitcoin developers switched off many opcodes for a reason ( http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/25225/what-was-the-vulnerability-in-v0-3-4-that-allowed-an-attacker-to-steal-coins ). Then Vitalik complicated security conundrum with its "Turing-complete" approach.

Now Ethereum guys are making the biggest error in their career going to do a hardfork, because not all the contracts are equal and some of them are too big to fail. There are some talks(copied from Bitcoin community) on "miners will decide", but it is unlikely miners will have any reasonable discussion. Instead, they will just follow the "digital Lenin".

It is time to go another path. The core must be as simple as that. But it also need to be powerful enough to support protocols and applications built outside the core.

There are many designs possible, and there are many open questions and concerns about them. Nevertheless, as the topic is going to be hot, I would like to propose one design in July or August (after Scorex 2.0 release).

Ergo Platform core dev. Previously IOHK Research / Nxt core dev / SmartContract.com cofounder.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 01:23:27 PM

It should be noted that Automated Transactions (AT) has been running for over 1 year on two separate blockchains without incident (and yes I will accept the fact the two blockchains involved don't amount to a huge amount of capital but certainly ATs have been handling amounts above 1 BTC regularly).

There is a reason why we didn't provide a high-level language and developed each "smart contract" ourselves (with literally months of testing).

Getting smart contracts "right" is a very difficult thing to do so you need the "attack surface" to be as small as possible.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 01:40:22 PM

There is a reason why we didn't provide a high-level language and developed each "smart contract" ourselves (with literally months of testing).

https://bitshares.org/technology/industrial-performance-and-scalability/#smart-contracts
kushti (OP)

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 01:46:38 PM

Getting smart contracts "right" is a very difficult thing to do so you need the "attack surface" to be as small as possible.

Interesting. And what do you think about Solidity? Isn't it a language helping developers to make deadly errors?

Ergo Platform core dev. Previously IOHK Research / Nxt core dev / SmartContract.com cofounder.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 01:50:51 PM

Interesting. And what do you think about Solidity? Isn't it a language helping developers to make deadly errors?

For a start Javascript is about the worst possible language you could use to code anything in (so if Solidity has much in common with that then it is doomed from the start).

But in more general terms I think the problem is that "any high level language" is at this stage a bad idea as people simply don't realise how easy it is to find and exploit bugs in code (so you don't want anyone but experts writing such things).

The approach that was taken with AT was to simply do "machine code" (now assembly) and get every nuance correct in each smart contract.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

iamnotback

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 01:53:47 PM

For a start Javascript is about the worst possible language you could use to code anything in

Maybe you are not aware of ASM.js.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 01:55:39 PM

For a start Javascript is about the worst possible language you could use to code anything in

Not sure how that is even slightly relevant - the problem with .js is its dynamic type system and processing (static languages are far easier to secure).

spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 01:56:27 PM

For a start Javascript is about the worst possible language you could use to code anything in..

x1000..

Life is Code.
iamnotback

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 01:57:29 PM

Not sure how that is even slightly relevant - the problem with .js is its dynamic type system and processing (static languages are far easier to secure).

C/C++ code can be compiled to ASM.js.

ASM.js removes those dynamic types and GC.

ASM.js is statically compiled.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 02:00:37 PM

C code can be compiled to ASM.js.

ASM.js removes those dynamic types.

I'm not really sure why that would be better than AT (as it is about 10x as complex).

And having high-level languages such as C/C++ is not a good idea as I pointed out.

iamnotback

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 02:01:12 PM

C code can be compiled to ASM.js.

ASM.js removes those dynamic types.

I'm not really sure why that would be better than AT (as it is about 10x as complex).

Write once, run every where.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 02:02:51 PM

AT is "write once" but in any case that stupid "meme" was from Java and is generally parodied as "write once, debug everywhere".

Cheesy

iamnotback

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 02:04:02 PM

AT is "write once" and that stupid "meme" was from Java and is generally parodied as "write once, debug everywhere".

Cheesy

I am happy that you don't value the WWW. Figure it out. Wink
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 02:05:14 PM

Plenty of times my browser crashes due to .js (and I use NoScript always).

(if you are trying to be clever then you might want to try a bit harder)

iamnotback

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 02:26:19 PM

I see you don't understand what "no GC" means. Goodbye wannabe expert polyglot coder.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 02:27:36 PM

I see you don't understand what "no GC" means. Goodbye wannabe coder.

What a "wanker" you are.

Not sure why you just come here to troll me with nothing intelligent to contribute at all.

Seems like your supposed IQ has gone on holiday (about 10 years ago I think).

Why don't you do us all a favour and actually "fuck off" for good?

(the only supporters you have here are your sockies)

iamnotback

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 02:28:43 PM

What a "wanker" you are.

Every time I win the technical argument, you refuse to mea culpa. Stubborn ox.

Next time try to not making sweeping statements about things you don't completely understand, e.g. JavaScript.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 02:29:50 PM

What a "wanker" you are.

Except you have never won a single technical argument against me (you idiot).

Try actually arguing rather than insulting next time (but I know you won't as you never do).

iamnotback

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 02:31:24 PM

What a "wanker" you are.

Except you have never won a single technical argument against me (you idiot).

Wake me up when you realize the relevance of "no GC" to your point about the browser crashing.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 02:32:22 PM

Wake me up when you realize the relevance of "no GC" to your point about the browser crashing.

What on earth does GC have to do with that?

Try answering this question rather than another insult if you possibly can (as there is no sensible answer I am pretty certain that you won't).

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: