Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:48:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Netflix will be the next one  (Read 2808 times)
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 09:57:11 PM

Netflix will be the next one

My Prediction: After Wordpress, Reddit, (Classycams) and Namecheap, Netflix will be the next one.

I own rights for this one  Tongue

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 10:04:20 PM

That's be pretty neat, but I don't see why BTC would be of any large benefit to Netflix in the way that Reddit and Wordpress does, i.e. anonymity and freedom of speech.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 10:09:56 PM

Netflix is dying, they will be gone in a few years. Or maybe 10 years.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 10:28:46 PM

Really? Didn't know that, I thought they were on big growth curve. What is the reason do you think?

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 10:30:05 PM

Netflix dying?  What are they doing with all the money I'm sending them and not cable Sad

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 12:12:28 AM

Bitcoins for stolen movies would probably win over Netflix for bitcoins.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 12:13:43 AM

Doubtful, since TPB still handles that for free Tongue

ufmace

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 12:16:55 AM

Not seeing it... their big issues along those lines are the copyright holders' restrictions on where media can be played. I don't see any real benefit for them in accepting them. Plus, with Bitcoin, they have no good way to auto-debit your monthly fee. Maybe if they moved much further in the direction of producing their own content...

On the other hand, Youtube has been rumored to be thinking of creating subscription channels. Accepting Bitcoin could be a significant help for them if they did, since it would allow them to charge subscribers and pay producers in any country with minimal hassle.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 12:58:19 AM

I thought they were on big growth curve. What is the reason do you think?

Netflix' collection is shrinking as content owners revoke their permissions and seek to monetize their libraries by cutting deals directly with ISPs or using their own distribution channels (for example "HBO To Go"). Netflix has become a glorified middle man and now that digital downloads are displacing physically mailed DVDs, they no longer have a market advantage.

Netflix will go the way of BlockBuster.
kinghajj

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 01:36:27 AM

Netflix' collection is shrinking as content owners revoke their permissions and seek to monetize their libraries by cutting deals directly with ISPs or using their own distribution channels (for example "HBO To Go"). Netflix has become a glorified middle man and now that digital downloads are displacing physically mailed DVDs, they no longer have a market advantage.

Hence why they're moving on to original programming (House of Cards, Arrested Development). If those catch on, perhaps Netflix will survive, though it likely won't stay as predominant as it currently it.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 01:38:21 AM

Doubtful, since TPB still handles that for free Tongue

True, but having a good service that filters out or rates the bad files would be worth the BTC.

Here in Afghanistan we get our stolen movies from the locals for about $2 each.

People would pay for convenience.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
haitispaceagency

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Coinlancer.io ICO | Oct 14th

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 01:41:59 AM

Reddit will be the undoing of bitcoin. no one wants to touch anything associated with that paedophile trading site.

▄████▄
          ██  ██
 ▄▄▄▄     ▀████▀     ▄▄▄▄
██▀▀██     ▄▄▄▄     ██▀▀██
██▄▄███▄▄██▀▀▀▀██▄▄███▄▄██
 ▀▀▀▀ ▀██▀▄████ ▀██▀ ▀▀▀▀
      ██ ██     ██
 ▄▄▄▄  ██▄▀████ ▄██  ▄▄▄▄
██▀▀██  ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀  ██▀▀██
██▄▄██     ▀██▀     ██▄▄██
 ▀▀▀▀     ▄████▄     ▀▀▀▀
          ██  ██
         ▀████▀
Coinlancer
         ▄▄████████▄▄
      ▄▄████████████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████████▄
  ████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████▄
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████████▀
  █████████████████████████
  ▀███████████████████████▀
   ▀█████████████████████▀
      ▀▀████████████████▀▀
          ▀▀████████▀▀
CL
WHITEPAPER         ANN THREAD
Coinlancer
FACEBOOK     TWITTER     MEDIUM     TELEGRAM
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
!!
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 02:21:16 AM

I thought they were on big growth curve. What is the reason do you think?

Netflix will go the way of BlockBuster.

Correct.  The big content cartels have attempted to increase the fees collected from netflix by a factor of 4 or more.  When all of the multi year deals end they will either have to offer less or charge much more.  They have already started to make their own content but also cut back greatly. 

They may not die but it is going to be hard for them going forward.

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 02:23:34 AM

I wish they would take bitcoin, I used to pay with visa gift cards but it doesn't always work.  Now I just don't use netflix, so money they are missing out on.

Notanon

Activity: 388

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 02:38:49 AM

Beatport or Trackitdown would be good, IMO.
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 02:45:12 AM

Right now they have a complete monopoly on a service that everyone wants. They're one of the only media services that actually charge a reasonable price (compared to PPV, movie rentals, cable TV, etc). They are making more and more top quality programs themselves (including reviving the cult classic Arrested Development). They aren't going anywhere, in fact if their stock hasn't tripped in ten years, it will only be because a competitor beats them at their own game.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 02:48:53 AM

I dunno, maybe Netflix will go under.  That would be good.  A service like a premium YouTube would be great, something like Steam for indie movies and animations.  Anything to kill the entertainment industry and give artists back their souls would be cool.

klmist

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 02:56:14 AM

That's be pretty neat, but I don't see why BTC would be of any large benefit to Netflix in the way that Reddit and Wordpress does, i.e. anonymity and freedom of speech.

It could be useful to allow out of area customers to use their service.. right now it's easy to use a VPN to make it look like you're in the US, but if you don't have a US CC complete with billing address they won't let you in... I guess this would be a pretty niche market - although one that might be surprisingly well correlated with the current bitcoin userbase :p
Eri

Activity: 264

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 03:59:23 AM

while this may not be a major factor, netflix will have exclusive access to disney in a few years, and didnt disney just buy the rights to starwars or something like that? im not sure on that starwars bit though. but parents with kids would love netflix with the age restriction on, all the disney movies they can watch and some cartoon for a low fee. if disney does make some starwars series and it ends up Good and on netflix. i dont think netflix will be going anywhere, short of losing all the good content and leaving just the bad :X
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 04:04:30 AM

Soon netflix will be bundled with your internet subscription in various tiers, along with your youtube high fee subscription. Since the only computers you'll be able to buy are licensed dumb terminals using cloud desktops, they can happily make sure you aren't downloading any pirate movies. Behold, the terrible future

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: