Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:44:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Big Short  (Read 2167 times)
myself (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 01:05:20 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2013, 01:16:46 AM by myself

http://books.google.ro/books/about/The_Big_Short.html?id=QO3kYlcjhjkC&redir_esc=y
some funny part from the book Cheesy
There was a reason Greg Lippmann had picked Wing Chau to sit beside Steve Eisman. If Wing Chau detected Eisman's disapproval, he didn't show it; instead, he spoke to Eisman in a tone of condescension. I know better. "Then he says something that blew my mind," said Eisman. "He says, 'I love guys like you who short my market. Without you I don't have anything to buy.'"
Say that again.
"He says to me, 'The more excited that you get that you're right, the more trades you'll do, and the more trades you do, the more product for me.'"
That's when Steve Eisman finally understood the madness of the machine. He and Vinny and Danny had been making these side bets with Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank on the fate of the triple-B tranche of subprime mortgage-backed bonds without fully understanding why those firms were so eager to accept them. Now he was face-to-face with the actual human being on the other side of his credit default swaps. Now he got it: The credit default swaps, filtered through the CDOs, were being used to replicate bonds backed by actual home loans. There weren't enough Americans with shitty credit taking out loans to satisfy investors' appetite for the end product. Wall Street needed his bets in order to synthesize more of them. "They weren't satisfied getting lots of unqualified borrowers to borrow money to buy a house they couldn't afford," said Eisman. "They were creating them out of whole cloth. One hundred times over! That's why the losses in the financial system are so much greater than just the subprime loans. That's when I realized they needed us to keep the machine running. I was like, This is allowed?"
Wing Chau didn't know he'd been handpicked by Greg Lippmann to persuade Steve Eisman that the people on the other end of his credit default swaps were either crooks or morons, but he played the role anyway. Between shots of sake he told Eisman that he would rather have $50 billion in crappy CDOs than none at all, as he was paid mainly on volume. He told Eisman that his main fear was that the U.S. economy would strengthen, and dissuade hedge funds from placing bigger bets against the subprime mortgage market. Eisman listened and tried to understand how an investor on opposite ends of his bets could be hoping for more or less the same thing he was--and how any insurance company or pension fund could hand its capital to Wing Chau. There was only one answer: The triple-A ratings gave everyone an excuse to ignore the risks they were running.
Danny and Vinny watched them closely through the hibachi steam. As far as they could tell, Eisman and Wing Chau were getting along famously. But when the meal was over, they watched Eisman grab Greg Lippmann, point to Wing Chau, and say, "Whatever that guy is buying, I want to short it." Lippmann took it as a joke, but Eisman was completely serious: He wanted to place a bet specifically against Wing Chau. "Greg," Eisman said, "I want to short his paper. Sight unseen." Thus far Eisman had bought only credit default swaps on subprime mortgage bonds; from now on he'd buy specifically credit default swaps on Wing Chau's CDOs. "He finally met the enemy, face-to-face," said Vinny.

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 01:38:24 AM

I'm so getting this on the wife's kindle  Smiley

siulynot
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 01:54:39 AM

this is a great book, for real.

Edit... So.. whos Wing Chau right now on the bitcoin world? Mtgox? ("Between shots of sake he told Eisman that he would rather have $50 billion in crappy CDOs than none at all, as he was paid mainly on volume. He told Eisman that his main fear was that the U.S. economy would strengthen, and dissuade hedge funds from placing bigger bets against the subprime mortgage market. ")
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 04:29:54 AM

it's a great book. 

read Michael Burry's part of the story.  fascinating.
myself (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 06:06:52 AM

it's a great book. 

i wonder how much the medical condition did had a impact on the trades he made

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 04:24:35 PM

it's a great book. 

"children with Asperger syndrome do not have speech or cognitive delays."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002516/

i wish i had that disease.  Grin
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 04:25:50 PM

it's a great book. 

actually, maybe i do (Bitcoin)

"People with Asperger syndrome become over-focused or obsessed on a single object or topic, ignoring all others. They want to know everything about this topic, and often talk about little else."
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 05:01:24 PM

it's a great book. 

actually, maybe i do (Bitcoin)

"People with Asperger syndrome become over-focused or obsessed on a single object or topic, ignoring all others. They want to know everything about this topic, and often talk about little else."

I have been amazed at my ability to stay over-focused or obsessed with Bitcoin.  Im usually the type of person who becomes over-focused or obsessed about a new thing every two weeks.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 05:03:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLhqjOzoyE
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 05:24:44 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2013, 05:41:05 PM by Qoheleth

Edit... So.. whos Wing Chau right now on the bitcoin world? Mtgox? ("Between shots of sake he told Eisman that he would rather have $50 billion in crappy CDOs than none at all, as he was paid mainly on volume. He told Eisman that his main fear was that the U.S. economy would strengthen, and dissuade hedge funds from placing bigger bets against the subprime mortgage market. ")
As far as I know, there's no equivalent. There's no Bitcoin asset that's in such demand, with such low supply, that the volume has to come from shorts in order to exist. Of course, that might just be because, in the current buildout of the Bitcoin economy, options are about the most exotic financial instrument available.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
myself (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 07:16:40 PM

As far as I know, there's no equivalent. There's no Bitcoin asset that's in such demand, with such low supply, that the volume has to come from shorts in order to exist. Of course, that might just be because, in the current buildout of the Bitcoin economy, options are about the most exotic financial instrument available.
are you interested on CDS I can try to convince Raphael to code something like that on BFX  Grin

Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 07:34:26 PM

are you interested on CDS I can try to convince Raphael to code something like that on BFX  Grin
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Wink

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:45:55 AM

What about just "normal" options? Wink

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
myself (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:48:23 AM

are on the list same like warrants, turbo warrants and swaps

oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:51:40 AM

are you interested on CDS I can try to convince Raphael to code something like that on BFX  Grin

are on the list same like warrants, turbo warrants and swaps

Great, there will definitely be a market for that, MPEX is just insufferable sometimes.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:08:42 AM

I have been amazed at my ability to stay over-focused or obsessed with Bitcoin.  Im usually the type of person who becomes over-focused or obsessed about a new thing every two weeks.

There is evidence that Asperger's and ADHD are genetically related.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: