Bitcoin Forum
June 13, 2024, 02:53:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't see it ever really catching on  (Read 1273 times)
JarBinks

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 03:05:15 AM

While it is a little sad that more people do not share our passion, I don't really care!!

When I mention BTC to my father, a retired C-Level from a not small investment firm, he rolls his eyes and starts to ignore me.
I am so happy to see that.  BTC, and Crypto Currency in general, is still like the wild west.
Most people died in their 30's but a decent amount of the underpinnings of our current society where born back then.
   (Not to mention that a bulk of the old money was generated back in those days)
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 6540

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 03:06:09 AM

To really catch on, Bitcoin must work on two fronts:

- Usability. A bitcoin transaction must be as easy as sending an e-mail. There are some solutions out there already, like the bitcoin: shortcut. But they are still too complicated. And there is a major issue: Bitcoin addresses are too complicated. There should be a possibility like an "attached unique name", like the aliases in NXT. That would harm privacy a bit, but for most payments it should be ok.
- Volatility. I cannot remark it too often: An asset that does not work as an "unit of account" does not work as a currency. So the "get rich quick" function - that leads to pro-cyclic trading and exaggeration of volatility - is diametrally opposed to the "currency function". But without the story of Bitcoin becoming a worldwide currency the get-rich-quick function would not work.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Leonard2016

Activity: 1036
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 03:08:30 AM

i don't know why you can't see it because i do see it really catching on in the future. becasue it also has already started catching on you just have to look to see how bitcoin is growing.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Cryptonitex

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 04:21:54 AM

People usually tell me that they don't see it catching on because the price isn't stable.
I could see their point.

I mean like 30-45% increase in value. Went from $450 - 750 in like 3 days.
That's not a stable currency, but I'm sure many people were happy with the rise.
salmanahmedone

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 04:29:25 AM

People usually tell me that they don't see it catching on because the price isn't stable.
I could see their point.

I mean like 30-45% increase in value. Went from $450 - 750 in like 3 days.
That's not a stable currency, but I'm sure many people were happy with the rise.

"I can't see it ever really catching on"  is not true since past two weeks as bitcoin is rising more than expected. Then obviously when there is as sudden increase in the price, there can be a sudden decrease in price too. Its the traders to take benefit of the changing situations.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 05:29:57 AM

Grin
What do you think/say when people tell you that?

then you are ignoring what bitcoin is really offering. if you look at bitcoin as an investment just like many others who are doing it, you can see that bitcoin has been one of the best investments in the world that can give you a very good profit.

also if you look at bitcoin as a currency you realize how better it is compared to fiat. i am not saying bitcoin will replace fiat but i am fairly certain that bitcoin will replace any other form of online money and things like paypal will die soon because of bitcoin.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 05:45:24 AM

the people who said that back in the early days of bitcoin are now the people that are crying they didn't get in early.

Yeah this is pretty much the famous last words of even the most ardent Bitcoin naysayers  Grin Unfortunately I found out about Bitcoin too late but there were a lot of people who heard about Bitcoin in the very beginning but passed on the opportunity to buy even the smallest amount of coin and now they must have been kicking themselves for missing out on like the easiest money they will have ever made.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2016, 05:46:51 AM

Objectively speaking, there isn't much that can be said really because you can't possibly know if it'll ever catch on or not. Any argument you come up with will only either be pure speculation or just wishful thinking. However, in an actual life situation, where someone says that, what I say would depend on the context and tone of his/her statement.
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 06:31:38 AM

the people who said that back in the early days of bitcoin are now the people that are crying they didn't get in early.
Well to be honest I never believed in Bitcoin when it first came out. When the price went around $100 then I started to believe and invest. Then it hit $1000 and I sold most of my Bitcoin. Now I am earning it back.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4520

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 09:07:20 AM

Grin

just order them a pizza with bitcoin. and when its delivered to their house tell them they cant have a slice, because ofcourse they think bitcoin is useless..
then order their girlfriend some roses paid with bitcoin and ask them. 'should i put this in my name, or do you admit bitcoin is useful and want the greetings card in your name and make your girlfriend happy thanks to bitcoin.'

if they are single and more into gaming. offer them a game on steam and then say "oops nearly forgot you dont want it because bitcoin is not really "a thing"

in short. explaining bitcoin to people is just too much for those not interested. but showing them how it works and how useful it actually is, peeks their interest

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
pandalion98

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2016, 10:07:33 AM

Grin
It's somehow catching on. That's the thing people from years ago were saying, but look at bitcoin now.
densuj
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 10:14:09 AM

Yes, but there are many chance to get profit from bitcoin and another coins. We just need keep an update for bitcoin and watching news about cryptocurrencies.
partysaurus

Activity: 574
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 11:36:42 AM

í think bitcoin will catch on in the future, when more people understand what the fiat currency realy is , most people cant even grasp that. how in hell can they grasp what a bitcoin is then Smiley
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 12:53:53 PM

I can't see it ever really catching on

No problem. I can respect others holding a different opinion than me. However the statement lacks any justification for the negative expectation that Bitcoin won't catch on. That makes it appear quite arbitrary and I would be thinking that people making this statement are neither well informed nor did they really invest much time in thinking about Bitcoin.

I think I would try to talk to these people first and try to find out if my first impression is correct or not. If they have specific arguments then it's definitely worth a discussion. Otherwise it is a waste of time and I would suggest that they inform themselves a bit more before coming to premature conclusions.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
justdimin

Activity: 3038
Merit: 670

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 08:00:22 PM

Unlucky them, I guess.
Them not seeing the potential of bitcoin isn't our problem. It's theirs. If they seem to really not believe, then I guess we'd leave them alone and be on our merry way getting bitcoins ourselves.

It would be fun to be able to say to their face "Told you so!" one day.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: