Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: .
. - 0 (0%)
. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why going all-in is not financially responsible. Capital is your Security.  (Read 4174 times)
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 02:33:58 PM

I'll check this again later but I actually checked and Interactive Brokers does not own my shares I do. If I goes bankrupt I lose my balance in fiat (USD and Euro) but keep my stocks as they cannot be seized by creditors.

Am I totally wrong in this?

I asked about it once, and IB indeed does not own the shares, it's a specialized firm that holds it for them.  On the other hand apparently that firm can loan out the stocks for shorting too, so actually its not really safe either.  At least that is how I understood it.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:53:39 PM

I'll check this again later but I actually checked and Interactive Brokers does not own my shares I do. If I goes bankrupt I lose my balance in fiat (USD and Euro) but keep my stocks as they cannot be seized by creditors.

I asked about it once, and IB indeed does not own the shares, it's a specialized firm that holds it for them.  On the other hand apparently that firm can loan out the stocks for shorting too, so actually its not really safe either.  At least that is how I understood it.

The last portion I am certain is inaccurate. I joined their "Stock Yield Enhancement Program" 1.5 years ago. This program gives IB the right to loan out my shares to people willing to short and IB and me split the fees. When stocks in my portfolio are loaned out collateral is placed in my account matching the value of the stocks exactly (which is corrected every night) and I receive payments in lieu of dividends which match the dividends exactly. Without me joining their program they could not loan out my stocks (otherwise, why pay me for the privileged?)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:13:03 PM

Your understanding what the law says is correct but you still don't get it.

The law doesn't matter in "exigent circumstances". And every situation is exigent when following the law would benefit you instead of someone with more political clout.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:47:44 PM

The last portion I am certain is inaccurate. I joined their "Stock Yield Enhancement Program" 1.5 years ago. This program gives IB the right to loan out my shares to people willing to short and IB and me split the fees. When stocks in my portfolio are loaned out collateral is placed in my account matching the value of the stocks exactly (which is corrected every night) and I receive payments in lieu of dividends which match the dividends exactly. Without me joining their program they could not loan out my stocks (otherwise, why pay me for the privileged?)

Well, I don't have a direct IB account, but through a local 'middle-man' company for IB, maybe that is the difference.  (I am willing to provide you the emails in pm if you are interested).
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:58:09 PM

Well, I don't have a direct IB account, but through a local 'middle-man' company for IB, maybe that is the difference.  (I am willing to provide you the emails in pm if you are interested).

I am interested so please do. Thank you.
RationalSpeculator (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:57:28 PM

just thought it's a good time to bump this thread Wink
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: