Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:59:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What affect do you think will the block halving have on mining profit?  (Read 546 times)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2016, 02:03:57 PM

http://www.bitcoinblockhalf.com/

So I was interested in hearing peoples' perspectives on what they think will happen on block halving day ( I'm actually excited about it -_- Cheesy ) my own personal theory is that the price of Bitcoin itself and the fees from the trading volume rising so much will actually balance everything out and miners will either make the same as they did before or perhaps more because trade volume isn't limited in the way that block rewards are. What do you think will happen? Do you think I'm right? Do you think maybe we'll see a severe drop short term? Give me your reasoning, it's just interesting seeing the panic around block halving because we've seen all the hysteria surrounding ASICs and Scrypt mining and so on which makes me wonder if people aren't overreacting to the whole thing.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fravia

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 09:00:01 PM

So I was interested in hearing peoples' perspectives on what they think will happen on block halving day ( I'm actually excited about it -_- Cheesy ) my own personal theory is that the price of Bitcoin itself and the fees from the trading volume rising so much will actually balance everything out and miners will either make the same as they did before or perhaps more because trade volume isn't limited in the way that block rewards are. What do you think will happen? Do you think I'm right? Do you think maybe we'll see a severe drop short term? Give me your reasoning, it's just interesting seeing the panic around block halving because we've seen all the hysteria surrounding ASICs and Scrypt mining and so on which makes me wonder if people aren't overreacting to the whole thing.
Honestly i agree with you on this one, it is fun watching the mayhem come from the community surrounding this event, however i think it's well justified mayhem regardless of how entertaining it is to watch the wild speculations
Really i think that bitcoin mining will remain pretty static because of the reasons you've mentioned, i mean i'm no expert but you seem to have covered most bases

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2016, 11:17:12 PM

I've been experimenting with Bitcoin for a long time, but I just wanted to see what the more long term and professional members here thought, we've had a halving before apparently and it didn't change much so I suspect this will be like all the other stuff where it's all hysteria and no substance as usual from the people making claims about Bitcoin.

I hope I'm right and the market will simply re-adjust itself for the block halving as it seems to be doing but I am quite wary considering how substantial the reward drop is.
Jmild1

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 05:32:06 AM

I think that it is really kind of overacting because I think many people doesn't still know what will really happen in the event and they are just following the fomo that surrounds them.
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 11:02:53 AM

The block halving is going to have a small impact on the mining profit. There might be a couple of people that stop mining, but the reward is still relatively high.
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 12:36:04 PM

I Beleive mining profits will still be profitable,  now that all alts are  down in price bitcoin is the only sensible coin for people to buy and hold.  Miners will keep on mining and selling at a new higher price.  Should be win win for everyone.  A new floor will have been created.

DuckKeeper

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 02:17:57 PM

I dont think it would affect the bitcoin price it will only affect the small miners because it will only affect them the halving. Bigger miners will make profit but smaller amounts.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 04:12:22 PM

Well, this question is easy to answer if you only look at the very moment at which the halving takes places: The mining profit from new blocks will be cut in half. Cheesy

However with every halving, the importance of transaction fees will increase. So the reduced block rewards are likely to be partially offset by an higher total amount of transaction fees per block. At the same block size, fee pressure will increase somewhat. However I consider this effect at the current halving to be still very small.

I think overall, mining profitability will see a drop. New mining chips might ease this effect a bit, however I'm quite sure that the competition among miners will get more fierce. As a result, supplementary use cases for mining operations could be incentivized. For example using the excess heat for heating purposes.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
amacar2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1007

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 06:46:42 PM

I dont think it would affect the bitcoin price it will only affect the small miners because it will only affect them the halving. Bigger miners will make profit but smaller amounts.
Even bigger miners may get suffered use the mining calculator and you will see how much you could earn with one antminer s7 in one day, its 8$ around and deducting electricity cost and halving that value to 4$ will give 2 OR 3$ max daily profit and to recover antminer cost it will take more than year if those miner keep running. I don't know what better mining device those big miners use but i found s7 most recently developed and efficient available on internet.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
BryanC

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 07:27:55 PM

In looking at all the variables, I must be missing something.
Variables:
- Hash rate
- Difficulty
- Hardware cost
- Electricity cost
- Block reward
- BTC to fiat currency exchange rate

If all of the existing trends hold true (except for the BTC exchange rate - that cannot continue) I don't see how any of the hardware currently on the market (including the S9) could ever pay for itself. With the continually increasing difficulty/hashrate, a S9 would never pay for itself (unless you have free electricity, and even then you will have a LONG road). After the halving, your S7 is going to make less than a dollar a day, with decreasing profitability. An S9 will make under $7/day on day 1 ($0.11/kWh). The potential exists for a new S9 to never pay for itself.

The way I see it, the only potential mitigations are that transaction fees increase dramatically, or a lot of hardware is shut off. I MUST be missing something, because it doesn't make any sense. If the profit margin becomes razor thin, only large huge operators will survive, and you have the potential very quickly for two operators to collude on a 51% attack.

I'm really open to being corrected here, as people are still buying hardware, so they must see something I don't.

mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 07:39:26 PM

The block halving is going to have a small impact on the mining profit. There might be a couple of people that stop mining, but the reward is still relatively high.

Its high for those who are able to fork out some serious cash.

Those of us who arent willing to do the associated risk, are left out obviously. But in my eyes, its better to take less risk and focus other things to still get you the # of bitcoins that create fiat sales.

And still be in the game close to without mining it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: