Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:04:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: You have to "crawl before you walk" and the DAO tried to "run before crawling"  (Read 593 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2016, 04:20:56 PM

Sorry for the self-moderation but for sure that troll who has been following me will try to disrupt this topic so I will just delete his posts.

Originally after designing AT I was considering the idea of adding a "high-level language" (and in recent times I even discovered a project that looked promising to be able to do this).

Looking at what has happened with the DAO I am now glad that I didn't pursue this path and instead we only have ATs written in assembly code.

By "keeping it simple" (and also "very hard" as few programmers can code in assembly) we have managed to have a "smart contract" system working for well over a year without any issue at all.

Rather than try and rush things we have spent over a year experimenting with our small number of smart contracts to make sure that they are bug free (something it appears that the DAO developers didn't do).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Ihasweakhandz

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 11:21:42 AM

Hi Ian

there was a recent episode on let's talk bitcoin discussing the death of DAO, I mentioned your AT projects to Adam B. Levine in the comment section, but being code-ignorant, I couldn't take the discussion any further. I provided him with links to your website and to the burstcoin forum but he seems to be under the impression that the project is not active anymore.

This was his reply to one of my comments:

"I looked at the CIYAM website and forums, they seem basically inactive since last year. How do I actually learn about this project without being a developer myself? I'm always looking for advantageous technologies to use with Tokenly and we're definitely interested in smart contracts, just skeptical about complexity and scaling"

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/lets-talk-bitcoin-297-the-death-of-thedao-part-one

Could you get in touch with them to perhaps explain the technical side of things of your AT?

Thank you
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 12:24:53 PM

Welcome to get Adam to send me a PM here or if you have an email address for him then PM it to me and I'll invite him to the CIYAM Slack (I am online there pretty much every day).

Although not much new development has happened with AT for a while it is still very much alive and kicking on both Burst and Qora (and there are plans for its future which will most likely be unveiled in the coming weeks).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

Ihasweakhandz

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 12:50:46 PM

Thank you for your reply Ian, I don't know him personally. I was just trying to put ciyams work and burstcoin in a bit of limelight in the wake of the dao's "hack" as many news sites are claiming that smart contracts are "dead" even though yours have been running for quite sometime with no issues.

I posted part of your reply to the comment section so hopefully he'll get in touch with your directly from now on.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 12:57:34 PM

The unfortunate thing that is the case with "crypto" news websites is that most of the stories are in the form of "paid PR" (I know that for a fact as I have read such PR material before it was sent along with payment to such websites to then see it appear unedited).

In the case of Burst the PR guy stole all the funds that were supposed to be used to get articles published and faked his own death (yup - this is how shitty this space is and why I am not so active now).

I don't think anyone will bother contacting me unfortunately and I sure as hell am not going to pay them to publish PR (but maybe others will).

Indeed the AT smart contracts have worked without failure for well over 1 year (on two separate coin platforms) but pretty much no-one outside of those two small communities is even aware of this.

Ihasweakhandz

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 01:34:07 PM

Adam has just replied to my comment with his email address:

adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/lets-talk-bitcoin-297-the-death-of-thedao-part-one

he is saying that he is on the lookout for new technologies to use with his project so hopefully some sort of collaboration could be achieved between you and them

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/tokenly

I totally agree with your comment on paid PR / news articles and I honestly stopped frequenting those sites around the end of 2014. The quality kept going downhill and few got taken over by people who basically used those platforms to further their agenda and deepen their pockets so no integrity whatsoever.

Hopefully and little by little, things will change and good solid technology will prevail eventually with or without their PR.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 01:38:31 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2016, 04:54:17 PM by CIYAM

Adam has just replied to my comment with his email address:

adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Thanks - I have sent him an invite.

(turned out to be a total waste of time as he is not the slightest bit interested in the tech)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: