Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 11:30:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Altcoin - getworktemplate is still downloading blocks. Can't mine!  (Read 802 times)
RedStratocaster (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 07:17:53 PM

Hi Everyone, I just cloned bitcoin to create my new alt coin for learning purposes. Let's say "stratocaster".

I have been able to generate the Genesis block, run instances of stratocaster-qt and stratocasterd program without issues
and I have two local instances connecting to each other.

if I do stratocaster-cli getblockcount I have 0.

if I do stratocaster-cli getblocktemplate I have the message "is downloading blocks..."

I can't execute getwork RPC method because I used the last bitcoin version to clone, so that is deprecated.

I'm using parameters gen=1 and genproclimit=-1 in stratocaster.conf file but nothing is being mined.

I also try to start using minerd (or CPU miner) but since getworktemplate is not working, I'm unable to use it.

It's like I can't mine to get new blocks because I only have genesis block.
Has anyone know what I could try next?

Please help!
RedStratocaster (OP)

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 10:42:39 PM

Hey, I was able to fix this myself.
I'm posting the solution just in case anybody need it in the future.

As previously stated, after creating an altcoin cloned from bitcoin, I was unable to start mining (even using CPU miner) because getblocktemplate RPC returns downloading blocks.

Since just after I started my new alt coin I only have the genesis block, I was unable to get mining info from the core client to generate additional nodes.

I solve it by cloning the 0.9 branch of bitcoin with the same parameters I used to generate my alt coin.
In version 0.9, the internal bitcoin core miner is enabled and will start mining the first block every 10 minutes.

After I generate a few blocks, I turned again to version 0.12 and minerd miner was able to execute getblocktemplate and start mining blocks.

Hopes it helps!
Varuna

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 11:58:50 AM

Hi RedStratocaster!

Thank you very much for this workaround. I have been stuck in the same point for a week :-(
Is that the only solution for that?
Moreover, I was thinking about reinserting the mining capability inside 0.13.2.
Do you think it would be feasible/easy to do that?
I found out it is simply(?) a matter of reimplementing the getwork funtion in miner.cpp.
The fact is that the code of that cpp file has changed a lot since 0.9.5, which is the last version to have that functionality.
Since my coin would be mineable only through CPU and GPU (using NeoScrypt probably), it would be really useful to have the miner inside the wallet.
Would you be interested in the reimplementation of getwork?

TIA
mnfikri

Activity: 19

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 11:49:44 AM

veruna , any update for neoscrypt ? stuck on same getworktemplate is still downloading blocks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: