Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:31:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: armory refuses to use nonstandard dir  (Read 1660 times)
jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 4371

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 11:39:51 PM

hey guys, I am probably an idiot, but I have been beating my head against this for 2 days.

my C: SSD is too small to hold the blockchain, I have been trying to follow the troubleshooting instructions...tried em dashes, en dashes, spaces for the underscores, whatever I do Armory just fills up the C: appdata folder and hangs when the drive is full.

OK, so I am an idiot.

can somebody please post the actual correct syntax that makes this work ??

yeah, the other system that used to work...bitcoind crashes when armory calls it, despite repeated complete deletions and redownloads...at my wits end

yes, my clocks are synced, thanks

please help

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6653

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2016, 11:52:05 PM

To change the armory data directory, you need to start Armory with the option
Code:
--datadir=<path to datadir>
Where <path to datadir> is your path. If you have spaces in your path, surround the whole thing with quotes.

jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 12:02:08 AM

thank you so much knightdk!

yes, I started out with a direct paste from the troubleshooting page and then edited in my specific paths

I believe I have the required quotes in place

you use the double dash before datadir...is that to indicate the endash or the emdash?

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 12:12:57 AM

you use the double dash before datadir...is that to indicate the endash or the emdash?
Neither. It is literally just two dashes (hyphens).

jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 12:20:34 AM

I did try that as well, and that is certainly NOT what displays in firefox on my system on the troubleshooting page

–satoshi-datadir=_“_F:\Bitcoin\new\home\dir_”_ –datadir=_”_F:\Armory\new\home\dir_”_

what I see displayed is;

en or emdashsatoshi-datadir=underscore"underscorepathunderscore"underscoreen or emdashdatadir=underscore"underscorepathunderscore"underscore

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 12:43:24 AM

I did try that as well, and that is certainly NOT what displays in firefox on my system on the troubleshooting page

–satoshi-datadir=_“_F:\Bitcoin\new\home\dir_”_ –datadir=_”_F:\Armory\new\home\dir_”_

what I see displayed is;

en or emdashsatoshi-datadir=underscore"underscorepathunderscore"underscoreen or emdashdatadir=underscore"underscorepathunderscore"underscore
Ignore that. There are no em or en dashes and no underscores unless they are in your path. Those are wrong.

Just copy and paste what I give you below and change what you need to
Code:
--satoshi-datadir="F:\Bitcoin\path" --datadir="F:\Armory\path"
That is it. No underscores or other dashes except the double dash in front of each option and the dash in satoshi-datadir

jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 12:44:43 AM

and to be more specific, if I use the double dash in that syntax armory states that it is using the default path as the specified path can not be created

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 12:48:27 AM

and to be more specific, if I use the double dash in that syntax armory states that it is using the default path as the specified path can not be created
That syntax is correct. I think you have to create the empty folder first so that it already exists when Armory starts. Otherwise, that may be a permissions issue.

jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 12:54:12 AM

ran as admin and still got "data directory specified in the command line, could not be found and could not be created"

but it's right there...pulling my hair out, thank you so much for your help though

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 01:00:07 AM

ran as admin and still got "data directory specified in the command line, could not be found and could not be created"

but it's right there...pulling my hair out, thank you so much for your help though
Check the permission of the drive itself and make sure that any user can read and write to that drive.

jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 01:03:47 AM

yeah...I own the D drive...somethings fucky

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 01:06:06 AM

yeah...I own the D drive...somethings fucky
Yeah, not sure what is wrong. I don't think it has anything to do with Armory though. Mind sharing your startup command?

jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 01:12:28 AM

good idea, it is probably a stupid syntax mistake, and I can change folder names once I get it working

"D:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe" --satoshi-datadir=“D:\Bitcoin” --datadir=”D:\armorydb”

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 01:26:42 AM

good idea, it is probably a stupid syntax mistake, and I can change folder names once I get it working

"D:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe" --satoshi-datadir=“D:\Bitcoin” --datadir=”D:\armorydb”
I don't see any issues with that.

What is the exact error that you get?

Also, what version of Armory are you running?

jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 01:48:47 AM

"Armory is using the default data directory because the data directory specified in the command line, could not be found and could not be created"

0.93.3-beta-e59e10d38c

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 01:56:04 AM

"Armory is using the default data directory because the data directory specified in the command line, could not be found and could not be created"
That error only appears if there is an issue not with Armory. The comment with that error is:
Code:
This is true if and only if the command line has a data dir that doesn't exist and can't be created.
which indicates it is probably not an issue with Armory.

0.93.3-beta-e59e10d38c
Try upgrading to the latest version, 0.94.1, downloadable from: https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/releases/tag/v0.94.1

jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 02:05:58 AM

why on earth would it not find it when D:\armorydb is right here staring me in the face...??

lol

Wouter Mense

Activity: 14
Merit: 8

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 12:17:20 PM

What's the difference between: "  “  ”

Look closely  Shocked
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 07:52:55 PM

I don't think you can use those funky sideways quote marks. Erase everything and copy this exactly:

"D:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe" --satoshi-datadir="D:\Bitcoin" --datadir="D:\armorydb"

Also, are the Bitcoin and Armory dirs the ones that contain the wallet file(s)? They should be.
jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 06:26:08 AM

yep, thanks guys

I copied those funky quotes directly from the troubleshooting page

it looks like it is working now

do I delete the folder in appdata now?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: