Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 10:32:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: I had no idea how easy it was for Vitalik to freeze funds just like Ripple and am now wondering how hard it would be to fork the other 1000 cryptocurrencies.  What coins are the hardest to fork and why?
Bitcoin - Founding dev is no longer active and even though 2 miners control over 50% it is still the hardest coin to freeze funds in - 5 (71.4%)
Bitshares - Founding dev has moved on to develop new coin but chain lives on - 0 (0%)
WBB 2.0 - Not available yet but no miner will even have access to a full copy of the blockchain making hardforking impossible - 1 (14.3%)
IOTA - Not available yet but impossible to fork because too many nodes controlled by machines therefore no mechanism to fork - 1 (14.3%)
Rootstock - federated servers like WBB, but not available yet either - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL - What coins are the hardest to fork ? Crypto is not what I thought it was.  (Read 604 times)
useless eater (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 08:45:47 AM

It looks like freezing coins is much easier than I thought in the Coinmarketcap Hot 100 since all a bigtime dev has to do is propose it.  So I'm wondering which coins have devs who have left the project like bitcoin and bitshares, or are designing systems that do not allow for hardforking even when there is consensus.  Please help here, as you can see, my list is small, and I do not want a coin that is forkable AT ALL. Thanks.

Please give me a reason to put coins on this list. Coins with rock rock star devs like Vitalik, Evan, Sunny King, and Fluffy Pony have godlike control over their networks, and I am looking for the opposite (coins with no well known devs but many unknown devs).

Please correct me if I am wrong abouf any posted info thanks.
coinfello
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

FLAT OUT!!!

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 10:59:13 AM

Talk to Wbb dev Peter he is top man, I'm no expert on forking etc  Tongue
Mr. Sovereign

Activity: 534
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 01:06:13 PM

I would like to say it's WBB, but honestly I'm not sure.  From what I understand, they are sacrificing some decentralization for lots of impressive speed and security.  It's such a different way of doing things, that I'm not sure if anyone but the Devs know exactly how things are going to work yet.
useless eater (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 03:22:00 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2016, 03:32:08 PM by useless eater

I tried to speak to WBB dev, but I can't understand what he means.  Can anybody translate Swiss?

Question about new wallet.

Im looking for coins that are impossible to fork.

Is the new WBB wallet impossible to fork since no federated miner has a full blockchain copy ever?

The Ethereum fund freeze is making me realize that crypto is not what I thought it was

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1519486.msg15289286#msg15289286

Hi

When we move over to the regulator system wbb blockchain is not in the wallet anymore or on a miners setup.

To get there we will have a soft forks it is needed to switch to new system.

After this is done all wbb will be on v5 wallet and the blockchain is taken away from local system and wallets do not download and sync the chain as connection will be instantly.

Thanks

Thanks for the response.

I'm assuming that the only way to hard fork the system will be to convince every member of the federation to run a new fork, and so basically, since the only way to fork the system is to set up a 100% parallel system?  If that is the case, then you could argue that there is no way to fork the WBB blockchain after it starts (since you need 100% federation participation).  Unless it would only require a smaller %?

So it would seem that the strength/diversity of the federation is what determines the amount of fork-resistance.

Hi

If someone would try to set up a copy system it want work and regulators are trusted businesses , so this will help to ensure that a single entity can fork it on v5

That's sad v5 is the way forward.

Thanks

Peter

From what I read, the "regulators" are the businesses who run the federated servers.  No single business has access to the whole chain, and if a couple go down, then the rest of the federation still has the full chain as a group, but again, no one individually has access to the full chain.  It seems like a dynamic system that self heals as long as no more than a certain percentage of federated ("regulated") nodes go down.  

WBB is POW with low float, but I'm not going to speculate until I see at least a white paper.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 03:51:32 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2016, 05:24:11 PM by MicroGuy

Forking a coin is not necessarily a bad thing, it's really all about the intention of the fork. Are we rewriting the past, or engineering the future? I think rewriting history is a big mistake, while forking to make blockchain improvements is generally a good thing.

In the case of Ethereum, Vitalik Buterin is proposing a rewrite of history. A rewrite that will enrich him personally and the other investors of theDAO. See the conflict? This undermines the currency's entire ethos as a fake, a fraud, and a forgery.

"Ethereum is a decentralized platform that runs smart contracts: applications that run exactly as programmed without any possibility of downtime, censorship, fraud or third party interference."

I think by proposing this crazy soft fork/hard fork combo and panic calling the exchanges to halt ETH trading (over a smart contract problem) he's damaged his credibility, possibly beyond repair.

~~

For the poll, I answered "Bitcoin". Because bitcoin needs a fork and can't manage to get one.  Tongue Cool
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 04:12:43 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2016, 06:03:34 PM by ArticMine

It looks like freezing coins is much easier than I thought in the Coinmarketcap Hot 100 since all a bigtime dev has to do is propose it.  So I'm wondering which coins have devs who have left the project like bitcoin and bitshares, or are designing systems that do not allow for hardforking even when there is consensus.  Please help here, as you can see, my list is small, and I do not want a coin that is forkable AT ALL. Thanks.

Please give me a reason to put coins on this list. Coins with rock rock star devs like Vitalik, Evan, Sunny King, and Fluffy Pony have godlike control over their networks, and I am looking for the opposite (coins with no well known devs but many unknown devs).

There is a critical distinction between been able to hard fork a coin and been able to use a hard fork in order to freeze funds. The real threat here is the ability to selectively freeze funds and / or reverse transactions since this is what happened in Ethereum with the DAO. To do this a developer or core team etc needs two things:
1) They must convince the community (miners, users etc) to go along with the fork. It is one thing to propose a hard fork that is clearly beneficial to the community. It is a very different matter to act as a Judge Jury and Executioner, by freezing funds and / or reversing transactions. The jury is still out on this in the case of Ethereum. Will the Ethereum community approve the fork?
2) They must know which funds to freeze and which transactions to reverse. It is here where Monero and Dash (In the case of Dash only, If the funds are mixed) provide a critical second level of protection, since this information is simply not available to anyone due to the design of the coin. This is a very important benefit of private, anonymous and fungible coins.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2016, 11:15:20 PM

Coins with rock rock star devs like Vitalik, Evan, Sunny King, and Fluffy Pony have godlike control over their networks, and I am looking for the opposite (coins with no well known devs but many unknown devs).

I just discovered this thread, and thought I'd chime in, because your description of me is grossly inaccurate. I write VERY little actual code in Monero. My role, as a maintainer, is primarily coordination, testing, merging. On a higher level, as a member of the Monero Core Team, I am involved in stewardship, administration, architecture, and so on.

Take a look at https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/graphs or use a tool like git-fame.

That will show you that the REAL rock star devs of the Monero project are people like moneromooo, the late warptangent, Thomas Winget (tewinget), Howard Chu (hyc), oranjuice, mikezackles, and Shen Noether.

Similarly, looking at other areas of development like the Monero Research Lab and the Monero Core GUI adds several more parties to the list.

Then there's Kovri, which is really just a ton of historical work by orignal, and then mountains of work more recently by anonimal, EinMByte, and majestrate (psi).

Lastly there's the members of the Monero community, from the subreddit moderators (americanpegasus, dEBRUYNE) to the guys that handle the social media channels, to everyone contributing to parts of the ecosystem.

I am no rock star dev, and to call me such is incredibly insulting to all of those that put in tons of their own time with little hope of reward. I'm just a cog in a very large machine, and even if I disappear tomorrow Monero will continue unabated.

And to answer your question: without being overly biased, the answer is obviously Monero. The reason is because Monero makes it impossible to undo anything. If someone stole a bunch of Monero, what would we do? We can't roll back the chain, because by then the transactions might have gone anywhere and outputs might have been utilised in any number of legitimate transactions. We can't undo or roll anything back because there would simply be no point to doing so except to destroy Monero's immutability.

Rolling back is something that will never happen. About the closest the Monero community would come to that is to checkpoint a block to correct a major implementation issue that has caused a fork or to correct something that is so far beyond the social contract (eg. magically creating billions of Monero in a transaction) that to leave it is untenable. Monero's social contract remains fixed.

Rick M

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 11:33:32 PM

for me, in a DAC, it is up to stakeholders to decide it, if it means reshape future for better, no problem instead to create another toy  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: