Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:54:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to check blockchain programatically (transactions, addresses, confirmations)  (Read 2701 times)
DavidMonroe (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2016, 07:55:15 AM

Wait, let me get this straight.

I go here https://blockchain.info/wallet/#/login I log into my wallet, I click on Settings->addresses-> there I found my address which is 'blablabla123345blabla', I click on more options and I display public key to that address which is 'publicblablabla56789blabla'.

Now: This is NOT enough then to manage sending/receiving for that address? How do I get private key to that address? Do they hold it? I have another address listed as 'imported address' on blockchain.info and it has private key not public one. But all other addresses I create have just public key. Does this mean I still have to use their god damn API which they declined for me?

Or is the private key just for accessing the wallet as a whole and public keys are for every single addresses so I have one private key for all the addresses but many public keys for each and every one address...?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DavidMonroe (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2016, 08:04:08 AM

Because what I basically want to achieve is to be able to send/receive BTC no matter the API. I mean they can't limit number of requests if I use just a blockchain network right? I won't use any blockchain.info API, I will just access my wallet with a key I own throught the network and nothing else.  How could they limit that? What am I missing here?
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2016, 09:59:02 PM

Because what I basically want to achieve is to be able to send/receive BTC no matter the API. I mean they can't limit number of requests if I use just a blockchain network right? I won't use any blockchain.info API, I will just access my wallet with a key I own throught the network and nothing else.  How could they limit that? What am I missing here?

I think you've crossed a couple of wires someplace.

A wallet service, like blockchain.info and coinbase allows you to send and receive bitcoins. Your public key allows you to receive bitcoins, this is the address that you provide to people that you want to get bitcoins from.  Your private key is something that you want to keep to yourself and not share with anyone.  The bitcoin private key is universal, you can typically import it into any bitcoin wallet.  This is important because let's say, blockchain.info shuts down tomorrow, you can just import your private key into another wallet and reclaim any bitcoins you may have. Be very careful with your private key.

Both blockchain.info and coinbase offer API services, this allows you to use code to access your wallet to send/receive/sign bitcoin transactions through code. Both of them have limits in how you interact with the bitcoin network, this is to prevent bad actors and others from abusing their network.

With your own wallet installed on your own system, you can all of the above with no limitations.

You might want to learn more about bitcoin on a technical level, there's a video series here that's free (only the mining video is outdated): http://bitcoin.cbtnuggets.com/

I'd be happy to skype with you at some point if you're still confused and I can walk you through some more information if you're still confused, just PM me.
DavidMonroe (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2016, 02:29:59 PM

What is the current size of blockchain in MB/GB? Looks like my VPS with 30GB disk size isn't enough to run a full node? If I understand correctly I have to download whole blockchain for it to work.

This graph https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size shows 74k MB? Does it mean I need at least 74GB hard drive to run bitcoind on VPS these days?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: