Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:47:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: In re Bitcoin Devs are idiots  (Read 25372 times)
bullioner

Activity: 166
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:14:17 AM

What's stopping your company from hiring one developer to do nothing but code cleanups and submitting them to GitHub? There's nothing centralized about that.

The whole attitude of only having a single full implementation.  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ldrgn

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:15:24 AM

First off: BTC development is a free market.  This is the tragedy of the commons.  If MP is unsatisfied with the code he should stop leeching like a welfare queen and pay for development.

Secondly, maybe it's time to consider Google Chrome-esque updating for BTC clients?  There was already a game-breaking bug like this years ago with the integer overflow problem.  It really only improves the security of the network.
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:15:57 AM

On 2011 an external factor made Bitcoin nose dive...... Imagine what would happen this time.... Don't kid yourselves like some people in the IRC room. This is the biggest problem Bitcoin ever faced and it is waaaaay bigger than the MTGox. hack.

I am not pulling out I am just pissed off Bitcoin will suffer greatly because the DEVS MADE A MISTAKE! you dont freaking PUSH such things without proper testing. EVER HEARD OF TESTNET!!!!!!

No cause we're too cool for testnet and elbow grease, gotta spend 16 hours a day on -dev talking about what we think of Satoshi Dice and how many whales fatass Gmaxwell could swallow whole.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:16:14 AM

I am not pulling out I am just pissed off Bitcoin will suffer greatly because the DEVS MADE A MISTAKE! you dont freaking PUSH such things without proper testing. EVER HEARD OF TESTNET!!!!!!
The problem was with the old version of bitcoin. The mistake appears to have been not waiting for enough of the network to upgrade to the new version before enabling block sizes that were supposed to have been legal all this time.
bullioner

Activity: 166
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:18:46 AM

Another way to state the real problem: There is no Bitcoin Protocol Spec, most semantics buried in the hairball of the C++ reference implementation

Yes.  This will be the death of Bitcoin.  When a fully specified crypto currency comes along, it will leave Bitcoin behind.  "The implementation is the protocol specification" is wrong, and at Internet scale it is very wrong.
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:22:58 AM

JGarzick warned us about this  Roll Eyes. He literally suggested we leave the blocksize ALONE. BTW to all who defends the devs.Why do you want us to praise them when they do it right and now since they were total idiots you defend them? Have some consistency!

0.8 was a mistake. Fix it. Say you are sorry and were idiots. Bear the price nosedive and suck it up. Sleep it off.

- Lophie

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
Largo

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:25:13 AM

Another way to state the real problem: There is no Bitcoin Protocol Spec, most semantics buried in the hairball of the C++ reference implementation

Yes.  This will be the death of Bitcoin.  When a fully specified crypto currency comes along, it will leave Bitcoin behind.  "The implementation is the protocol specification" is wrong, and at Internet scale it is very wrong.

That and the fact that we didnt even have an emergency plan for things like this, everyone just meeting in irc and it even took like 30mins for the first forum thread to show up. What a joke.

But then, i dont blame the devs, they are doing a great job, maybe we just need more people working on it?
I would have no problem paying like 1% of my Bitcoin earnings as donation to people working on Bitcoin.

MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:29:39 AM

The topic is you calling a group pf people idiots that are doing something you can't do.

Seriously now. Try and think things through before you post them. What difference does what I can or cannot do make in this discussion?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Eiii

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:33:34 AM

Let's try and stick to the topic.

The topic is you calling a group pf people idiots that are doing something you can't do.

Right now there's no question that they deserve to be called idiots. What's happening now was easily preventable and shouldn't have ever happened under any circumstances.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:35:32 AM

That and the fact that we didnt even have an emergency plan for things like this, everyone just meeting in irc and it even took like 30mins for the first forum thread to show up. What a joke.
We do. We just never considered this specific possibility, so we were limited to the fallback plan: Emergency rule change

Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:37:16 AM

What difference does what I can or cannot do make in this discussion?

You're either a jackass braying by the side of the road or you're fixing the jackass's wagon. Which one are you?
Severian

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:39:04 AM

It's actually fucking amazing that this is first MAJOR bug in 4 years.

Amen.
ldrgn

Activity: 118

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:43:13 AM

that this is first MAJOR bug in 4 years.

Except for the integer overflow bug and all those CVEs, sure.  You can't even say "this is the first prolifically visible major bug in 4 years" as the integer overflow bug holds that title.
lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:50:07 AM

Only coins moved in the last 3 or 4 hours are in any danger at all. And most likely those transactions will be completely confirmed soon when the miners all switch to 0.7 and the two chains converge.

Till now 12 blocks have passed. which is alot. Don't belittle the problem if I dined in mez grill 1 hours ago paying with Bitcoin. Then an hour later I double spent the coins with a v0.7 bitcoind. The transaction WILL NOT BE REVERSE ABLE as it got buried in a block and WILL be buried in two VERY soon, and I would SUCCESSFULLY pulled off double spent  without the need for 51% of the network to make it "possible"

Good luck promising the people this will never happen again and convincing the new comers that txs are irreversible. The mass follow adoption it is the few who follows over deep understanding and non-inflected belief in the system. You just lost the majority of the "normal" users today. Make no mistake about it, this IS the new nose dive of Bitcoin.

And how do you think this will look since we just passed the all time high..... expect news flashes... "It happened again" and "The future money that keeps on falling whenever it got high!".

MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:52:03 AM

that this is first MAJOR bug in 4 years.

Except for the integer overflow bug and all those CVEs, sure.  You can't even say "this is the first prolifically visible major bug in 4 years" as the integer overflow bug holds that title.

Actually, to be more precise: this is a major bug rather than yet another opportunity for the disgusting circlejerk of patting each other on the back precisely because I said something.

I don't care and I don't want to hear stupid stories and even more stupid justification. This sort of incompetence is not acceptable for a half billion dollar thing.

If you earnestly believe this is the best you can do, leave.

lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:56:05 AM

Or keep your ideas to yourself and the forums. DONT SUBMIT (to the code base) THEM

meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:05:11 AM

ladies and gentlemen:

this is why the "bankers" make a LOT of money. they are EXTREMELY good at what they do and WAY more money is on the line every hour vs what bitcoin deals with in a year.

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Eiii

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:05:21 AM

Let's try and stick to the topic.

Right now there's no question that they deserve to be called idiots. What's happening now was easily preventable and shouldn't have ever happened under any circumstances.

It's actually fucking amazing that this is first MAJOR bug in 4 years.

I don't disagree, but it's disappointing and discouraging that apparently this situation-- which is an important, obvious one!-- wasn't tested before the changes were rolled out. The best thing that can come from this is hopefully developers will be much more careful about these kinds of changes in the future.
Severian

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:07:39 AM

ladies and gentlemen:

this is why the "bankers" make a LOT of money. they are EXTREMELY good at what they do

Manipulate governments and markets, spread disinformation through the media and rig the currency to their benefit?

Ya, bankers are experts.
lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:13:19 AM

ladies and gentlemen:

this is why the "bankers" make a LOT of money. they are EXTREMELY good at what they do

Manipulate governments and markets, spread disinformation through the media and rig the currency to their benefit?

Ya, bankers are experts.

Don't forget debt re-hypothication and lemon dancing debt between banks for interest. We are quite pissed off with what is happening but make no mistake sir. Banks are playing another league. This is the pro league.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: