Bitcoin Forum
October 21, 2018, 07:20:03 AM *
News: Make sure you are not using versions of Bitcoin Core other than 0.17.0 [Torrent], 0.16.3, 0.15.2, or 0.14.3. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Alert: chain fork caused by pre-0.8 clients dealing badly with large blocks  (Read 155098 times)
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:17:00 AM

Atlas warned about database change some time ago. Original discussion here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119566.0;all

Do not trust commercial VPN to save You from oppressive government! Get VPN service offered by a real cyber-dissenter https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4426691.0

1PG5HMwN51j8xYHKVFv9h1Tw4Jzc3fWXw3
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
dscotese

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 03:19:11 AM

I don't know if there are unit tests for the reference client, but I would bet there are.  Not one of them, obviously, tests for transactions as large as the one that forked the blockchain being rejected by old clients, but accepted by the new one.  Someone want to add that?  I would, but I haven't been able to get bitcoin to compile (not enough effort on my part - sorry!).

The problem, if I understand correctly, is that the 0.7 client rejected a good block because it didn't fit in the 0.7 database, and this caused it to ignore the block solution while the 0.8 client accepted it.  To the programmers way back when this code was being written, the assumption was that if one good client rejects a block, then all the good clients will reject it.  That assumption was wrong, so we have a fork.  BUT...

Both clients will continue to use the "blockchain with the highest cumulative difficulty" as the real transaction record.  This means that any transaction on the "other" chain will be re-broadcast until it's in whichever chain is "real" (which might switch back and forth when there are two notions of "real" - one for 0.7 and another for 0.Cool.  But the 0.7 client will never see the 0.8 chain as real because it has a too-large block in it.

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."
datafish
Donator

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

Swimming in a sea of data

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:19:16 AM

The sequence of blocks on blockchain.info currently reads 225449, 225450, 225451, 225441, 225452.

no

It looks like that odd block got purged and it now reads in order.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 03:20:09 AM

why the hell is Deepbit only on 0.3.21
Tycho has been very resistent to any change.

... and Luke on 0.6.0?
Eligius is actually running both 0.6.0 and 0.8.0 concurrently, but has 0.6.0 prioritized so it trumps 0.8.0 when there's a conflict.
It noticed and began reporting the problem immediately, but I guess wizkid057 was busy with something at the time.

I love this guy.

Luke -- perhaps this is a good strategy for miners to adopt. Perhaps someone should pay you (the Foundation?) to keep running like this to catch bugs quickly.

Hardforks aren't that hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
mjh5054

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:20:47 AM

Back up to $45+ ALREADY??  Could this widespread bug, and it's fairly fast community-assisted response, maybe actually bolster confidence in bitcoins?  Or am I getting ahead of myself?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:20:58 AM

... and Luke on 0.6.0?
Eligius is actually running both 0.6.0 and 0.8.0 concurrently, but has 0.6.0 prioritized so it trumps 0.8.0 when there's a conflict.
It noticed and began reporting the problem immediately, but I guess wizkid057 was busy with something at the time.

0.3.21 is ancient considering.  i think from now on we're going to have to make a much more public list of what version different pools are running so that individual miners can make a more informed decision on who to align with.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:21:08 AM

So if I may say something... I learned about this glitch fairly early on and immediately hopped into the bitcoin-dev IRC room. The impression I got was one of many brilliant, professional, dedicated bitcoin developers working together to resolve the issue. I was immensely impressed with them.

Even people like Luke-Jr and myself, who seem to be mortal enemies, worked politely together and did what was needed to contain the situation and fix things. Most of the people in the room stayed respectfully quiet and let the important work occur.

To all the amazingly intelligent devs who make this crazy shit actually work, my hat is off to you (even you, Luke-Jr!). Eternally impressed with your work, coordination, and skill. And this all being done for the simple passion of Bitcoin. Quite inspiring, really.
conv3rsion

Activity: 310

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:21:50 AM

... and Luke on 0.6.0?

Its awesome how fast you caught this issue because of your setup.
dscotese

Activity: 446

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 03:22:57 AM

Atlas warned about database change some time ago. Original discussion here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119566.0;all
I remember that and I remember that I dismissed the warning.  I stand by the dismissal.  Watch this get corrected to see why.

For example:
Back up to $45+ ALREADY??  Could this widespread bug, and it's fairly fast community-assisted response, maybe actually bolster confidence in bitcoins?  Or am I getting ahead of myself?

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."
symbot

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

Nobody accepts bitcoin on the moon.

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:23:14 AM

Gavin just tweeted this:  https://twitter.com/gavinandresen/status/311315494214987778

And suggested we go here for more info:  http://bitcoin.org/chainfork.html
conv3rsion

Activity: 310

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:23:43 AM

So if I may say something... I learned about this glitch fairly early on and immediately hopped into the bitcoin-dev IRC room. The impression I got was one of many brilliant, professional, dedicated bitcoin developers working together to resolve the issue. I was immensely impressed with them.

Even people like Luke-Jr and myself, who seem to be mortal enemies, worked politely together and did what was needed to contain the situation and fix things. Most of the people in the room stayed respectfully quiet and let the important work occur.

To all the amazingly intelligent devs who make this crazy shit actually work, my hat is off to you (even you, Luke-Jr!). Eternally impressed with your work, coordination, and skill. And this all being done for the simple passion of Bitcoin. Quite inspiring, really.

anyway that chat log can be shared? I know a lot of people would love to read it.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:24:04 AM

So,
- if you are using 0.8 and mining - stop mining and wait till proper instruction comes from the core development team.
- if you are using 0.7 and mining - stop mining and wait till proper instruction comes from the core development team.

Wait, what? No, just keep mining if on 0.7. Also, this really only affects the pools, not most of the miners.

I thought there was like a 4gb limit on the databases in 0.3.x?

OrganofCorti's Neighbourhood Pool Watch - The most informative website on blockchain health
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 03:24:06 AM

Quoted for posterity. Hats off to you gents!

Hardforks aren't that hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
fresca

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:26:53 AM

+1 to Devs
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:27:24 AM

Pffft!  Credit where credit is due...He nailed it by my quick read.

ehoffman

Activity: 378

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:27:35 AM

It is my understanding that it's still possible for the problem to occur, if someone keep mining on 0.8, right?  As long at 0.8 is in the field...

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
deathcode

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:28:47 AM

quite gay I must say... LMFAO!!!
nahh I'm kidding, above all, I'm impressed with how quickly the price recovered. That shows the community is actually mature enough to analyze the situation and not create panic, except a few morons.
That was impressive and the level of communication in the forum was also impressive!
Still gay tho...

joecooin

Activity: 363

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 03:29:57 AM

Back up to $45+ ALREADY??  Could this widespread bug, and it's fairly fast community-assisted response, maybe actually bolster confidence in bitcoins?  

Yep. Price will go up. Time to buy Smiley.

Joe

felipelalli

Activity: 226
Merit: 101

Hi! I am the Bitcoin Paranoid developer.

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 03:31:29 AM

Just writing here to make part of history. "I WAS THERE" when Bitcoin shows the 2nd high level bug!  Grin

~ 1LipeR1AjHL6gwE7WQECW4a2H4tuqm768N

Bitrated user: felipelalli.
haitispaceagency

Activity: 252

Coinlancer.io ICO | Oct 14th

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:31:47 AM

is the price going to plummet

▄████▄
          ██  ██
 ▄▄▄▄     ▀████▀     ▄▄▄▄
██▀▀██     ▄▄▄▄     ██▀▀██
██▄▄███▄▄██▀▀▀▀██▄▄███▄▄██
 ▀▀▀▀ ▀██▀▄████ ▀██▀ ▀▀▀▀
      ██ ██     ██
 ▄▄▄▄  ██▄▀████ ▄██  ▄▄▄▄
██▀▀██  ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀  ██▀▀██
██▄▄██     ▀██▀     ██▄▄██
 ▀▀▀▀     ▄████▄     ▀▀▀▀
          ██  ██
         ▀████▀
Coinlancer
         ▄▄████████▄▄
      ▄▄████████████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████████▄
  ████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████▄
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████████▀
  █████████████████████████
  ▀███████████████████████▀
   ▀█████████████████████▀
      ▀▀████████████████▀▀
          ▀▀████████▀▀
CL
WHITEPAPER         ANN THREAD
Coinlancer
FACEBOOK     TWITTER     MEDIUM     TELEGRAM
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.