Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:55:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Foundation names new Executive Director - today ends my term  (Read 419 times)
BruceFenton (OP)

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 06:03:11 PM

I came aboard to do a turnaround and think we did as well as possible.  The Bitcoin Foundation is in the best position it's been in a long time and this new leadership will be a big positive.

What does the Bitcoin Foundation do and why does it exist?
Today is a great example - as we speak today in Toronto we are running another DevCore event this one organized by board member Michael Perklin - hundreds of people are attending to hear from speakers like Petwr Todd, Andreas Antonopolous and others to learn technically advanced topics related to blockchain.

PRESS RELEASE: 
Bitcoin Foundation Appoints Llew Claasen as Executive Director

(Monday, June 20. - Toronto.).  Today, at the Blockchain Training Conference / DEVCORE Toronto, the Bitcoin Foundation announced the appointment of Llew Claasen as Executive Director, effective July 1.

Llew brings many years of international tech experience and project management skills.  He was elected by a board of directors vote on June 14.

Claasen said, "I'm looking forward to leading the Bitcoin Foundation going forward.  There is an amazing opportunity for the organization to help the Bitcoin ecosystem.  In the coming weeks I'll be working closely with the board, membership, transition team and various stakeholders to create the best plan for success possible."

Llew Claasen is a venture capitalist based in Cape Town, South Africa and Managing Partner of Newtown Partners.  He is a technology startup go-to-market strategist with deep expertise in designing, building, merchandising and marketing Online & Mobile software products and services (B2B, B2C, B2B2C).

Outgoing Executive Director Bruce Fenton stated, "I'm thrilled that Llew was appointed to this role, we think his skill set is exactly what is needed now."  Last month Fenton had informed the board of a desire to close out his term, he will remain as a board member.  "The foundation is in a great position and in great hands. I look forward to supporting Llew however I can in this exciting new chapter."

Board Member Vinny Lingham said "I've known Llew for many years and have worked with him in several capacities.  I think he will be a perfect fit for the organization as we build on the significant progress we have made."  Due to his long business relationship and friendship with Claasen, Lingham recused himself from the board vote. The remainder of the board was present and voted unanimously to approve his appointment.  The board also thanked Fenton for his work in adding transparency, financial controls and initiatives like DevCore.

Board Chair Brock Pierce echoed Lingham's statements and said "Llew's project management skills, geographic location and emerging markets experience are all huge advantages and we are all very happy that he has accepted this position.  The Bitcoin Foundation is in the best position it has been since I joined and we are just getting started."

Claasen will begin his work on the transition immediately with an official term start date of July 1.   He has said that he looks forward to speaking with individual members, corporations, developers and the community as he begins the role.

The Bitcoin Foundation is a 501c6 organization and the oldest and largest industry group focused on Bitcoin and has a variety of corporate members, individuals and international chapters.  The primary focus areas of the Bitcoin Foundation are on increasing adoption, fostering more Bitcoin development such as through the DevCore event series and encouraging global decision makers to seek technical over regulatory solutions for Bitcoin related matters.   Board members include Brock Pierce, of Blockchain Capital (Board Chair), Bobby Lee, of BTCC (Board Vice Chair), Elizabeth McCauley of Coinsecure, Vinny Lingham of Civic, Michael Perklin of C4 and Francis Pouliot of Satoshi Portal.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 07:39:37 PM

Great! Other person to vet the living shit out of.  Tongue On my first attempt to find out about this guy, I must say I like him. Here's a video of Llew Claasen giving a talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UIc3I0VTY

Thank you, Bruce, for your service at TBF.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 07:44:29 PM

Yes, thank you Bruce. You served during a crazy time and I know you put up with a lot of B.S. Thanks!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
BruceFenton (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 08:32:38 PM

Yes, thank you Bruce. You served during a crazy time and I know you put up with a lot of B.S. Thanks!

Thank you!
BruceFenton (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 08:32:55 PM

Great! Other person to vet the living shit out of.  Tongue On my first attempt to find out about this guy, I must say I like him. Here's a video of Llew Claasen giving a talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UIc3I0VTY

Thank you, Bruce, for your service at TBF.

Nah....you?    Smiley
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 08:38:35 PM

Congrats on winning your freedom from an institution with a very colorful history.  Smiley

BruceFenton (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2016, 02:08:07 AM

Thank you
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: